Spurrier hired as a consultant to coach Mac

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He may be on the sidelines, but I think you are correct, this is Mac's team. Can't believe he invited SOS here without clarifying roles. In his interview, SOS said as much.

That takes you to 10, your next move will take you to 20.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This gone be fun, beotch.

Time to die, Butch.

6_3889489.jpg

FIFY

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
From a letter in the Sun today. Always amazed when a "gator" fan says sh#t like this. Look for my letter to the Sun soon pointing out the stupidity of this clueless fck.
http://www.gainesville.com/opinion/letters

Spurrier's arrogance I am concerned about Steve Spurrier's return to the University of Florida. He done nothing to enhance his abilities since his departure in 2001. He quit the program without informing Jeremy Foley to make himself available for the Redskins position. He quit that program citing owner interference, but he was a failure as a pro coach. He tried to again return to Florida when Ron Zook was fired but the university president and

letter just sent on the interweb

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Welcome home

I am always amazed when a Gator fan spends time telling me how arrogant the former Head Ball Coach is and all of his shortcomings. A gentleman from Palm City on Monday let us know how mistaken we were to welcome Coach Steve Spurrier back because of his failures and arrogance.

I wonder if he knew how many Southeastern Conference titles UF had in football before Spurrier returned to Florida in 1990. If you said less than one you were correct. Ask him how many 10- or 11-win seasons South Carolina had before Spurrier went to Columbia. You could count them on one hand now and they are now all on Spurrier's hand.

Spurrier coming back to UF was a no-brainer. My guess is he will bring back many donors and former players to the fold, and that is a huge positive. Welcome home, coach.
They usually print them for me. But they "edit" the hell out of them........
http://www.gainesville.com/opinion/20160806/letters-to-editor-for-aug-6-2016

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
To be fair, SOS is a bit arrogant and abrasive if you're not in his inner circle (and maybe even then). However, we hired him in 1990 because he's an innovator and winner. He's still a Gator and we'd be foolish NOT to have him closely associated with UF, whether as mentor to coaches or name brand to attract booster money and recruits (especially QBs).

BTW, I'll bet chump is disappointed he won't have SOS nearby to give him clues about offense and head coaching.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I love ole Spur Dog. Arrogant or not we are better off with him here in any capacity than not at all.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His main responsibility will be to excite the fan base in order to get butts in the seats and to increase fund raising. He can do this with very little effort just because it's him. It's no secret that the school wants to improve the facilities, and his hiring will certainly help with that. Good times are ahead.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From a letter in the Sun today. Always amazed when a "gator" fan says sh#t like this. Look for my letter to the Sun soon pointing out the stupidity of this clueless fck.
http://www.gainesville.com/opinion/letters

letter just sent on the interweb
Laurence, huh? Sounds like Lawrence of Florida off the moron board, whom Im pretty sure is Sid. Sid, DC, Avatar, even KC, hated SOS.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Laurence, huh? Sounds like Lawrence of Florida off the moron board, whom Im pretty sure is Sid. Sid, DC, Avatar, even KC, hated SOS.
Remember when KCgator called him "Grand Wizard" Spurrier, because he had never started a black quarterback? :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. Funny bc none of his players thought that.

Also funny bc SOS personally recruited Peter Warrick and Gavin Dickey.

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier working in the qb room with all four quarterbacks, breaking down their film at practice and in games?

Duncechump, Kirby, Butch, and Dumbo can all kiss it where the meat is the whitest.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
My buddy who who plays bass in a band we're in, also plays for another group and I went to see them tonight. They were playing at the Matanzas Inlet Restaurant and I went there wearing a Gator cap. I'm standing outside listening and this guy walks up and points to my cap. He asks, "Who is the greatest Gator basketball coach?" I say, " Billy Donovan." He asks again, "Who is the greatest Gator football coach?" I say, " Steve Spurrier." He says, "You didn't hear it from me, but they are both in the house." He smiles and walks off. I look around the deck and don't see them and figure he may just be drunk, plus I'd already been inside. So I stroll back in again, heading toward the bar, glance to my left and sure enough there they are in a side room just them and their families having dinner. No way to get a pic and they managed to finish and leave without me seeing them again. I wasn't going to stalk them like some creep. Still, it was pretty cool and made my night.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So Foley, already committed to recruiting Meyer, was caught flat footed by Spurrier's interest in returning, an intensely awkward situation. Was there or should there have been an attempt to reach out to Steve to say, hey, we respect the hell out of what you did for us and can still do, but we're already way upstream? Please, let's not make this any worse for either of us than it appears on the surface.

Everything I remember pointed to Machen making that decision in reality and he even said that smart remark about Spurrier applying like anyone else when reporters brought the subject up. Machen knew he was taking Meyer whether Spurrier wanted to return or not. I am glad he is gone and never cared for him at all. This new President seems a lot better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.