Shane Matthews: AR can’t throw the ball

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That isn't going to happen, Nola. Not in this offense.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry, is this some type of super sophisticated joke that went over my head? That one pass doesn't define his career. I must be missing something.
The joke, apparently. :lol2:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you subtracted his running ability I doubt there's many on this board who would choose Richardson over the other quarterbacks on the depth chart. Measurables alone are not enough.
Key word being “if”. However, he does possess that ability and it’s problematic for any defense when utilized.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I’d rather have a QB with his feet in concrete shoes who can actually QB than a guy who can “potentially” break a long run now and then.
Look at the teams that have beaten UGA, they had guys who could pass the ball. Trask / Burrow / Tua

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

I think you right. I believe Napier has a scheme/plan and he does not deviate. And as I said numerous times, if that is the case then play the future players.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
If Kitna really goes whole practices without missing a throw, he should get a shot. Let AR start against TAM. If he is not getting it done in the first half, give Kitna a chance.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
If Kitna really goes whole practices without missing a throw, he should get a shot. Let AR start against TAM. If he is not getting it done in the first half, give Kitna a chance.
This, if he has another game of 80 passing yards at the half, let Kitna get a shot

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's danger from running and danger from not running. You want to be able to run away from danger. But to fall in love with running? That's dangerous in and of itself. Consistency always wins out with the QB.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Or at least give him several series.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

And @NOLAGATOR

As I said on Sunday, remember it’s been Richardson himself that has said he wanted to show he could pass more, thereby limiting his running. You can still take issue with the scheme, but that’s not the reason for the limited runs. Word being leaked out like we saw yesterday regarding his entering the draft confirms to me that he has people in his inner circle that are advising him to do things a certain way. He/they don’t want there to be an appearance that he’s simply a running QB. What they don’t realize is they’re directly contributing to his issues because, without his legs, he simply isn’t a threat and the moment he tried shifting things he fell apart.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
He is also NOT comfortable and has no quick pass.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like every other team we play now is looking to hit Richardson in the legs in hopes of nicking him up and throwing off his entire game. It seems to be working.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe AR does offer a threat but NOT the way Napier is using him.

He needs to run and run hard at least 15-20 times per game.

If not, use your most accurate/quick read QB and let your backs do their thing. But you MUST add the quick pass and the deep ball.

So Shane addresses this. He says coaches do not game plan quarterbacks to run the ball. They game plan them to throw the ball. They may put in a couple plays here and there to take advantage of their legs but the point of a quarterback is to throw the ball. And he can’t throw the ball.

He said that no coach anywhere game plans around a quarterback running the ball as their main weapon. He said that fans that are saying that he is not using him properly, don’t really understand the quarterback position or how coaches even manage quarterbacks.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shane's right. The number of designed runs is low in college, even lower in the NFL. Running is viewed as a means to an ends, not an ends in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.