Spurrier retiring NOW

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
williston_gator;n296662 said:
I bet they target Kirby Smart right away.

You're probably right. Whether it's Smart or not, I think it will be a coordinator/first-time-HC. And I'm going to guess it's less than impressive.

The problem I see them facing is that the past few seasons have proven that even with the greatest coach in their history, and arguably a Top-5 all time in cfb history, combined with two traditional powers (UF and ut) being down, they still couldn't win the East. It's nice to win 11 games--and even that was unsustainable--but modern day fans want titles, even at a place like Usce. I think the expectations are not even close to being in line with reality and the top tier coaches and their advisers see that.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They won the east in 2010 didn't they? That's amazing for SC. It isn't a premium job but its way better now than before he showed up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
williston_gator;n296681 said:
They won the east in 2010 didn't they? That's amazing for SC. It isn't a premium job but its way better now than before he showed up.

Yes. That 2010 season was a great example of the power void in the East. We had a zombie on the sidelines "leading" us to a 7-5 record, the bulldogs lost to Ucf in the Independence Bowl, and ut was learning to bathe properly under first-year coach Dooley. The gamecocks had arguably their program's best WR, best ever RB, and of course a HOF coach. And since then, they've never been able to capture that magic again. I personally think those wins over us, ut and uga were about superior coaching on their sidelines. Take that away and I think they're very pedestrian.

No question it's a better job now. But that can also be seen as a 2-edged sword, given that the next guy will be following a legend.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I heard a Georgia fan call Finebaum yesterday and mention that they should fire Richt and offer the job to Muschamp. Can you believe that? I wonder if Champ or Kiffen ends up at SC...

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Congratulations SOS on a wonderful career.

Hope you enjoy the beach and golf and those Grandkids now.

BHG stadium would be happy to see your presence, as would all of Gator Nation, to casually enjoy a great football game.

As for SCAR, they're screwed and will lose recruits, probably make a horrible hire, and continue to under-perform.

:chomp:

IGTBAFG

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Hopefully, this doesn't affect the Hatin' Ass Spurrier feature on EDSBS every week....

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Law98gator;296581 said:
By several, you mean one? The one with Brock Berlin and all those 4 and 5 star studs?

BTW, who let YOU out of PF? WTF is going on around here?

I think Danny Ws class was #1. Spurrier had quite a few in the top 5. I recall arguing this with people (including some Zook apologists and recruiting tards ) who wanted spurrier out in late 90s and 00s and instead wanted somebody who they thought would be a better recruiter but if you looked at the actual rankings UF over his tenure was easily in the top 5. More importantly UF loaded the NFL with talent so people who said he couldn't get talent were absolutely full of ****. And there were plenty of gator fans who argued this.

Spurrier was less about wooing the kids and the mamas and the papas and more about building the UF brand through success. The result was top talent wanted to come to UF and the kids we got were the ones who really wanted to be here. Having recruiting guys like Zook and later strong obviously helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I watched his statements. While I initially didn't like the idea of him quitting on the team mid-season, I now feel like he's doing them a favor. Ironically I don't know that they will ever match the success they had under him.

His comments about not retiring and not being sure he would ever be a head coach again, but maybe a consultant, were interesting.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Can't imagine him coaching HS but if he were, I'd love to see him at my old high school...Go Jackets!

Even though Pedro is literally right down the road from his house.

IGTBAFG

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.