Recruiting Specifically, what has Mullen not done right?

If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• soflagator

• Slevin

• Okeechobee Joe

• GatorBart

• dubster1

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I agree that all new coaches come in with pretty much the same mantra.

We are going to instill discipline..
We are going to install a solid infrastructure...
We are going to emphasize strength and conditioning,,,
We are going to modernize facilities...
We are going to prioritize special teams...
We are going to open up competition...
We are going to instill confidence...
We are going to fire up the base...

DM seems to be delivering.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Agreed...and of course we have no other choice. But you offered one...waiting till next year in terms of recruiting studs?
I guess that could be it....I'm kinda saying that because more than a few on this board were saying that next year we will have the #1 class almost like we didn't really want it this year or something....In my book you grab EVERYTHING you can get your hands on when it come to recruiting......

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Ok....he's also waiting til next year to sign all the "good guys" :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:......Let's just wait and see.....They all seem to do all the right things when they get here....Champ, Butters did also..........Let's find out once the rubber hits the road.

I hesitate to buy into your narrative, but if you seriously think that DM didn't get some "good guys" THIS YEAR, then I must respectfully disagree. He walked into a shat storm and came out smelling like a rose. And no, WM and JM didn't start off as well as DM has - not by any reasonable standard. And although the inveterate naysayers may not care to hear it, we are getting visits and "buzz" from 5-stars, unlike anything we've seen in several years. It's true that DM hasn't won a single game or landed a 5-star yet, but for cryin' out loud, it's not even April yet.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Mullen seems to be doing a fine job so far. Too early to really go either way to be honest. That next recruiting class will tell you most of what you need to know about him. We need a huge class.

Agreed...the future holds two answers:

(1) How well what he is doing right now translates to the field
(2) How this translates to the next recruiting class

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And no, WM and JM didn't start off as well as DM has - not by any reasonable standard.
Go back and read the post on this board or ANY gator board after Butters of Muschamp were hired.....BTW I'm pretty sure both of them brought in 5 stars in their first classes but I'm too lazy to look it up....All of that aside it's all besides the point......AND since when doesn't UF get serious looks from top recruits? I've been a fan since the early 80's and I can't seem to recall a time when we didn't.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
He has done nothing wrong here as head coach, as of yet. He has said all the right things and I’m behind him. However, after going through this with Zook, Muscrat, and butters, I have my torch and pitchfork close. I have absolute zero faith that he will be a “winner” here. None. Zero. I will continue to hope but...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I guess that could be it....I'm kinda saying that because more than a few on this board were saying that next year we will have the #1 class almost like we didn't really want it this year or something....In my book you grab EVERYTHING you can get your hands on when it come to recruiting......
Perhaps you didn't notice but we've sucked balls for 7 years and the brand is in the toilet. Personally, I think Mullen did better in his first class than Kelly or Frost would have.

As for future classes, we have to show something ON THE FIELD. Then everything will fall into place.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I acknowledged in my opener that a “lets wait and see” approach makes sense on all the things he has seemingly done right. Will it equal results on the field is a legit question.

But interested in opinions on what he has NOT done right.

I gotcha. But I'm not looking at what he's done right or wrong. He's done fine so far. So what. I'm not negative. I'm neutral. Wait till next year (scratch that) next fall.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can show law every stat, clip, you name it and he still shows up and says Mullen doesnt pass the ball.

A+ for consistency my dude
200 or so yards a game isnt passing well, its iust two or three passes from the Chumpzone.

BTW, Mulkinz actually passed worse than..... wait for it.... Nussdump and Franks last year.

And the year before.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Perhaps you didn't notice but we've sucked balls for 7 years and the brand is in the toilet. Personally, I think Mullen did better in his first class than Kelly or Frost would have.

As for future classes, we have to show something ON THE FIELD. Then everything will fall into place.
I'm not gonna keep arguing this point BUT here are your facts OVER those 7 ball sucking years.....
Rivals final team recruiting ranking....
2011. UF 12TH
2012 UF 3RD......3-5 stars
2013 UF 4TH......2-5 stars
2014 UF 7TH......1- 5 star
2015 UF 23RD....2- 5 stars
2016 UF 14TH.....1- 5 star
2017 UF 9TH

That equals an AVERAGE ranking of 10TH
AVERAGING 1.5- 5 stars per year
Now before you get mad and call me an idiot just realize that.......I'm just saying 18TH is not on par with those ball sucking years...:dunno:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I agree that all new coaches come in with pretty much the same mantra.

