Shane Matthews: AR can’t throw the ball

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Shane been pretty consistent with his criticism of AR going back to spring I believe. Hard to argue with the guy 8 games into the season. AR has left a ton of completions on the field.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
1. He routinely misses open receivers.

2. Somebody asked how Spurrier would deal with him. He said he wouldn’t. He would’ve never even been a quarterback on his team.

3. He said Napier has opened none of his playbook. But it has nothing to do with his playbook. He said AR just can’t hit receivers. So they can’t expand the playbook.

4. He said in the QB weekly game planning sessions in college and the pros that they always go over plays and ask which ones the QB is most comfortable with. He said there are only a handful of plays that the Gators are actually running because he just isn’t comfortable with complex plays.

5. He said that AR needs to be sat but it won’t happen. He thinks it would be best for the team if AR went pro but it would probably be the end of a GM’s job if he was drafted in the first two rounds.

6. He said our only main five star defensive player can’t shed blocks (Dexter).

7. He said only two things can help us. Getting more talent and getting a quarterback who can throw the ball.

8. If you recall, he said at the beginning of the season that for us to win seven games would be almost impossible. He said if Napier won 7 games he should be national coach of the year. He also said that we have virtually no SEC talent on this team.

9. He also said that if you’ve been on the field in a Georgia versus Florida game, you can physically see the significant difference in size and athleticism between ours and Georgia’s players. He said it’s not even close.

10. He said the only thing that we can do to overcome that is to recruit and bring in talent. Over the last four years Georgia has brought on 25 five star players. We have signed 2.
Shane isn’t exactly Einstein about anything outside a football field, but he isn’t wrong about any of this.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017

2. Somebody asked how Spurrier would deal with him. He said he wouldn’t. He would’ve never even been a quarterback on his team.

3. He said Napier has opened none of his playbook. But it has nothing to do with his playbook. He said AR just can’t hit receivers. So they can’t expand the playbook.

4. He said in the QB weekly game planning sessions in college and the pros that they always go over plays and ask which ones the QB is most comfortable with. He said there are only a handful of plays that the Gators are actually running because he just isn’t comfortable with complex plays.

5. He said that AR needs to be sat but it won’t happen. He thinks it would be best for the team if AR went pro but it would probably be the end of a GM’s job if he was drafted in the first two rounds.

7. He said only two things can help us. Getting more talent and getting a quarterback who can throw the ball.

8. If you recall, he said at the beginning of the season that for us to win seven games would be almost impossible. He said if Napier won 7 games he should be national coach of the year. He also said that we have virtually no SEC talent on this team.

9. He also said that if you’ve been on the field in a Georgia versus Florida game, you can physically see the significant difference in size and athleticism between ours and Georgia’s players. He said it’s not even close.

10. He said the only thing that we can do to overcome that is to recruit and bring in talent. Over the last four years Georgia has brought on 25 five star players. We have signed 2.
Looks pretty spot on imo.

Spurrier would’ve played every QB on the roster by now.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

lol.....I'm sometimes shocked at the people who lurk on this board and read my ramblings.....Has anyone ever heard this before....Itraz.......Itraz are you still with us? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Shane been pretty consistent with his criticism of AR going back to spring I believe. Hard to argue with the guy 8 games into the season. AR has left a ton of completions on the field.
I was living up there when AR was in HS. Also even tho Shane is a real douchebag, he had this same view of AR when AR was in HS

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Aside from that, how’s he like our chances the rest of the way?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

You missed what I think might be the most important comment Shane made, and he might be right... He said he doesn't know if it's a factor, but wonders if the decision to bench AR or not hinges at all on the NIL money he's receiving vs Kitna or Miller (if they are even receiving any) and how much (if any) that is impacting coaching decisions everywhere.

I also thought it was interesting that he thinks our playbook is limited to 7 plays (not that Napier only has/wants to call 7 plays) due to the fact that AR just flat out is not football smart (your #'s 3 and 4).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I really don't think some of you understand how untalented this team as a whole is....we are less talented than anyone in this league except Vandy....we are WAY less talented than UCF, Cinci, ECU, Tulane and half of that conference.....bottom 1/3 of the B10 even. I don't care what Rivals says...we had lazy recruiters who didn't evaluate players or probably do any visits either. Trust me on this.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I dont see the correlation here. How does scheme/personnel improve one’s accuracy?
Timing and footwork are completely different. More important than you’d think.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I really don't think some of you understand how untalented this team as a whole is....we are less talented than anyone in this league except Vandy....we are WAY less talented than UCF, Cinci, ECU, Tulane and half of that conference.....bottom 1/3 of the B10 even. I don't care what Rivals says...we had lazy recruiters who didn't evaluate players or probably do any visits either. Trust me on this.

How many fuching times do we have to tell you our "recruiters" don't work for 24/7 or rivals and they don't rank the players. And I trust you about as far as I can throw your fat ass. :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
How many fuching times do we have to tell you our "recruiters" don't work for 24/7 or rivals and they don't rank the players. And I trust you about as far as I can throw your fat ass. :lol:
So if you go to buy a new car or used you just rely on the reviews? We picked guys who were barely 3 stars but got the 4th star because we offered...Trust me here this is how it works.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
AR is learning on the job and is not a finished product. His athleticism makes him irresistible at the next level. He throws way too hard but some of those balls will be caught by the guys at the next level. The Buzz started in the summer at the QB camps. He's the one they want to throw away their money on. And if he's going to learn on the job, he might as well learn NFL speed to begin with.

Could also be that he wants to get paid 1st round draft pick money before he gets exposed in Year 2 as unfixable and the infatuation wears off.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
55% Comp. Is it really a debate at this point?
If he’s not over/under throwing receivers, he’s missing them running open.

7 tds / 7 ints, If his last name were Franks/Jones you guys would’ve exploded by now.
Just not in the Daryl kind of way.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I honestly have no fuching idea how to even respond to that. :lol:
I know we don't give the scouting report on the players we recruit.....FFS....But when one big time school offers a recruit other schools automatically offer too raising the recruits star level/scouting report.....you still have to go watch them play on Friday nights or camps or visit their homes and HS .....do you think Lazy Dan or Fat ass Toad or their funky's ever did these things? No that's why we got so many 4 star bust.....make sense now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator