Tennessee: The game that will decide which direction the Gators will go this season

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By CaribGator

In Week 6, our Gators travel to Knoxville to play Tennessee in a game that will determine the mettle of this team and which direction they will go for the rest of year. Why Tennessee? Here are the reasons:

The first 3 games are two cupcakes and Kentucky (okay 3 cupcakes). The defense might shut out all three teams; Kentucky might be the only team that reaches double digits in points. The offense will still be learning the playbook and working on timing. We will see what players step up, giving Roper a chance to design plays for the skill set of individuals and certain groups. They should show marked improvement from game to game.

In Week 4 Florida heads to Alabama. How well the offense progressed in the first 3 games will determine how close this game will be. From the first few open practices it appears that the offensive line will have its hands full with SEC defenses (although facing our defensive line weekly should only improve them). Hopefully going through fall training and 3 cupcake games leading up to this one will help Coach Summers erase 2 years of lack of development and have them ready for the meat of the schedule.

I think our Gators have the ability to pull an upset in this game. However, Vegas and most of the world doesn't give them much of a chance; the odds are certainly stacked against them. So let's play with the scenarios. If the Gators lose (for any reason: our offensive line wasn't able to give time to the QB to make plays, turnovers, kicking game failed us), the most important aspect of this game is that they were competitive - a blowout would be bad news. If the Gators win, it doesn't matter if was a fluke play, a close game, a pick six in our favor – a win and this team will be sky high.

Week 5 is an open week, and then we arrive at the game that will decide which direction this Gator team goes for the remainder of the season:

Tennessee.

At one time, this used to be the game that decided the East. It had more than SEC implications, a national audience used to enjoy watching these two powers square off. The Gators are coming off their worst season in decades, and the Volunteers have fallen on hard times and seem to be in the 10th year of a rebuilding program. For the Vols there is no bigger rival than the Gators. While they have more history with Alabama, since being put in the same division as Florida no other team has crushed their dreams like the Gators have. We’re all familiar with the recent history of the rivalry so let's jump forward to 2014.

Scenarios:

A Florida squad coming off a win at Alabama could be overconfident. Tennessee has been known to pull an upset - they defeated South Carolina last year. The Volunteers will be as fired up as they can be for their biggest rival, a full house, emotions running high. A loss to Tennessee would be a big setback, as it is a game the Gators are expected to win and it would significantly hurt their chances of winning the East. They can't afford a letdown, they must win this game.

Florida coming off a loss at Alabama has a bye week to lick their wounds, hopefully spending that extra time learning from their mistakes. Regardless, Tennessee will smell blood, have a full house, and have a golden opportunity to hit their rival while they are down. A second consecutive Gator loss could send them reeling.

With three teams looming that beat the Gators last year (LSU, Missouri, and Georgia), it will be essential that Florida beat Tennessee to right the ship and move forward with confidence again.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Very good points here. With Tennessee breaking in a new oline no good experience under center. I think Tennessee takes a step back this year. That doesn't mean this game doesn't have ramifications.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The first order of business for a team that endured a record like last year is to get their mojo back (the can we do it, win in the clutch, holy sheat we're a juggernaut coming to a town near you). It's all on paper, the white board and dreams. Hopefully, a little nasty boys exist or emerge that can meld the team into each unit setting up the next unit for success. Yeah, the hillbillies are the corner. We'll be climbing or tumbling. I'm liking the juggernaut coming to town and kicking your ass imagery. Amen :clap:

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UT will be worse than terrible this year. Even UT fans here in Knoxville know the outlook is bleak.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n27209 said:
Very good points here. With Tennessee breaking in a new oline no good experience under center. I think Tennessee takes a step back this year. That doesn't mean this game doesn't have ramifications.

How do they step back? Lose to Kintucky also? There really isn't a "step back" from where they've been, just more of the same.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm more worried about Vandy than the Voles. It's our 4th cupcake on the schedule and should be a double digit win.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we break our winning streak this year it will be bad news. Let's at least wait till FL/GA week to determine our Coach's fate.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think the LSU game is the one that will show if we will have a decent season or not. If we have only 1 loss after that game I think Muschamp will survive. If we did lose to Tenn I don't see Muschamp turning it around with the remaining schedule.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree and it's more of the timing than to do with UcheaT. Very valid points. UF regardless of the prior game against BAMA. Should take care of business. But until this team and HC prove it, nothing is a given. With TN they may in fact very well "take a step back". Totally depleted on both Lines of scrimmage and repalcing all lineman. As of today still no word on who thier QB will be. Many of the Vols here are hoping for a 5-6 wing season. Absolutely not alot of hype coming out of K'ville.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Beating Bama is possible. They are 21 pt favorites and will be over confident. If Roper has our offense clicking and we can use the Oklahoma blueprint to keep their defense on its heels, we can beat them!

