Tennessee vs Texas A&M

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
This was a game Tennessee earned a chance to win by a great defensive effort play but lost. Georgia was a game UT earned a loss but thanks to Georgia's boneheadedness, they won.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
This was a game Tennessee earned a chance to win by a great defensive effort play but lost. Georgia was a game UT earned a loss but thanks to Georgia's boneheadedness, they won.

A&M had the game iced but for the dumbazz runner that let up at the 10 and allowed a desperate TN defender to catch him and punch the ball out at the 3 - touchback. 7 turnovers put the inbreds down. It was a miracle they were even in the game after all those TO's. But that was one helluva SEC football game. Did you watch, Mac?

Gatorfool

Sep 9, 2016
A&M had the game iced but for the dumbazz runner that let up at the 10 and allowed a desperate TN defender to catch him and punch the ball out at the 3 - touchback. 7 turnovers put the inbreds down. It was a miracle they were even in the game after all those TO's. But that was one helluva SEC football game. Did you watch, Mac?
I hate the Vols as much as anybody here, but the best team did not win the game yesterday folks, a&m defense looks as bad as ours, they never did figure how to cover the back coming outta the backfield.,

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hate the Vols as much as anybody here, but the best team did not win the game yesterday folks, a&m defense looks as bad as ours, they never did figure how to cover the back coming outta the backfield.,

If A&M's defense is bad, what does that make Tennessee's?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Other than Ole Miss last year, tell me when they've stopped a decent offense.
They held their own fine against both FSU and Bama until the offense went 3 and out every single drive and they ran out of gas. Doesn't matter how good your defense is, if they get one minute breaks between drives, they'll falter eventually.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They held their own fine against both FSU and Bama until the offense went 3 and out every single drive and they ran out of gas. Doesn't matter how good your defense is, if they get one minute breaks between drives, they'll falter eventually.
So, they haven't...unless we make excuses for them. Got it! :lol:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, they haven't...unless we make excuses for them. Got it! :lol:
Sas and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to politics, but he's right about this. The level of competition has had little to do with our defensive performances. It's pretty much always been when our offense starts sputtering and sending our defense back out on the field without a rest when things start falling apart on us quickly. There's definitely a direct correlation.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sas and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to politics, but he's right about this. The level of competition has had little to do with our defensive performances. It's pretty much always been when our offense starts sputtering and sending our defense back out on the field without a rest when things start falling apart on us quickly. There's definitely a direct correlation.

No excuse for the Tenn game - heck they were scoring in every drive except one in just 3 or 4 plays not enough to even cause the defense to tire besides the crazy length of TV timeouts. Our offense only ran one less play than them in the 2nd half I think because they were scoring so fast on our bad defense that 2nd half.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No excuse for the Tenn game - heck they were scoring in every drive except one in just 3 or 4 plays not enough to even cause the defense to tire. Our offense only ran one less play than them in the 2nd half I think because they were scoring so fast on our bad defense that 2nd half.
There can be no doubt they capitalized on Tabor being in the locker room for one TD, and then again when he slipped to the ground. That pretty much opened the flood gates, but it also directly correlated with our offense all the sudden going into the fetal position and refusing to get a 1st down for practically a whole dang quarter. Momentum matters.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We used to have this tired defense debate in 2014 also but the stats showed then our defense was getting more rest than every team in college football except one when you look at how many plays they defended for the game. That was probably due to Muschamp's time of possession mess.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There can be no doubt they capitalized on Tabor being in the locker room for one TD, and then again when he slipped to the ground. That pretty much opened the flood gates, but it also directly correlated with our offense all the sudden going into the fetal position and refusing to get a 1st down for practically a whole dang quarter. Momentum matters.

I agree it can probably can be a mental thing but they collapsed so quickly even with us still leading they don't really have an excuse for it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry, but I can't defend our defense when they get steamrolled in EVERY game we play against a quality opponent. It's been happening far too long to make excuses for them. Keep believing it's because of this or because of that, but it will not change the fact that it's true. If they were truly an elite defense like we would LIKE to believe, then it wouldn't happen EVERY time. Worse than average offense, mediocre defense, mediocre special teams equals a mediocre football team. It's who we are at this point in time. :(

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The defense can control the length of time they're on the field by shutting down the offense they face.??
Our D allowed Dobbs to beat them with passing.?? The Florida Gators have a long way to go and they
had better get going ASAP.

Here's a sequence for us all :
aTm is only good because they have this miraculous Heisman QB. Once he's gone they will drop.
Well, aTm lost their miracle QB and NFL WRs and they remained contenders = good coaches.
We need to get a coach-recruiter who recruits Texas. Flip an aTm coach? a Baylor coach?
a Texas coach? a Houston coach? ... Hell, the state of Texas H.S. football is so die-hard we
probably could get a coach superior to one of those we've already got.?

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, they've had one bad half this season, therefore they suck.

Actually they did not play well the first half of the Tennessee game, they were just lucky that open Tennessee receivers were dropping passes.

I agree that the defense last year was good (outside of the first half of the LSU game, but this year the D has played one good team and did not play well. I don't think you can blame that on the offense at all because Tennessee was moving the ball the entire game.

The reality is that Tennessee is a really good football team. They run the read option extremely well and nobody has really stopped it well yet. Tennessee has stopped themselves. They had 6 turnovers against A&M and still went to OT! That in itself is incredible. Dobbs has been good enough throwing the ball to make defenses pay when they stack the box and the OL has given him protection.

I still think Bama beats them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator