Spurrier hired as a consultant to coach Mac

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
This will probably come as a surprise coming from me. But this is Coach Mac's program. For better or worse. Thinking that Spurrier(whom I think of as a Gator God and probably the greatest Gator of all-time) is doing anything besides being an Ambassador is really doing a disservice to Mac. Spurrier won't be in the booth or on the sidelines help Mac call plays. He won't be recruiting. He may offer his opinion when asked by Mac about certain things but let's be totally honest about this...SOS is here is help bring in ca$h. If anyone thinks he'll be active in gameplanning or involved on Saturdays is completely out of touch with reality. The stuff I am reading on various sites is shocking. That being said, I am super excited to have him back where he belongs.

He may be on the sidelines, but I think you are correct, this is Mac's team. Can't believe he invited SOS here without clarifying roles. In his interview, SOS said as much.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure the roles were clarified and I'm sure Mac will talk to Spurdog when something's troubling him and he needs some sage advice, whether it be scheming or player discipline, which Spurrier was very good at. And we may never know if they talked or about what because it's between them.

I mean, egos and possible insecurities aside, why wouldn't you use a resource as valuable as that? I know I would.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is not true. It may have been at one time, but not now. Those in "the know", have known this to be false for years. Spurrier is not a fan of Foley and vice versa. Stop acting like you know, because you don't.

What few minor critical thinking skills you were lucky enough to develop in your youth seem to have disintegrated in your failing years. Perhaps you just can't overcome your conspiracy theory paranoia, Mr. "In-the-know."....lmao

Who led the charge to add Spurrier's name to Florida Field?
Who delicately orchestrated Spurrier's return as a consultant with Coach Mac's full approval?
Who spent 10 days in the Bahamas on vacation with the Spurriers as recently as 3 summers ago?
Who is still the full-fledged Athletic Director?

Spurrier also made clear he's not involved at all in the Gator athletic department search, which is being conducted by former UF trustee Manny Fernandez.

"Oh, I'm not involved in it whatsoever,” Spurrier said. “ If they asked me, I would tell Jeremy he ought to hang around two or three more years. But I don't know exactly where the search is right now."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not going to pretend to know whether there was friction between SOS and Foley, though there were hints of it during the 2001 season, which was followed by the awkward request for a formal interview in 2004. I never could get a handle on why UF approached it that way. It seemed like a slap in the face, and for what reason? Because you left us and we found a younger, hotter looking chick?

What I do know is he's no longer coach at South Carolina, yet young enough to know he can contribute in some form, so his coming home makes a lot of sense. I'm happy over the outcome regardless of why.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So Foley, already committed to recruiting Meyer, was caught flat footed by Spurrier's interest in returning, an intensely awkward situation. Was there or should there have been an attempt to reach out to Steve to say, hey, we respect the hell out of what you did for us and can still do, but we're already way upstream? Please, let's not make this any worse for either of us than it appears on the surface.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Florida ambassador and consultant Steve Spurrier said that redshirt junior QB Luke Del Rio will start in 2016.

Spurrier accepted a job consulting for the Gators earlier in the week. He wasted little time in making his presence felt. "Let’s give these guys a chance to play and hopefully one of them will emerge as a top-flight player that everybody can get behind," Spurrier said during a conference call. "I know Del Rio seems to be the starter; he is the starter now. We’ll see how it all works out." It was somewhat expected that Del Rio would eventually win the job, but HC Jim McElwain had yet to actually name a starter, so Spurrier stepped a little off-script on this one. If McElwain wanted to go in a different direction, Austin Appleby -- formerly of Purdue -- is the most likely candidate to offer a contest to Del Rio's now-assumed supremacy.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Btw, we all know SOS will not be involved with the day to day grind of "coaching". But just for sh!ts and giggles, while in Knoxville, we ought to have him trot out onto the sideline clad in Orange and Blue, wearing his vintage visor, whisper into Coach Mac's ear, stop and look across the field toward the Tennessee sideline, and smile. The look on faces of the coaches, players, and fans would be of epic proportions... And we'd hear the collective voices of 100,000 people and 1,000 teeth all sigh... " Ooooohhhhh sh!t !!!"
I've already had a life-long friend, who's also unfortunately been a Vol his entire life, call me and whine about SOS being back at UF. He's admitted that as much as we're already inside their heads this news was like an electric shock to the Vol fans. Their fragile but brave attempt to appear tough & ready to beat us finally has taken a serious blow to the skull.

He was freaked the heck out. :lol:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've already had a life-long friend, who's also unfortunately been a Vol his entire life, call me and whine about SOS being back at UF. He's admitted that as much as we're already inside their heads this news was like an electric shock to the Vol fans. Their fragile but brave attempt to appear tough & ready to beat us finally has taken a serious blow to the skull.

He was freaked the heck out. :lol:

Awesome!:lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember when coach Saban hired that dude from Maryland, an ex offensive coordinator and who also won like two games as a HC.?. Remember how eveybody was saying that Mac sucked cause he hired an ex basketball coach to work on his support staff while Saban was landing big fish... Yeah... Good times.
Damn you're dense. That "dude form Maryland who also won like two games as HC" was OUR BEST RECRUITER off one of our best recruiting staffs. He was also hired to be an actual football analyst/quality control whatever. He cuts films and makes a game plan basically.

Would SOS be a better hire? Sure, assuming he still wants to work and I don't think he does. However, he wasn't hired to be an offensive consultant or quality control guy. He is an ambassador who will be doing UAA events, at least that's what we are being told at the moment.

So, yeah, hiring a basketball coach is still a poor hire but I think Mac is taking the reigns. He has pushed for massive improvements, has gotten some improvements already, and ensured that Fooley was invited to retire.

Just seeing SOS back in the correct colors is excellent though. I'd love to see him in the press box helping the OC as an extra set of eyes, but I don't know if that is the plan.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's not as if their offensive philosophies are incompatible. Mac's a balanced playcaller who likes to throw in a little bit of razzmatazz and so is SOS.

Last edited:

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you guys really think Mac or anybody else is forcing Foley to retire you are more dense than you appear. If you think the only reason Spurrier is coming back in this role is because Foley is retiring, again, you are more dense than you appear.
Whatever friction there may have been between Foley and Spurrier 15 years ago is long gone.
Give it a break for a change of pace.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You just can't be that dull on this matter. Foley reports to whichever bonehead president happens to be in charge at the moment which was Machen with Urban and some interim lib from California name Chas. Young about the Darnell dockett issue.

Exactly which is exactly why UF needs an AD with some independent stature this time rather and a former ticket office intern.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Nonsense. We're running Emory & Henry in the opener after we exhaust all the empty backfield sets.
If first play from scrimmage isn't a side-line bomb I'll eat my hat. Gators up 7-0 with 13:35 left in the first quarter just like the good old days. :dance:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If first play from scrimmage isn't a side-line bomb I'll eat my hat. Gators up 7-0 with 13:35 left in the first quarter just like the good old days. :dance:

Lol, he had that killer instinct, didn't he? Step on their throats early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator