Sources: UF & Chip Kelly working on contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, but like your previous post suggests, Kelly could be a bit of a squirrelly hire. If he doesn't like the glad-handing and day to day hysteria of being a college head coach how's that going to jibe with being the head coach of Florida? His only other college head coaching job was up in the laid back northwest. Florida and the SEC are a whooooooole 'nother animal.

He just finished two stints in the NFL, so the thought here is probably a go. We'll see.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, but like your previous post suggests, Kelly could be a bit of a squirrelly hire. If he doesn't like the glad-handing and day to day hysteria of being a college head coach how's that going to jibe with being the head coach of Florida? His only other college head coaching job was up in the laid back northwest. Florida and the SEC are a whooooooole 'nother animal.
Well, do we wanna coach or a do boy?

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
He won at Oregon, took em to the natty and nearly won vs a team that beat Bama with a team made up of mostly mid level recruits.. Imo thats very impressive.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All things equal. No concern for buyouts and the such. I would like to take a straw poll here. Lets all vote for our #1 choice. Frost or Kelly?

I am in the Kelly camp.

Kelly 1
Frost 0

Well, Kelly saves us the buyout $

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well the only guy that really knows is Strickland of course, but NO.... I don't want it to happen, but I think if you pull yourself out of the mob hysteria and really try to look at it objectively and what would be the best for UF long term.... there are a number of young coaches we have talked about outside of Kelly who would fill that need. There is a culture at UF that is unique to us.... and either you understand and fit in or you get spit out or leave. I just would hate to see our school have to deal with the baggage that Kelly is sure to bring along with him. As it stands now we have a Boy Scout on our doorstep that will check off all the boxes and has a box of surprises in his offense that is sure to make all of us happy. The guy is a quiet strength leader... a toughness that the players will respect and learn from. The guy did put on a helmet and run the navy offense for his players before they played to show them how to defend it. Not sure how long he will be able to do that crap, but it speaks volumes.
Well it's Stricklin, we can start there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It isn't just the boosters I'm talking about, but face it, that $h!t matters.

So imagine you're Kelly and you're weighing the unappealing PR aspect of the position versus the opportunity posed by being on the East Coast, recruiting a state that is literally chockfull of the kind of skilled-position talent you know he's going to salivate over.

A little give, a little take.

These kinds of marriages don't just manufacture themselves. It takes a little luck and timing.

It feels so much like 2004.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Perfect. Sounds like another coach we had who was famously known to be an introvert in crowds and not much into glad-handing.

Also Kelly has dealt with the NFL media which is merciless. I think he can handle the softball questions he'll get as the UF coach.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It isn't just the boosters I'm talking about, but face it, that $h!t matters.
If he wins, he'll have plenty of latitude. Imagine not getting pussy for nearly a decade, you're willing to venture into the crazy territory on the graph.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he wins, he'll have plenty of latitude. Imagine not getting pussy for nearly a decade, you're willing to venture into the crazy territory on the graph.

I think I'll avoid imagining that. :lol:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So imagine you're Kelly and you're weighing the unappealing PR aspect of the position versus the opportunity posed by being on the East Coast, recruiting a state that is literally chockfull of the kind of skilled-position talent you know he's going to salivate over.

A little give, a little take.

These kinds of marriages don't just manufacture themselves. It takes a little luck and timing.

It feels so much like 2004.

I'm all for it, believe me. It's exactly the kind of exciting and attention grabbing hire we so desperately need. And the idea of watching a fast, explosive, no huddle offense after the sludge we've had to endure for the last 8 years gives me a chubby. I just don't want to be having these same conversations about our next new coach in 4-5 years. I'm over it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Kelly's experience is priceless. At Oregon his record speaks for itself. Also he continually adapted his offense as the league caught up. He's played in big games and against some of the best coaches. See the chess match video vs Harbaugh. When he went to the NFL he also had to adapt. At Oregon his offense was 89th in pass attempts, at Philly it was 6th in the league. He adapts, changes and can game day coach with the best. I'd be happy with Frost but those are all unknowns with him.

Last edited:

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
I've sent a plane for Chip.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_4.gif
Thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.