We are going to instill discipline..
We are going to install a solid infrastructure...
We are going to emphasize strength and conditioning,,,
We are going to modernize facilities...
We are going to prioritize special teams...
We are going to open up competition...
We are going to instill confidence...
We are going to fire up the base...

DM seems to be delivering.

Half way through his first spring or even just prior to parting ways with UF did you know:

McElwain did not instill discipline? Do you really think that Mullen would have had any better luck keeping Callaway on the straight and narrow or there would have been no credit card scam under him?

McElwain did not install a solid infrastructure? McElwain rebuild the OL, McElwain balanced out the roster some.

McElwain did not emphazie strength and conditioning enough? UF players particularly in the strength position were being drafted every year.

McElwain was not going to modernize facilities? McElwain is credited with improving the facilities so he did that.

McElwain was not going to prioritize special teams? McElwain found great kickers. Special teams went down only as the program tanked with fan support ebbing than the a mid-season coacing change. McElwain did not put starters on coverage teams much, but many people subscribe to that view.

McElwain was not going to open up competition? I would say McElwain did that as much as any UF coach since Spurrier. He basically refused to promise the QB job to keep guys around twice.

McElwain was not going to instill confidence? Many on the Mullen bandwagon were as much on the McElwain bandwagon. That is what we fans do. We have confidence in our team whether deserved or not and know little of what is really going on inside the program.

McElwain was not going to fire up the fan base. Heck McElwain did fire up the fan base. McElwain got UF to the SEC championship game twice. It was really only here where the fan base was not fired up for all 3 of McElwains off seasons.

So Mullen is doing all these things like McElwain did. They are irrelevant unless Mullen WINS games in sufficient numbers AND PRODUCES A RESPECTABLE OFFENSE. If Mullen wins 8 games this fall with an offense ranked between 90 and 115 in most categories, then his seat will start to warm up. If Mullen wins 10 games this fall with an offense ranked between 90 and 115 in most categories, his seat won't warm up quite as much but it will not stay entirely cool. If Mullen wins 10 games or more this fall with a top 50 offense, then all of your question will matter. If he doesn't they won't.

Win and produce offense is why he was hired. He has done neither yet.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
His name isn't Chip Kelly if that counts.

I wasn't on board with this hire at all when it was announced
, but I've come around quickly. Hopefully he can recapture the magic of his last tenure here.

The bolded part has been posted at least 5-6 times since yesterday. It's almost like some of us are trying to convince ourselves that he was a good choice. Just not enough data at this point.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I don't know why everybody but Donkey forgets what the passing game looked like last time Mullen was here. It's little crossing routes or bombs. That's basically it. It's not a sophisticated passing offense. That's why most high schools run a version of this offense. I'm on board. I'm excited about everything he's done so far. Practices and reports have been really intriguing. But if you're asking for a thing that's mine. Also I know Slevin mentioned the stars and yeah they were good when we had Tebow and we were stacked with tall WRs that could block really well. Cooper,Murphy, Nelson . Y'all get ready for a ton of sideways moving offense.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Half way through his first spring or even just prior to parting ways with UF did you know:

McElwain did not instill discipline? Do you really think that Mullen would have had any better luck keeping Callaway on the straight and narrow or there would have been no credit card scam under him?

McElwain did not install a solid infrastructure? McElwain rebuild the OL, McElwain balanced out the roster some.

McElwain did not emphazie strength and conditioning enough? UF players particularly in the strength position were being drafted every year.

McElwain was not going to modernize facilities? McElwain is credited with improving the facilities so he did that.

McElwain was not going to prioritize special teams? McElwain found great kickers. Special teams went down only as the program tanked with fan support ebbing than the a mid-season coacing change. McElwain did not put starters on coverage teams much, but many people subscribe to that view.

McElwain was not going to open up competition? I would say McElwain did that as much as any UF coach since Spurrier. He basically refused to promise the QB job to keep guys around twice.

McElwain was not going to instill confidence? Many on the Mullen bandwagon were as much on the McElwain bandwagon. That is what we fans do. We have confidence in our team whether deserved or not and know little of what is really going on inside the program.

McElwain was not going to fire up the fan base. Heck McElwain did fire up the fan base. McElwain got UF to the SEC championship game twice. It was really only here where the fan base was not fired up for all 3 of McElwains off seasons.

So Mullen is doing all these things like McElwain did. They are irrelevant unless Mullen WINS games in sufficient numbers AND PRODUCES A RESPECTABLE OFFENSE. If Mullen wins 8 games this fall with an offense ranked between 90 and 115 in most categories, then his seat will start to warm up. If Mullen wins 10 games this fall with an offense ranked between 90 and 115 in most categories, his seat won't warm up quite as much but it will not stay entirely cool. If Mullen wins 10 games or more this fall with a top 50 offense, then all of your question will matter. If he doesn't they won.

Win and produce offense is why he was hired. He has done neither yet.

Kinda making my point. All coaches come in with the same mantra. This was not about what McElwain did or didn’t do. This is about what Mullin has not done.

Your response indicates general agreement that there is not really anything he has done that does not meet expectations so far. Or is there?

ALL coaches, not just ours, ultimately succeed or fail by what they do on the field. As mentioned several times already it is logical to take a “let’s see what happens in the fall.” That’s how it works.

This is no different than threads asking to predict our record. Some think 7-8 wins and others 9-10. But the logical answer is also “let’s wait and see what happens”.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I disliked his cocky attitude while at MSU and I found him to be condescending when he said that working at UF was a lateral move. To be fair I also was annoyed when he said MSU had been better than UF while he was their head coach. The unfortunate truth at the time was that he was correct.

I tend to be a pumper but I’m excited about what he has been able to accomplish in the short time he has been the head coach. He had a pretty good transition class, the strength and conditioning program appears to have the boys running on all cylinders, practice is promoting true competition and Mullen is uniting Gator Nation. Not bad for a few months work.

I’m sure I will find something in the future that will make me question his decision making however thus far he is exceeding what I thought he would do.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Go back and read the post on this board or ANY gator board after Butters of Muschamp were hired.....BTW I'm pretty sure both of them brought in 5 stars in their first classes but I'm too lazy to look it up....All of that aside it's all besides the point......AND since when doesn't UF get serious looks from top recruits? I've been a fan since the early 80's and I can't seem to recall a time when we didn't.

I don't remember exactly who brought in whom either, and I'm too lazy to look it up too. But I did see a graphic on another site that indicated that DM had the highest avg. star rating of any UF transition class ever - including Meyers. And clearly, we got some strong talent this year, which is my primary point. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but JM didn't land any 5-stars over the last two years, and I'm not sure how many ever really considered UF in that time span. Also, it's tough to argue that the UF brand hasn't suffered thanks to the failure of the previous two HCs.

It also looks like the 5-star commits JM did manage to pick up for '19 are still strong possibilities to sign with DM and crew. And although we may well miss on some of the 5-stars that have already visited, or plan to, I still like the much more aggressive approach that DM is taking. Frankly, I agree that getting too excited at this stage may be ill advised, but it beats the hell out of the misery of the status quo. Realistically, anything that even resembles a competent, reasonably well-balanced SEC caliber team, will be a huge improvement over the garbage we've endured over the last several years.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Forgive the old news if everyone already knows, but we picked up a high 4-star commit for 2020 today. Number 66 overall, #4 athlete Keyvone Lee, 62/205. Probably a RB or LB at this point. The good news is welcome, Heaven knows we need some.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Kinda making my point. ....

... But the logical answer is also “let’s wait and see what happens”.

Yes and no on making your point. I think it was your statement, "DM seems to be delivering." that prompted my response. DM is delivering no more and no less than Meyer, Zook, Muschamp and McElwain delivered half way through their first spring practice.

So yes I agree that the only logical thing to do is wait and see what happens. I am taking that approach myself.

One the other hand, I recognize that all the criticisms of Swamp Donkey etal that Mullen has not typically produced the kind of offense that will sustain him in this job are still valid. So I certainly understand people that worry.

So I understand the optimistic, I understand the pessimistic, and I remain in my wait and see stance. We shall at least begin to see this fall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator