rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
c671a09f31859f2da11cc20fb6d97b04.jpg

They were at the Matanzas Inlet Restaurant last night having a good time

…. there's a stack of napkins with plays drawn on them …. who did that ?

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
SOS, Jerri, and Foley are very good friends and even vacation in the Bahamas together......preposterous..

This is not true. It may have been at one time, but not now. Those in "the know", have known this to be false for years. Spurrier is not a fan of Foley and vice versa. Stop acting like you know, because you don't.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:clap:
The more 'winners', 'thinkers', 'adult role models' and 'champions' around the kids... the better. The family welcomes you home, ball coach.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My mom just shared a pretty interesting story with me that I'd never heard. In fact, she just heard it last night herself from her friend who is the wife of the subject of this story so I know it to be true.

Our neighbors across the street (way back when I was like 5 years old), ran a dry cleaning business. Steve used his dry cleaning shop back then. Apparently exclusively. Well decades passed and Mr. Murphy who ran the dry cleaner way back then passed away. Somehow Steve got word of his passing and sent a letter to the family. Now folks, if that doesn't tell you the kind of person Steve is, I don't know what does. He had not seen Mr. Murphy in decades, yet still remembered him and cared enough to send a letter to the family. That is class.
:chomp:

Good story. There was a time when SOS could be a bit of a pissant. He's become a lot more comfortable in his skin over the years.

I'm really jazzed over the prospect of a football renaissance and the HBC being a part of it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This will probably come as a surprise coming from me. But this is Coach Mac's program. For better or worse. Thinking that Spurrier(whom I think of as a Gator God and probably the greatest Gator of all-time) is doing anything besides being an Ambassador is really doing a disservice to Mac. Spurrier won't be in the booth or on the sidelines help Mac call plays. He won't be recruiting. He may offer his opinion when asked by Mac about certain things but let's be totally honest about this...SOS is here is help bring in ca$h. If anyone thinks he'll be active in gameplanning or involved on Saturdays is completely out of touch with reality. The stuff I am reading on various sites is shocking. That being said, I am super excited to have him back where he belongs.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting perspective from Cockytalk

Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

CockyCash: 100200
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif
reputation_highpos.gif

icon1.gif
Re: Spurrier Accepts position as UF Athletics Ambassador
I think it's SAD when people insult a man who turned this program into a Top 5/10 team in the
nation for several years running, who finished as the Gamecock head coach with the most wins
in the program's history, not only topped our best season in the history of the program, but
repeated THAT record for three consecutive seasons. Has been the only coach that got us an
Eastern Conf. Title in the 33 years we had been in the SEC, and is the only Gamecock coach to
EVER win back to back bowl games, and topped that by winning 4 consecutive bowl games.

I think it's SAD when the older fans who find fault in what he did the last two years he was here,
were the same fans crying, *****ing and complaining when we couldn't win more than 5 games
a year for the majority of their lifetime following this program, and it's SAD when the younger
fans quickly forget that he not only built this team into a Top 5 program, and an SEC Eastern
Conf. Winner, but graduated SEVERAL NFL players (more than the past 3 head coaches here
Combined), and was instrumental in the facility upgrades that we look at around campus now,
including the video board, the indoor practice facility and the Carolina Park. He was the first
coach to beat Florida since we joined the SEC, and the fist caoch to beat UF, UT, UGA and
Clemson in the same season and did it 4 times in his career here. He was the first coach
in the majority of these "FANS" lifetime to beat Clemson in back to back years, and the
first coach in any of our lives to win that game 5 years in a row.

It's SAD when a coach leaves, and returns to his Alma Mater to take a "diplomatic" position
with the school where he studied, graduated, played football and won a Heisman trophy and "fans"
think that he should remain loyal to a school, and kiss the asses of fans who have done nothing
the past 9 months but criticize his last two years here, while forgetting the major accomplishments
he achieved here the first 9 years since he took over. I am glad that he came here, and am
much thankful for what he did for this program and school. I wish him nothing but happiness
and success the rest of his life, and I am once again, appalled at those who find fault in what
Coach Spurrier did wrong here, because there is wrong that is done by every single coach in
the country at every level and every sport. I'm disgusted that "fans" use the few faults he had to beat him
to death in the face of the major accomplishments he's done for the football program.
Love this post. Glad you found it and posted it here.

I had to chuckle after I read the following section-
"appalled at those who find fault in what Coach Spurrier did wrong here, because there is wrong that is done by every single coach in
the country at every level and every sport. I'm disgusted that "fans" use the few faults he had to beat him to death in the face of the major accomplishments he's done for the football program."

If this is the reaction to Spurrier, who did so much positive for their program, imagine the vitriol that is to come following a few seasons with Muschamp. They don't know what they are in for yet.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
imagine the vitriol that is to come following a few seasons with Muschamp. They don't know what they are in for yet.
I doubt Muschamp is there after 2 seasons. He just doesn't have the ability to even maintain a program let alone rebuild one, but you're right about their fans.....They have nooooo idea what their about to experience, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This will probably come as a surprise coming from me. But this is Coach Mac's program. For better or worse. Thinking that Spurrier(whom I think of as a Gator God and probably the greatest Gator of all-time) is doing anything besides being an Ambassador is really doing a disservice to Mac. Spurrier won't be in the booth or on the sidelines help Mac call plays. He won't be recruiting. He may offer his opinion when asked by Mac about certain things but let's be totally honest about this...SOS is here is help bring in ca$h. If anyone thinks he'll be active in gameplanning or involved on Saturdays is completely out of touch with reality. The stuff I am reading on various sites is shocking. That being said, I am super excited to have him back where he belongs.
Nonsense. We're running Emory & Henry in the opener after we exhaust all the empty backfield sets.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remember when coach Saban hired that dude from Maryland, an ex offensive coordinator and who also won like two games as a HC.?. Remember how eveybody was saying that Mac sucked cause he hired an ex basketball coach to work on his support staff while Saban was landing big fish... Yeah... Good times.

Btw, did those same people happen to see that photo with Mac out to dinner with his latest hire to our support staff???

I have a feeling this has been in the works for a while. One does not make this kind of hire without much thought and deliberate planning. Well done Coach Mac. Laying the foundation of a strong and lasting program. I love this hire! But I'm just as pumped that Mac has the vision and self confidence to want this hire. I believe he will prove to be an excellent leader and program builder. Not just another gun for hire for immediate but limited success.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Btw, we all know SOS will not be involved with the day to day grind of "coaching". But just for sh!ts and giggles, while in Knoxville, we ought to have him trot out onto the sideline clad in Orange and Blue, wearing his vintage visor, whisper into Coach Mac's ear, stop and look across the field toward the Tennessee sideline, and smile. The look on faces of the coaches, players, and fans would be of epic proportions... And we'd hear the collective voices of 100,000 people and 1,000 teeth all sigh... " Ooooohhhhh sh!t !!!"

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
At first I thought the guy on the end was Finebaum. Now he kinda looks like the Syracuse basketball coach. Their conversation was very casual, but when that picture was taken it got pretty intense for a second. Then back to laughter.
Definitely looks like Jim Boeheim. He certainly has the nose.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Remember when coach Saban hired that dude from Maryland, an ex offensive coordinator and who also won like two games as a HC.?. Remember how eveybody was saying that Mac sucked cause he hired an ex basketball coach to work on his support staff while Saban was landing big fish... Yeah... Good times.

Btw, did those same people happen to see that photo with Mac out to dinner with his latest hire to our support staff???

I have a feeling this has been in the works for a while. One does not make this kind of hire without much thought and deliberate planning. Well done Coach Mac. Laying the foundation of a strong and lasting program. I love this hire! But I'm just as pumped that Mac has the vision and self confidence to want this hire. I believe he will prove to be an excellent leader and program builder. Not just another gun for hire for immediate but limited success.

Good point on Mac. Not every HC could feel comfortable in his own skin enough to want the legend of the program watching his daily operations. Remember, Mac flew to SC to pick up Steve on his way to espn. I think they solidified their respect for each other back then and now they seem poised to bring us back to prominence. Dont get me wrong, I do believe Mac could do this on his own but having SOS on hand is nothing but good.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I welcome Coach Spurrier back to Gainesville. It is a move that is creating a lot of positive energy.Spurrier knows, and has said, he is not here to meddle in Coach McElwain's coaching or game plan. He will not be on the sideline. He will not be calling plays. This is Coach McElwain's ship. Would Nick Saban have wanted Bear Bryant telling him how to run his program? (I know that McElwain hasn't earned the statues of Saban, but that what we are hoping that he will be one day that successful.) No coach worth his weight, and all coaches who have made it to Division I and especially the SEC, have big egos. These are not dads coaching Pop Warner football on week-ends. They want complete control of their program.

I want Coach McElwain to have the attitude of "I know as much or more about football than Steve Spurrier and if he were coaching across the field from me, I would want to put my neck on his throat until he hollers 'Uncle'". I don't want McElwain to have the attitude ( and I know he doesn't ) of I got to have Steve down here in Gainesville to show me how to get this offense going because I can't figure it out myself.

Spurrier's time as a coach has passed. Jim McEwan is on the stage and at the microphone now. This is his Gator football program. Sure Spurrier will be there to give advice if he is asked. What worries me is that if McElwain stumbles then there will be noise in the system for Spurrier to get more involved in the offense, and if McElwain doesn't take heed then that could cause some conflict again in the program. Spurrier casts a big shadow. There is a statue of him on campus. There is not a statue of Jim McElwain here or anywhere else.

