Thad Matta out as Buckeyes coach

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. That would be something.

Honestly, I still can't believe Billy left. He had a chance to go down as one greatest of all-time, in the same vane as Mike Krzyzewski and Dean Smith. If he has won one more NC he would have etched his name in stone.....plus he would have gotten to 750 or so wins. If he takes that OSU job I'll riot with you!!!
I don't see him coming back to the college ranks. He hated recruiting and wants to coach basketball 24/7.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
True. But when since John Havlicek & Jerry Lucas have they been relevant? Clark Kellogg, Greg Odin/Thad Natta and ???

He's a good coach but his time there had passed. Happy he could be a part of their #2 to the Gators run.

You threw a "but" in there like you're arguing with me, but it looks like you're agreeing with me?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Arizona’s president dropped a blunt line over any idea Ohio State might be interested in hoops coach Sean Miller.

"The Ohio State University is great university, but they are not going to get Coach Miller," Robert Robbins told The Arizona Republic.

“They will have to come over me to get him, as the saying goes, over my dead body."

- Urban Meyer and Ohio State explain “E + R = O”

Everything comes down to how you respond. Tune out the noise. Focus on what matters. Success will follow.

Event Response = Outcome pic.twitter.com/AkxcfCd8S7

— Ohio State Football (@OhioStateFB) June 5, 2017

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. That would be something.

Honestly, I still can't believe Billy left. He had a chance to go down as one greatest of all-time, in the same vane as Mike Krzyzewski and Dean Smith. If he has won one more NC he would have etched his name in stone.....plus he would have gotten to 750 or so wins. If he takes that OSU job I'll riot with you!!!
Easy fellas, Billy aint going to pOSU. He went to OKC to coach Xs and Os, not for the $$. He tired of the uncertainty of the recruiting game and having to deal with decisions of 16 and 17 year olds that directly impacted how he performed as a coach. I don't think he's ready to go back to that system, and if he did, he'd likely wait for something to open up at a more prestigious BB school, such as Kentucky, UNC, Duke or Kansas.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Easy fellas, Billy aint going to pOSU. He went to OKC to coach Xs and Os, not for the $$. He tired of the uncertainty of the recruiting game and having to deal with decisions of 16 and 17 year olds that directly impacted how he performed as a coach. I don't think he's ready to go back to that system, and if he did, he'd likely wait for something to open up at a more prestigious BB school, such as Kentucky, UNC, Duke or Kansas.

Billy is never going to win dick in the NBA with KD gone. Not sure he would want to keep knocking his head against the wall.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I always thought when K or Roy retire, Billy could end up at either place.

The slant on this is that Urban and him lived next door to each other, the 'circle of champions' they called it. If they are still tight, Urbs could push for him.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Insert "Y Tho" meme here.

@GaryParrishCBS: Chicago Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg has emerged as a real candidate at Ohio State, a source told @CBSSports.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
It was clear that Billy was burned out on the college scene by the time he left. He basically mailed it in during his last season at UF. He's a great coach and a great supporter of UF but I think he just got tired of the sh!t that goes on in recruiting.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It was clear that Billy was burned out on the college scene by the time he left. He basically mailed it in during his last season at UF. He's a great coach and a great supporter of UF but I think he just got tired of the sh!t that goes on in recruiting.

If you're at a blue blood it won't be as hard. UNC, Duke, UK or KU. Billy would be a great candidate at all of them. OKC is a dead end job. It's a waste of his talent.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
I always thought when K or Roy retire, Billy could end up at either place.

The slant on this is that Urban and him lived next door to each other, the 'circle of champions' they called it. If they are still tight, Urbs could push for him.
I think this "Urban and he are best friends" stuff is total crap.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Suckeye fans actually believe the Miller brothers(Sean and/or Archie) dream job was at pOSU.
:lmao2:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I agree completely however Billy has since realized that he did not escape having to deal with cheating or should I say favoritism.
The NBA is a complete cluster and I venture to say that Billy will be out of the league in 3-4 more years.

He walked into what, on the surface, appeared to be a dream situation only to watch it fall apart right in front of him. Westbrook will probably bail soon too and OKC will be Orlando in no time and I hate to say it but we will be playing against Billy at some point..

I can't even watch that product they call basketball in the NBA so I really struggle with how he could be coaching "X's and O's" in a league that is geared for entertainment versus basketball. When the NBA views a rule as an obstacle they either change the rule or advise the refs to ignore it. You know silly rules like traveling, carrying the ball, hand checking, defense in general, I could go on and on

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Billy might be back in the college game at some point but I doubt it's soon, he didn't bail on 19 years at a school for a short fling, he'll give it a real go in the NBA.

Also don't see him ending up at a cess pool like OSU, I'm thinking small Big East schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.