Swinney says Urban Meyer will quit soon

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect Meyer won't make the mistake of running himself into the ground as he did at Florida. He's older and wiser now.
I think so, too. I also think that’s why he isn’t dominating like he once was.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Well, you do have a point about Foley's bungling the replacement thing. That's just another reason to be glad that Foley will hire no more HCs - ever. Truthfully, I actually felt the same respect and admiration for Meyer that some still do to this day. I was deeply concerned about his health when the news broke and sincerely wanted him to just get well, even if it meant retiring. But after a year off, he was suddenly all better (heart's just fine thank you very much!) and lo and behold OSU opens up and he jumps on it like a street walker when the fleet comes in. At that point I just soured on the guy - fair or not, that's just how I feel. He hit a bump, caved and split. Great coach, but I still feel like we were played.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think so, too. I also think that’s why he isn’t dominating like he once was.
He's as close to dominating as you can be. I do think, though, that recruiting in Columbus is a lot different than Gainesville. He has to go well outside Ohio to get his skilled athletes whereas so many of them were in his backyard at Florida. That's a grind being on the road year in and year out.

What did Donovan say at one point, something about if he could just coach the game year round? You really have to hustle the recruiting trail to stock the brand of athletes Meyer expects at Ohio State.

You wonder how much longer he's gonna be willing to expend the enormous energy to do that.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Don't get me wrong, I don't find fault with the NCs - far from it. For the umpteenth time - the guy is a great coach. I just can't forget all the "Florida is the mountain top" and "the top 1% of the top 1%" stuff, referring to recruiting only high character individuals. It all just sounded so phony after the way he jumped ship and the stories about rampant pot smoking, racial discord and gang affiliations surfaced. Perhaps I did misread the situation, but I really don't think so. I've had my little say and now I'm done. Good night to all.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I never could bring myself to dislike M3. Coach poured it in, advantaged the resources and made it happen. That was a helluva run and full of personalities. Dude is a Northerner with a get home dream of sorts. So, burn out is a b!tch, but he delivered first, well twice and his personality seem to pulse through the players. I have no problem with a well deserved spot amongst the Ring.

bcs_nati_.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, I don't find fault with the NCs - far from it. For the umpteenth time - the guy is a great coach. I just can't forget all the "Florida is the mountain top" and "the top 1% of the top 1%" stuff, referring to recruiting only high character individuals. It all just sounded so phony after the way he jumped ship and the stories about rampant pot smoking, racial discord and gang affiliations surfaced. Perhaps I did misread the situation, but I really don't think so. I've had my little say and now I'm done. Good night to all.
You forgot Champions Club.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
While I stick up for him, I'm the first one to admit the guy is weird. He could announce tomorrow that he's joining a monastery in Ireland and I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

As a coach, put yourself in his shoes. He's raised the bar so high that literally anything less than a NC is considered a failed season. The Buckeye fans are bashing him for "only" winning the conference. It's ridiculous, and honestly I don't know how any coach can live up to that kind of pressure without breaking down.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Well, you do have a point about Foley's bungling the replacement thing. That's just another reason to be glad that Foley will hire no more HCs - ever. Truthfully, I actually felt the same respect and admiration for Meyer that some still do to this day. I was deeply concerned about his health when the news broke and sincerely wanted him to just get well, even if it meant retiring. But after a year off, he was suddenly all better (heart's just fine thank you very much!) and lo and behold OSU opens up and he jumps on it like a street walker when the fleet comes in. At that point I just soured on the guy - fair or not, that's just how I feel. He hit a bump, caved and split. Great coach, but I still feel like we were played.
I sure wish some other coach would come “play” us the way he did. Geez!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
While I stick up for him, I'm the first one to admit the guy is weird. He could announce tomorrow that he's joining a monastery in Ireland and I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

As a coach, put yourself in his shoes. He's raised the bar so high that literally anything less than a NC is considered a failed season. The Buckeye fans are bashing him for "only" winning the conference. It's ridiculous, and honestly I don't know how any coach can live up to that kind of pressure without breaking down.

Wait...I thought only our fans were evil? Only Gators fans run off NC coaches.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every Meyer thread evokes the same polarizing set of comments. He left us a broken program, he took us to new heights. Meyer was a meteor during his time here and he unfortunately flamed out like one. If he left us broken, it wasn't by design but by virtue of the way he approached his work -- all in, physically and emotionally.

I'll always appreciate him for that.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I agree that we should appreciate our 2 MNCs meyer brought to Gville. I also agree that the way he left and then magically healed in less than a year is annoying.

I’m not screaming that meyer screwed us (I don’t think lizard is either). It just “is what it is.”

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that we should appreciate our 2 MNCs meyer brought to Gville. I also agree that the way he left and then magically healed in less than a year is annoying.

I’m not screaming that meyer screwed us (I don’t think lizard is either). It just “is what it is.”

Not so much magical as practical. He likely started taking anxiety and depression meds. Shelly's a nurse. She and his doctors probably drove him to.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not so much magical as practical. He likely started taking anxiety and depression meds. Shelly's a nurse. She and his doctors probably drove him to.
I think he was on meds his last year with us. He seemed dull and kind of listless at times. Not sure he's still taking them now since he's supposedly found "balance" (scoff, scoff).

But we all know he sure ain't seeing his kids any more than before. Nothing has changed as far as his recruiting and coaching and the time that entails. He's still one of the best in the business and he's still kind of an a$$hole.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he was on meds his last year with us. He seemed dull and kind of listless at times. Not sure he's still taking them now since he's supposedly found "balance" (scoff, scoff).

But we all know he sure ain't seeing his kids any more than before. Nothing has changed as far as his recruiting and coaching and the time that entails. He's still one of the best in the business and he's still kind of an a$$hole.

Of all the things that Meyer said or did, that was the worst. Pure BS.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Of all the things that Meyer said or did, that was the worst. Pure BS.

I have one that’s pretty close.

I transferred back to Cleveland in 2010, so local bucknut coverage is unavoidable there. When he arrived in columbus, one of his early statements regarding his level of expectations of the team was that he won’t tolerate any quitters. I was completely dumbfounded he had the sack to say that after quitting on UF twice.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Thank you CJ, you helped to clean up my mess a bit and I do appreciate it. I have an acerbic sense of humor to say the least - which occasionally gets me into trouble. But, I do pay homage to Urban's accomplishments, I'm just less than enamored with some of his BS tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator