The Kyle Trask Thread

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
How exactly has Trask showed up Franks... being ineffective in a meaningless spring game?

Go back and read what I have said. Number one, I do not believe Trask is an SEC caliber QB. I don't believe he should be the starter. I never said he set the world on fire ever. I think we will be screwed with either one as our starter. Now, that being said, the kid should not have been given a scholarship here to begin with but if he is so terrible, why is he in the conversation at all? He shows signs of being a more polished passer than the starting QB at the university of Fl. As sad as that may be, he has just as much right at playing time as Franks in my book. Franks is a head case that I really doubt Mullen can fix.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Go back and read what I have said. Number one, I do not believe Trask is an SEC caliber QB. I don't believe he should be the starter. I never said he set the world on fire ever. I think we will be screwed with either one as our starter. Now, that being said, the kid should not have been given a scholarship here to begin with but if he is so terrible, why is he in the conversation at all? He shows signs of being a more polished passer than the starting QB at the university of Fl. As sad as that may be, he has just as much right at playing time as Franks in my book. Franks is a head case that I really doubt Mullen can fix.
Neither of them should have been given a scholarship to UF. FF was totally raw and would have probably required 4 years to even be serviceable. I want the QB in there that will give us the best chance to win. I just don't think it's Franks.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
By pushing him all spring long. Franks did not exactly light it up either besides the long TD to McGriff. Oh and that long run? That would have been a 6-7 yard gain in a regular game.

So again, how did he show up Franks? If they were both ineffective, that's not showing up anyone.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A serviceable QB you say? Wyatt Rector out of Leesburg? I also remember a guy called Michael Penix out of Tampa.

Do you spend two weeks getting Jones, and the other in the class... or do you waste some of that time on getting "serviceable". Also might have thought, we have Allen also on the roster, so the numbers were not so bad.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Neither of them should have been given a scholarship to UF. FF was totally raw and would have probably required 4 years to even be serviceable. I want the QB in there that will give us the best chance to win. I just don't think it's Franks.

I'll say if we had an established starter who would allow Franks 3 years before having to start, it's not a bad investment. Butters might have through they would have gotten through year one and two with Del Taco (just a guess). Franks on athletic talent alone you take a shot with if you have someone that will keep him on the bench for 3 years (redshirt, Fresh, Soph). Trask, should be at a lower teir (non-BCS) school.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I'll say if we had an established starter who would allow Franks 3 years before having to start, it's not a bad investment. Butters might have through they would have gotten through year one and two with Del Taco (just a guess). Franks on athletic talent alone you take a shot with if you have someone that will keep him on the bench for 3 years (redshirt, Fresh, Soph). Trask, should be at a lower teir (non-BCS) school.
And then the supremely talented FF goes to the Army AA bowl and totally craps the bed. Then he comes to Florida and in his first Spring game throws 3 interceptions and looks totally lost. He still looks lost sometimes, 2.5 years later.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reading day 2 practice report and Franks looks like hot garbage

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Reading day 2 practice report and Franks looks like hot garbage
I don't know what made people think he was salvageable. So many of his issues stem from bad instinct. You can seldom correct that.

leogator

May 5, 2018
Personally I am partial to slants to beat a bliz or uneven pressure. Just as long as both the QB and the receiver recognize it.

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
He is able to nip at the heels of an under developed supremely athletically gifted that everyone and their brother knew was 3 years away. That's not a great feat. All that Franks proved is that he should haven't started (nor should anyone) under the Nuss/McElwain regime especially two years too early.

No one gives a schit that he has worked hard, there have been thousands of UF players who worked hard and never saw a down on the field. But got their 4 year degrees, so far that is all that Trask has earned. He hasn't earned more than that. He hasn't even "earned" the ability to dress to this point.
Do you REALLY have a problem with Trask getting the second quarter against Charleston to show what he can do in an actual game?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And then the supremely talented FF goes to the Army AA bowl and totally craps the bed. Then he comes to Florida and in his first Spring game throws 3 interceptions and looks totally lost. He still looks lost sometimes, 2.5 years later.

Yep Franks has wilted since the competition was upped - from the high school all star stuff to starting here. I think he will end up getting yanked for Trask by the end of the Miss State game. Now whether Trask can do anything I don't know but its hard to picture him being worse than how Franks played last season.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Back & forth, 'round & 'round.
If UF is to have a "developing" QB then this will have to "develop" before or early in the season :

1) Top physically equipped FF will have to transmogrify into a dual beast with high CFB IQ ??
or
2) Trask will have to blossom due to real playing-training chances experienced as never given before ??
and/or
3) EJ will have to grow past these two's lead-time quite swiftly.

Negatively precluding any of these won't promote the radical, desperate turnaround us Gators need.
I'm pulling for 1,2,& 3 .... maybe more. The absolute greatest force our team has is their FB spirit mind-set set free from the fraudulent FB goulash that was CEO McElblames immersion quicksand. Now they are all-immersed in all the correct aspects of being college level FB players. Let's bet on that momentum.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So again, how did he show up Franks? If they were both ineffective, that's not showing up anyone.
12-23 0 tds, 2 dropped ints (both QB errors), 0 yards rushing and basically 5 sacks (only three got counted but two others DL had hand full of jersey).

I wonder how bad his stats would actually have to be for people acknowledged the truth.

It reminds me of last year when I said Franks isnt ready, Trash isnt a Div1(or Div2 or 3) QB, and LDR was unfortunately the best option.

And yet most of you people declared Franks messiah and had orgasms when Franks trotted out there. ANYTHING IA BETTER THAN LDR was the mantra. Oops.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Trask has the talent to play and be much better than what Franks has shown. The problem is that he lacks experience,and I don't get the confidence factor from him either. I think Franks starts....f's up....Trask gets his shot...and who knows. I think we could very easily lose to UK at home if we don't have the QB situation wrapped up better. I don't hear a lot of good about EJ yet, other than the dreaded potential.

I honestly think Franks is just broken. Not expecting much this season at all. Hopefully our OL will play well enough for our backs to carry us. Next season should be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator