The Athletic picks UF to go 3-9, dead last in the SEC East; have Napier on the hot seat

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Look by now it should be obvious the "wait until next year" train has already pulled into the station. I've already punched my ticket to get aboard. The season is aleady over for us. If we get 4 wins it will be a miracle. That's beyond a worry for now. What IS worrying are the recruits. I'm not sure how we are going to hold on to them with amateur hour rearing its head every saturday. I just dread getting the "flip" news that will surely start pouring in after the UT game....

It is very concerning going forward.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This is my concern. Billy's offensive doesn't seem to be anything at all. He just runs some basic plays that everyone has and uses, but the offense doesn't have any flavor. There's no redzone offense. There's no 2 min. offense. Most of the best scoring plays from last year were brought to you by AR-15 or Cy'Bo blowing open holes for ETN and Johnson. I mean, how does this guy plan to score? 1 TD in the last 8 quarters. Against the Pac 12. We in trouble.
Can anything good come from the repetitive bunch formations?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Nape was OC at Clemson, and Dabo fired him. His only chance is to hire a good OC to take over the play calling next year, and the good OC don’t seem to stick around to long before they get a head coaching gig.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I think Nape was OC at Clemson, and Dabo fired him. His only chance is to hire a good OC to take over the play calling next year, and the good OC don’t seem to stick around to long before they get a head coaching gig.
The only problem is he should have done that in the offseason. No way that happens until the next offseason at the earliest.

EDIT: I see you said next year. Duh.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
About the only thing we can do is play the best talent, seniority be damned, and hope they learn fast and the light comes on by the end of the season.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What do these "forecasters" know that the rest of us did not? I would have thought the worst expectation is a record similar to last year's. But it's as if they knew we would take a step back, which shouldn't be possible considering we had a losing season. But it's as if they knew something that we could not predict, or were to hopeful to expect.

I mean I could predict it, we hired a coach out of the wal mart clearance bin and brought in a QB that sucked in the big ten. How any of you thought this year would be decent is beyond me. I don’t think I’ve seen another team look worse to start the year except maybe Navy. I honestly think the Muschamp offenses were better than this dud.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I don't see it happening or a ST coordinator. Stubborn coaches are who they are. They are not changing. The walk away money is to big for them to change and not do what they want. This isn't back when they were worried about feeding the family if they got fired.

I think the book is out on coaches with experience at this point. Regardless of what program they are at they have already shown you who they are, what their philosophy is, etc. If a guy can barely score 20 points in the Sunbelt we shouldn't expect that to change when they come here. Mac, Mullen and Napier all broke the myth of "yeah but they were at so and so". I would hire the most aggressive OC in the country for their first gig rather than another low level coach again that won small with an outdated system. On the last cycle we were hiring Brian Kelly, Hugh Freeze and Lincoln Riley were all available. Kelly and Freeze would have taken it in a second. Riley always wanted USC and Hollywood, but a call would not have hurt. Instead we went straight to the bargain bin. Hell Malzan would have been better from what I've seen.

Kirby

Sep 25, 2017
I think the lower expectations for UF are more based on our opponents being better than last year and UF being about the same.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I mean I could predict it, we hired a coach out of the wal mart clearance bin and brought in a QB that sucked in the big ten. How any of you thought this year would be decent is beyond me. I don’t think I’ve seen another team look worse to start the year except maybe Navy. I honestly think the Muschamp offenses were better than this dud.
Remember how bad we looked under sMullen vs Miami in a season opener? Don’t like Napier’s play designs. But don’t believe Mertz was that bad. Lots of issues on offense and STs.

What’s with the lack of run game, not using our RBs? Maybe they didn’t believe our OL could run block? We should have averaged 4 yards per run.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Remember how bad we looked under sMullen vs Miami in a season opener? Don’t like Napier’s play designs. But don’t believe Mertz was that bad. Lots of issues on offense and STs.

What’s with the lack of run game, not using our RBs? Maybe they didn’t believe our OL could run block? We should have averaged 4 yards per run.
In Naps defense, there was ZERO chance we were running the ball with the initial 8-man front we faced and then after backing them off (a positive due to Mertz...go figure), the OL had no answer for run blocking the DL even though they were undersized.

This is unlikely to improve even with two coaches.

As an aside, can you possibly imagine having two managers for five employees whose job is essentially the same? Even considering g back ups, we are talking about a weird dynamic for coordinating efficient communication between closely aligned team members.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reading some of the prior post kind of makes me chuckle.......

None of us, including me, know Chit about what is going to happen in the future......

But we speak with such authority...

:lol2:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Reading some of the prior post kind of makes me chuckle.......

None of us, including me, know Chit about what is going to happen in the future......

But we speak with such authority...

:lol2:
You are 20+ years behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member