The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
So Nebraska, who hasn’t fired their coach, has secured a deal with another coach whose season isn’t over. I feel like we’ve flown back to La La Land again. :rolleyes3:

See, I’m wondering if there isn’t a tampering violation here. OR what problems Nebraska could have from Riley for searching while he’s under contract AND/OR what University bylaws may say. There may be, maybe not, some trouble brewing if this is the case. Remember the last school that pissed off a former coach...his name was Houston Nutt and when he got discovery in a lawsuit it put Ole Miss on probation and got Hugh Freeze fired.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
I'll say this....if we don't get Kelly [which seems more than likely now] or Frost [which is a long shot AFAIK] the fan base will experience a HUGE let down. When a coach is finally hired it will get the, "....who, what?" treatment. THAT coach will know that he's an option down the list and will have to win the fan base over. Whoever it will be they will have a hard hill to overcome.

This reminds me of a story from my days at UF.....Right after Pell got hired by UF before his Clemson Tigers went to the 1978 Gator Bowl leaving Danny Ford to coach them in the game that got Woody Hayes fired he showed up at Nickel's Alley with a couple of cheerleaders and a couple of the football players. He had a microphone and introduced himself and after a little talk he got out a UGA shirt and tore it to shreds and the crowd went wild. It was really weird he showed up there and I've never heard of another coach doing anything like that. Of course that year he went on to go 0-10-1 but he did put us on the map before he committed 107 NCAA violations and got us banned from bowl games for two years. The fact he took out a tore up a UGA shirt shows that he got it. I'll never forget that.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
So far I’ve only heard one name that actually wants the job; Charlie Strong.

Frost doesn’t exactly give off the vibe that he’s interested.

-THE DUDE-

This is the year!!!
Looks like all the scout and 247 guys have thrown in the towel on Kelly... all their "sources" that claimed a done deal have gone silent...

I don't see Frost coming here so we better get ready for a Mullen, Taggert, Norvell, or Strong type hire... while disappointing it can't be worse than butters

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Yeah, I'm a little surprised of Florida openly discussing meeting with a coach whose season isn't over yet. I thought we said that was a no-no.

Yeah that entire presser, complete with its faux bravado, and clever tweets that followed in the following days is looking more and more like a complete failure.

The only thing I’m giving some credence to is his “don’t believe everything you here” mantra. The problem is, his whole “productive talks, lots of interest in the job, we’re going to end in a great place” talk is first among my suspicions.

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Yeah that entire presser, complete with its faux bravado, and clever tweets that followed in the following days is looking more and more like a complete failure.

The only thing I’m giving some credence to is his “don’t believe everything you here” mantra. The problem is, his whole “productive talks, lots of interest in the job, we’re going to end in a great place” talk is first among my suspicions.

If half of what we're hearing is accurate, then Kelly's one difficult cat to negotiate with. This may not necessarily be Stricklin's fault.

Zambo

Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
I just don't get all the angst. I really don't. Its not even Saturday yet of the final week of the season and people are giving up hope because we haven't announced a coach yet. There are only one or two candidates that we have even been able to interview yet, much less draw up and contract, sign it, and have a presser about it. Damn folks.....

Durty South Swamp

doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
I just don't get all the angst. I really don't. Its not even Saturday yet of the final week of the season and people are giving up hope because we haven't announced a coach yet. There are only one or two candidates that we have even been able to interview yet, much less draw up and contract, sign it, and have a presser about it. Damn folks.....
There's only 2 candidates worth a crap, and we already whiffed with one, while a lot of reports are that the other has eyes for his alma mater. Doesn't leave a good taste in ones mouth.

A lot of ppl were hoping that after 8 long years of wandering in the wilderness, we'd finally get a great HC since there were a couple out there and we got the jump on all other interested suitors. Not to mention that UF is supposed to be a big time job and destination. Hopefully things work out, but you can't deny that the trend seems to be going in a negative direction, and fans have already about had it due to the last near decade.

Zambo

Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
There's only 2 candidates worth a crap, and we already whiffed with one, while a lot of reports are that the other has eyes for his alma mater. Doesn't leave a good taste in ones mouth.

A lot of ppl were hoping that after 8 long years of wandering in the wilderness, we'd finally get a great HC since there were a couple out there and we got the jump on all other interested suitors. Not to mention that UF is supposed to be a big time job and destination. Hopefully things work out, but you can't deny that the trend seems to be going in a negative direction, and fans have already about had it due to the last near decade.

Wow I'm disappointed in you. We don't know any of that. At all. We don't know if Kelly is going to be the coach, if Frost "looks like he's heading to his alma mater" or any other speculation. Anybody who claims to know whats going on in our coaching search is substituting feelings for facts and rumors for reporting. Seriously, I can't believe folks are doubling-down on this kind of crap when its not even final Saturday yet.

Durty South Swamp

doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Wow I'm disappointed in you. We don't know any of that. At all. We don't know if Kelly is going to be the coach, if Frost "looks like he's heading to his alma mater" or any other speculation. Anybody who claims to know whats going on in our coaching search is substituting feelings for facts and rumors for reporting. Seriously, I can't believe folks are doubling-down on this kind of crap when its not even final Saturday yet.
I hear what youre saying but its akin to splitting hairs at this point. I said reports are about frost to NU. I didnt say "done deal" or anything similar that has been thrown around the other way. Regarding kelly, most all of the kelly to UF is a lock sources are now either silent or have conceded that the reports were premature/incorrect and looks like kelly will not be at UF. So yes, you are correct, no one knows anything, but the trend is pretty telling and not in a way we want. You are acting as if there is zero information out there and thats not really the case bro.

Zambo

Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
I hear what youre saying but its akin to splitting hairs at this point. I said reports are about frost to NU. I didnt say "done deal" or anything similar that has been thrown around the other way. Regarding kelly, most all of the kelly to UF is a lock sources are now either silent or have conceded that the reports were premature/incorrect and looks like kelly will not be at UF. So yes, you are correct, no one knows anything, but the trend is pretty telling and not in a way we want. You are acting as if there is zero information out there and thats not really the case bro.

Dude, there is precisely ZERO credible information out there. Just like last week and the week before. The fact that some internet dweebs and twitter wannabes post up "news" from their "sources" in order to try and boost their personal credibility in the retarded blogosphere of sports means nothing. Hell I was looking at facebook and seeing random screenshots from this very thread posted up as a "source." The whole thing is beyond retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.