Sources: UF & Chip Kelly working on contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Oh good, someone's already covered that.

Seriously though, does anyone here think that SOS wouldn't love to fcck with the media during this?

spurrieraggyle.jpg
:lmao: Exactly! Gotta love the OBC.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For those who dont know and since it wont be posted here by GR8 2B I said it sounds like SOS has no clue because he used the word "Probably" in his wording.
Its like asking my boss if im getting my yearly bonus and he says "Probably" Im not going to run out and buy a new car on "probably" so sorry that doesnt carry much weight with me.
why don't you just quote what you posted? What is this, your second day on a message board?

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I think Mullen is an arse and don't want him hear but he had a good game plan yesterday against the bammers.

Hopefully we'll have Chip soon to lay the wood.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some tricky navigation beyond the regulatory issue.

There are some quirks to Kelly, many of which revolve around his stated preference of being locked in on coaching his team. Kelly isn’t keen on the booster glad-handing, rubber-chicken banquet speeches and general day-to-day hysteria that come with high-profile coaching jobs. Kelly has a low-key personality off the field, and he’s reiterated to friends that “fit and people” will be the ultimate determinations of where he coaches next.

Kelly wasn’t thought to be intrigued by SEC jobs, but Florida presents a different dynamic as it has more of Kelly’s preferred East Coast vibe. For now, it’s not known if each party is completely sold on each other. But the mutual exploration process is underway.

What’s unknown here is where Kelly’s head is. He’s famously reclusive, even to those close to him. He’s been speculatively linked to UCLA, a place where he could potentially hide in plain sight amid the din of Los Angeles. But for now, Jim Mora’s job appears safe, as UCLA is 5-5 with games against USC and California left to qualify for a bowl.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to not dream. This would be a huge, huge hire for UF.

Shortcast

Lifetime Member
Aug 10, 2015
So ... you made it sound like it wasn't happening because you know it isn't happening. Then you follow that up and make it sound like you just don't want it to happen and you don't really know it isn't happening ... you just don't want it to happen.

Well the only guy that really knows is Strickland of course, but NO.... I don't want it to happen, but I think if you pull yourself out of the mob hysteria and really try to look at it objectively and what would be the best for UF long term.... there are a number of young coaches we have talked about outside of Kelly who would fill that need. There is a culture at UF that is unique to us.... and either you understand and fit in or you get spit out or leave. I just would hate to see our school have to deal with the baggage that Kelly is sure to bring along with him. As it stands now we have a Boy Scout on our doorstep that will check off all the boxes and has a box of surprises in his offense that is sure to make all of us happy. The guy is a quiet strength leader... a toughness that the players will respect and learn from. The guy did put on a helmet and run the navy offense for his players before they played to show them how to defend it. Not sure how long he will be able to do that crap, but it speaks volumes.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to not dream. This would be a huge, huge hire for UF.
I agree, but like your previous post suggests, Kelly could be a bit of a squirrelly hire. If he doesn't like the glad-handing and day to day hysteria of being a college head coach how's that going to jibe with being the head coach of Florida? His only other college head coaching job was up in the laid back northwest. Florida and the SEC are a whooooooole 'nother animal.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, but like your previous post suggests, Kelly could be a bit of a squirrelly hire. If he doesn't like the glad-handing and day to day hysteria of being a college head coach how's that going to jibe with being the head coach of Florida? His only other college head coaching job was up in the laid back northwest. Florida and the SEC are a whooooooole 'nother animal.

I don’t care how he interacts with boosters and the media. Just. Win. Games.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Beard, right, with Buddy Martin wrapping up a UF win in 2009.

Yeah, that's Franz. Like I wrote on the main Chip Kelly page, he's spoken to our Savannah Gator Club twice. Very entertaining and folksy, but I'm not sure how "connected" he still is, given what he does for a living these days, which has nothing to do with covering Gator sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator