GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;192615 said:
Kinda goes with your #1 point:

A passing game to develop.

Before the last coaching staff would you ever had thought that that would've been a question at Florida?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n192616 said:
Before the last coaching staff would you ever had thought that that would've been a question at Florida?

Sadly no. WM definitely humbled us a good bit.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorJ;n192606 said:
Starts tomorrow.

What are you looking for?

Me:

1. A QB to begin to separate.
2. 1-2 TEs to be really involved.
3. OL remain healthy.
4. A second WR making a statement.
5. Safety play improvement.
6. Linebacker play improvement.
7. Who's going to replace Fowler?

I'll use your list as a reference point.
1. Both QB's to play well and get the ball out quickly. Don't get signals mixed up. Both need to play well to push each other until the 2nd or 3rd game of the season next fall.
2.Goolsby to get a lot of touches and be involved on seam routes. McGee to get healthy and possibly Stevens to show something.....
3.Ditto on health and begin to work as a unit....show some push against a talented defensive front.
4.Fulwood will be a good second option. Worton, Powell and Bailey to explode in short and intermediate routes.
5. Harris and Washington getting enough reps to push Maye. A ton of guys getting nickel reps because we will have to play a lot next season and while safety coverage is big we need to find our physical run stopping safeties to compensate for lack of quality LB's.
6.Rolin to prove that he actually exist....and McMillan to start playing up to his recruiting ranking. More reps for Anzalone to become the dominant MLB I feel he will.
7. No more Fowler but complete dominance by the defensive front. I know the coaches will have to throttle back to let the offense settle in but we will have one of the best if not the best defensive lines in CFB next year.
8. Coaches to give the fans honest evaluations of the players for a change, including injuries and depth chart standings...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm surprised that McMillan hasn't done jack since he's been here. And I thought for sure that Anzalone would have the look of an All SEC linebacker.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just hoping the team can learn the new systems (offense and defense) and that Mac gets a feel for the talent so he can figure out how to best use it to be successful.

I don't expect honest evaluations and why would a coach do that? You want a coach to tell us our DL is crap or LBs are weak so defenses know to exploit that?

I hope nobody gets hurt and the team learns... I don't expect a starting QB to be named.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Healthy o-line. With such a lack of depth, I'm just hoping the o-line stays healthy enough for them to run things the way they need to run them.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Improvement at all positions!
Player development,
The players learning the new system
players pushing each other and supporting each other as a team

Nobody will be named a starter from spring practice, so what we need is the players to shine and let Mac see who can do what so as to install an offense (& defense) based upon abilities.

No injuries

Positive attitudes across the board from knowing they have a real Head Coach now.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
CaribGator;n192665 said:
Improvement at all positions!
Player development,
The players learning the new system
players pushing each other and supporting each other as a team

Nobody will be named a starter from spring practice, so what we need is the players to shine and let Mac see who can do what so as to install an offense (& defense) based upon abilities.

No injuries

Positive attitudes across the board from knowing they have a real Head Coach now.

+1. Clarabelle running a route would be fun to see, too.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We won't know anything until they play a real game. Until then they'll still be blocking each other.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n192627 said:
I'm surprised that McMillan hasn't done jack since he's been here. And I thought for sure that Anzalone would have the look of an All SEC linebacker.

Chump sold us all a real bill of goods didnt he? I'm not convinced that anybody on our roster can play until they start to do so.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gator1946;n192684 said:
We won't know anything until they play a real game. Until then they'll still be blocking each other.
They did that in real games under the last staff, so if they stop blocking each other in real games that would be an improvement.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp is put you all in the camp of "have no expectations and you can't be disappointed".

I don't expect to win the SEC, but I expect us to win at least 8 to 9 games. The SEC east is horrid.

I think we have a bit of an issue with talent at skill positions. But not zero talent. And I think we have more than enough talent in the trenches on both sides. On defense (Except linebacker) we have excellent depth and front line talent.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n192728 said:
They did that in real games under the last staff, so if they stop blocking each other in real games that would be an improvement.

That was the point of my lame joke.

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
I think the main thing to do in Spring practice is install a culture of success. I saw where McElwain said the main emphasis would be on fundamentals, and I agree. This team needs to be torn down and built back up again, similar to what Charley Pell did when he took over Florida. I don't expect a winless season to follow, like under Pell, but I also don't expect the record to be much different from the past five years, with the exception of the outlier, 2012. I would hope that McElwain doesn't assume anything. It's like he said, football, ultimately, comes down to blocking and tackling, the scheme is irrelevant if you don't do those things well. As far as specifics, I think a few things need to be worked on. I think Brandon Powell needs to emerge as an alternative to Robinson. I have no faith in any of the other receivers, they've been mediocre at best, and if one or two steps up his game it'll be a pleasant surprise. The offensive line, and who are the five best guys, needs to identified now, not later. It is not prudent to think any of the incoming freshmen will be ready to play, I don't care how many stars they have. It also needs to be expected that Thurman's career at UF is over. You have to read between the lines when McElwain said he needed to "rest" his shoulder for eight months and then "maybe" a rle will be found for him. UF needs to have the presumption that the linemen in the Spring will have to be the starters in the Fall. The same assumption should be made for the linebackers. There is no assurance that Morrison will be able to play this season, or ever again. Again, no help should be expected from the lone freshman coming in. I know Davis is out, and he should help, but the linebackers in the Spring have to step up. As far as the quarterback goes, I doubt we'll learn anything since practice is closed and unless one of them is clearly better than the other, McElwain is not going to say anything. Change the culture from that which was the reason McElwain was hired should be the goal. There may be some transfers along the way, there usually is when a new regime takes over, but you have to do some pruning to have a healthy organization.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sgt. Schultz;n192773 said:
I think the main thing to do in Spring practice is install a culture of success. I saw where McElwain said the main emphasis would be on fundamentals, and I agree. This team needs to be torn down and built back up again, similar to what Charley Pell did when he took over Florida. I don't expect a winless season to follow, like under Pell, but I also don't expect the record to be much different from the past five years, with the exception of the outlier, 2012. I would hope that McElwain doesn't assume anything. It's like he said, football, ultimately, comes down to blocking and tackling, the scheme is irrelevant if you don't do those things well. As far as specifics, I think a few things need to be worked on. I think Brandon Powell needs to emerge as an alternative to Robinson. I have no faith in any of the other receivers, they've been mediocre at best, and if one or two steps up his game it'll be a pleasant surprise. The offensive line, and who are the five best guys, needs to identified now, not later. It is not prudent to think any of the incoming freshmen will be ready to play, I don't care how many stars they have. It also needs to be expected that Thurman's career at UF is over. You have to read between the lines when McElwain said he needed to "rest" his shoulder for eight months and then "maybe" a rle will be found for him. UF needs to have the presumption that the linemen in the Spring will have to be the starters in the Fall. The same assumption should be made for the linebackers. There is no assurance that Morrison will be able to play this season, or ever again. Again, no help should be expected from the lone freshman coming in. I know Davis is out, and he should help, but the linebackers in the Spring have to step up. As far as the quarterback goes, I doubt we'll learn anything since practice is closed and unless one of them is clearly better than the other, McElwain is not going to say anything. Change the culture from that which was the reason McElwain was hired should be the goal. There may be some transfers along the way, there usually is when a new regime takes over, but you have to do some pruning to have a healthy organization.
Welcome aboard Sgt.

It doesn't appear that you have been lurking, or you would know that that much level headed thinking in one post is frowned upon. You have to be a pumper or pisser, j/k Some solid points in your statement, we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Sgt. Schultz;n192773 said:

Well, your first post (below) appears to be shyt while your second post is fairly spot on.

I don't know what to make of you...yet.

But your contributions are lengthy and I'm bored so kudos and keep it up.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
ATXGator;n192647 said:
I don't expect honest evaluations and why would a coach do that?
It's spring practice, not game week for the LSU game :rolleyes:. They should do it to rebuild a shaky relationship between the fans and program which was made that way by the last coach and AD....They are after all new to the program and it's supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator