So Tell Me about Mac's Signature Win

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
It wasn't a well played game, by either side. LSU dominated in every offensive category except turnovers (2-0). My recollection is that they basically shyt the bed, nearly saved it by marching down the field in the last minute, and then shyt the bed again on the last 2 plays.

Signature win? God I hope not.

I would say UT 2015, or Ole Miss 2015 would be better to hang your hat on. At least we played well for part of those games.
Didn't we win the turnover battle in the Ole miss game too? You could say they gave us that game just like Lsu & UT gave us the wins instead of taking the game and being aggressive.
Just because of the amazing play by Callaway and block by Powell, that UT win at home is his signature win. It was about reclaiming the Swamp and keeping the unbelievable streak going against the Vols.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I will say that the Lsu win was extremely satisfying because of all the crap they talked leading up to the game. I felt disrespected as somebody that lives in Gainesville and in the path of hurricanes potentially. People from Lsu acted like asses and should've known better being that they live in a region that gets hit by hurricanes all the time.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'd have to say both wins vs. FSU in 15 & 16....oh wait. We got blown out in both of those games. My bad. The North Texas game, where our starting QB was still in late in the 3rd quarter and got injured because we couldn't put an also-ran away? I don't know. There's just too many to name just one!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The USA Today defines a signature win as a win that lets the rest of the country know how good you are...under that definition Mac has yet to have one. Maybe Michigan when we beat them?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's the win you look back on AFTER you have erased any doubt that you are good and realize in retrospect that it marked the turning point.

Win an SEC championship and then we can talk about a signature win.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I think we all have to agree it has to be FAU because if you lose to them you're basically Muschamp 2.0. He should have never of had to go to OT against them but without that win he probably wouldn't be here anymore. Wait that's not true it's ok to lose to teams like that and keep you're job we've gone soft

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So far - signature win: Corndog with a signature hit (ole miss a close second, ut 2015 third):

giphy.gif

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I think we can all look back to that game and point to it as a major breaking point. The wheels came off after that.

Disagree, in that I don't see that game as proof of turning the corner and becoming a power again. I see it as a good win where things went right for us against an opponent we should have lost to according to the paper comparisons before the match. My point is, it was a win, but not a 'real' win IMO as proof of anything. Fool's gold, in other words.

The USA Today defines a signature win as a win that lets the rest of the country know how good you are...under that definition Mac has yet to have one. Maybe Michigan when we beat them?

Agree. I don't think he's had one yet. The LSU game is a great win for the fans, but as a coach putting his program back on the map...not quite. Now, if he could have beaten F$U by now, or Bama in an SECCG, either of those in a decisive fashion - that would have been the signature win in my book. Right now, we're still looking for it.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The play calling really stood out also. We had wide open receivers all over the place for much of that game. Their defense looked really confused.

They're defense was horrible against the pass, any decent quarterback did that too them.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
A "signature" win is a win that you look back on maybe a year later as a game that turned the tide. Usually a championship or rivalry game that you're the underdog, but not necessarily. It's the win that defines the style of wins that follow. For Pell it was maybe the USC game his 4th year. For Spurrier maybe his first year defeating #4 Auburn 48-7. For Urbs maybe year two NC game. A coaches signature win is determined in hindsight. In any case in general it's a "Signature" win because it's a talented team that the coach has molded in his image to victory. Hall was on probation and had limited talent so he gets a pass. But Zook and Chump had loads of talent and only signature losses. Mac won't be eligible for a signature win until he has a decent QB or his signature will be not being able to develop a QB. Mac has two signature opportunities next year: 1) Beat Michigan and F$U - then maybe Michigan is signature eligible. 2) Win the East and beat F$U then F$U is signature eligible.
If however, you are asking what is Mac's best Gator win then I'd say meh.

I think Spurrier always pointed to the Bama win in '90 as his signature victory. That Auburn win was great too, especially since we lost a heartbreaker to them the year before and Emmitt left the field in tears.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't we win the turnover battle in the Ole miss game too? You could say they gave us that game just like Lsu & UT gave us the wins instead of taking the game and being aggressive.
Just because of the amazing play by Callaway and block by Powell, that UT win at home is his signature win. It was about reclaiming the Swamp and keeping the unbelievable streak going against the Vols.

You mean 4 turnovers to Florida 0. Two turnovers inside the 5 yard line, the other two within the Ole Miss 40. It was an ugly game for the Ole Miss offense.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ole Miss for sure. Coming off the UT miracle win, the stadium was electric from the get go and you could tell our guys were feeding off that. Total domination against a team that had won at Bryant-Denny earlier in the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Butterteeth's signature victory was signing with the same agent as Dawgchump, and fvkking us just as hard as he did.

Remaining employed while "fixing" the offense into the 116th is a close second.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Mac has a signature win yet. He needs to beat FSU for that to happen.

His best win is the Ole Miss game imo. They played as well as they possibly could in that game, which has been pretty rare in the last few years. Ole Miss was #3 in the nation at the time, and we scored 5 TD's on them. New Mexico St and Kentucky are the only two other teams that Mac has scored 5 or more TD's on in a game. Ole Miss was completely dominated.

LSU game is second in my opinion, but we far from dominated them, which is why I have the Ole Miss game ahead.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Butterteeth's signature victory was signing with the same agent as Dawgchump, and fvkking us just as hard as he did.

Remaining employed while "fixing" the offense into the 116th is a close second.
Thought you were gone. Oh well it was nice while it was lasted.
Go ahead and repeat yourself away.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A signature win is something that changes the trajectory of the program. So far we haven't seen that.... Tennessee and Ole Miss in 2015, look like more signature losses on their side. More defining for the opponent's coaches (more of what to expect from them, never getting good thing consistent). LSU could have been that last year, but then we completely $hit the bed against FSU and Bama.

LSU might have been a defining win, but we won't know for sure until this year. Did he change the culture/attitude of this program with that win in the offseason.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Too much baggage in this thread. The LSU win was the most satisfying, by a long shot.l

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was the Ole MIss game as things looked like they were finally starting to click, our QB was looking like he was really coming into his own, our fanbase looked like they were finally providing some electricity...then it all came crashing down...

It's no longer a signature win and it's not even a memory to anyone outside of UF/Ole Miss...we need a new one and their are plenty of opportunities this year. Michigan, lsu, fsu...either of those would be big but especially Mich or fsu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.