Spurrier will be able to fire up and unify the fan base, and a unified fan base has been something that has been a problem in Gainesville in the past. During the Spurrier coaching years we were unified. It was fun football. But that has been maybe the only time the fan base has been pretty much unified during the entire reign of a single coach. Think of that. It is so very important to have a unified fan base who supports the head coach. That is a necessary and sufficient part of the puzzle of winning championships.

Because of Spurrier's presence, it will probably help some recruiting. I hope. It will help in fund raising. Alumni and friends of the university will remember the glory days and will be more than willing to open their pocketbooks. But some of us need to remember that a lot of the kids coming along now don't know much about Spurrier time in Gatorville. And I don't think having a 70 year old plus ex-coach Steve Spurrier is going to the Pied Piper that is going to call a convoy of offensive lineman to point their face masks in the direction of Gainesville.

Yes, I believe there was a power struggle between McElwain and Foley. This is just speculation on my part from a long time observer. I think it was probable that Foley was forced out because he had been dragging his feet on facility upgrades. McElwain had been under Saban in Tuscaloosa and he saw the kind of money Bama put in their facilities and he wanted the same thing for Florida. When Foley left, that opened the way for Spurrier to return to Florida.

So I am glad to have Steve Spurrier back in Gainesville. Now he can live out his retirement in the community of his beloved Florida Gators. Welcome back home to the Gator's goodwill ambassador.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I welcome Coach Spurrier back to Gainesville. It is a move that is creating a lot of positive energy.Spurrier knows, and has said, he is not here to meddle in Coach McElwain's coaching or game plan. He will not be on the sideline. He will not be calling plays. This is Coach McElwain's ship. Would Nick Saban have wanted Bear Bryant telling him how to run his program? (I know that McElwain hasn't earned the statues of Saban, but that what we are hoping that he will be one day that successful.) No coach worth his weight, and all coaches who have made it to Division I and especially the SEC, have big egos. These are not dads coaching Pop Warner football on week-ends. They want complete control of their program.

I want Coach McElwain to have the attitude of "I know as much or more about football than Steve Spurrier and if he were coaching across the field from me, I would want to put my neck on his throat until he hollers 'Uncle'". I don't want McElwain to have the attitude ( and I know he doesn't ) of I got to have Steve down here in Gainesville to show me how to get this offense going because I can't figure it out myself.

Spurrier's time as a coach has passed. Jim McEwan is on the stage and at the microphone now. This is his Gator football program. Sure Spurrier will be there to give advice if he is asked. What worries me is that if McElwain stumbles then there will be noise in the system for Spurrier to get more involved in the offense, and if McElwain doesn't take heed then that could cause some conflict again in the program. Spurrier casts a big shadow. There is a statue of him on campus. There is not a statue of Jim McElwain here or anywhere else.

Spurrier will be able to fire up and unify the fan base, and a unified fan base has been something that has been a problem in Gainesville in the past. During the Spurrier coaching years we were unified. It was fun football. But that has been maybe the only time the fan base has been pretty much unified during the entire reign of a single coach. Think of that. It is so very important to have a unified fan base who supports the head coach. That is a necessary and sufficient part of the puzzle of winning championships.

Because of Spurrier's presence, it will probably help some recruiting. I hope. It will help in fund raising. Alumni and friends of the university will remember the glory days and will be more than willing to open their pocketbooks. But some of us need to remember that a lot of the kids coming along now don't know much about Spurrier time in Gatorville. And I don't think having a 70 year old plus ex-coach Steve Spurrier is going to the Pied Piper that is going to call a convoy of offensive lineman to point their face masks in the direction of Gainesville.

Yes, I believe there was a power struggle between McElwain and Foley. This is just speculation on my part from a long time observer. I think it was probable that Foley was forced out because he had been dragging his feet on facility upgrades. McElwain had been under Saban in Tuscaloosa and he saw the kind of money Bama put in their facilities and he wanted the same thing for Florida. When Foley left, that opened the way for Spurrier to return to Florida.

So I am glad to have Steve Spurrier back in Gainesville. Now he can live out his retirement in the community of his beloved Florida Gators. Welcome back home to the Gator's goodwill ambassador.

Interesting take as always, Joe, and esp insightful re the potential for Spurrier noise if Mac stumbles. You know it would happen regardless how old or retirement ready Spurrier may be.

Re the notion of there being a power struggle between Mac and Foley over facilities, it's plausible. Foley accelerated the timetable for certain improvements, which furthers the thinking that it may have existed. These are hyper-competitive times in college football and esp the SEC.

One thing I'm sure of is, it was time for Foley to step aside after 24 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.