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice write up, a loss to ut would be bad news. I ran into a tn nose guards dad the other day and he said his son was looking to transfer. He would qualify to play under the graduation rule. He said that his son was not too thrilled about the new regime. I didn't ask for the players name.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't truly counter any point from this observer except to marvel at the Schedule Gods who inexplicably inserted the game against powerhouse Alabama in the fourth week and relegated the annual Vol-Gator bitter confrontation to the following week in October. Florida is coming off their worst season in over a half a century and will face Tennessee after brutally losing to national contender, the Alabama Crimson Tide. This will not be the same Gator coaches. players and fans that swagger walked over us the last decade. This is a team that has doubts about its head coach, assistant coaches, quarterback and other areas. The time is ripe. Seize the opportunity. Bury these Gators before Junior, Lulu and the home folks in Neyland Stadium to the strains of "Rocky Top" and "Jump Around". May Allah shower this Big Orange land of drought with the rains of victory and RETRIBUTION.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I liked the article, but I think you can make a better argument for Lsu or even Mizzou since UF lost to both of them last year and they are both about midway through the season. Beating UT won't save Muschamp's job or turn UF into possible title contenders in the public's eye, but a win against Lsu changes things. I think we will beat Lsu this year. They have have lots of youth on both sides of the ball, including a freshman Qb. Being a home game doesn't hurt either. We match up well against them and a win would go a long ways for the rest of the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n27255 said:
Beating Bama is possible. They are 21 pt favorites and will be over confident.
Exactly! Being 21 point underdogs is evidence that we have them just where we want them.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n27299 said:
I can't truly counter any point from this observer except to marvel at the Schedule Gods who inexplicably inserted the game against powerhouse Alabama in the fourth week and relegated the annual Vol-Gator bitter confrontation to the following week in October. Florida is coming off their worst season in over a half a century and will face Tennessee after brutally losing to national contender, the Alabama Crimson Tide. This will not be the same Gator coaches. players and fans that swagger walked over us the last decade. This is a team that has doubts about its head coach, assistant coaches, quarterback and other areas. The time is ripe. Seize the opportunity. Bury these Gators before Junior, Lulu and the home folks in Neyland Stadium to the strains of "Rocky Top" and "Jump Around". May Allah shower this Big Orange land of drought with the rains of victory and RETRIBUTION.

Definitely the way you are spinning shows just how low and desperate the Vile nation has become. So we'll look at this point by point...... Ok take out Miami last year and replace with Bama but we get a week off before UT. No difference other than we get a week off. No matter the outcome.

Yes it will be different coaches. Roper and Sommers. We had no swagger last year and beat a UT team that was more talented than the 2014 version. And not to mention with a b/u QB. UF is upgraded.

Doubts about the coaches?....refer to the prior statement. All indications are the team is responding to the changes as has be documented by the offseason behavior. Roper seems to have a command of the "O" and Sommers is a major upgrade in coaching. If you were looking at this from a different angle you would be thinking you were talking exactly about UcheaT.

Doubts on B!tch Jones, will he get it done?
Asst. Coaches?? Really what have they done yet?
Time is ripe? Maybe from a stench perspective. Have fun replacing both OL and DL. And also UT settle on a QB yet? Didn't think so.
And look at your schedule. You have a date with the Sooners prior to UF. That's more of a definite "L" for the Viles than UF vs. Bama. We have a shot. UT will be shot.

Wishful thinking and the usual preseason dribble from Alvie.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't even imagine being a Vole. As terrible was we were last year, losing to almost everyone, we still EASILY dispatched the Voles.

It wasn't even a game and frankly it was the only one we had last year that I wasn't concerned about.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n27245 said:
I think the LSU game is the one that will show if we will have a decent season or not. If we have only 1 loss after that game I think Muschamp will survive. If we did lose to Tenn I don't see Muschamp turning it around with the remaining schedule.

Exactly, that is the reasoning behind why winning the Tennessee game is critical. Lose that and we go the next week against LSU with probably 2 straight losses and no confidence. Do they stop buying in to the program? Will the team quit on Muschamp again?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n27299 said:
Meet the 40 year old virgin guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator