The Kyle Trask Thread

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You could give Franks 10 years and he would still suck. The most important skills are quick thinking and getting the ball out quickly on short routes. He will never master either of those.
Look, I agree with your assessment regarding quick thinking and getting the ball out quickly, and what Franks looked like generally last year. BUT... Tebow wasn't a quick thinker or good at getting the ball out quickly either.

It is a VERY simple offense.

I won't be surprised if looks entirely different this year and all that really matters is that we have some passing threat and some running threat from the QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Franks has "served" real-time as their QB, while Trask has not taken a single game snap. That may account for the variance in their jargon? It's problemly gonna take FF throwing game endangering INTs, while Trask throws none.
So, yes it's probly Franks' spot to lose (or win) with Trask awaiting his chance that he must capitalize on. All CFB teams have had their naturally accepted QB replaced when struggling where the "in-waiting" QB steps in and pulls the game out = like Bama's Tua in NC game last year. IDK. Then that new gut is everybody's favorite to lead. Can only wait to see which QB guy takes charge.

Probably Franks' better run breakaways will make him the QB in this Mullin offense.?? However, in Franks' last game, he threw passes no-way could he have a WR picked out because he threw them to wide open FSU uniforms.
So, even if Franks starts will he throw INTs or incomplete passes where the opposing players were closest to the
ball ?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's problemly gonna take FF throwing game endangering INTs, while Trask throws none.
Did you actually watch the spring game? BC Trash hit the defense in the hands twice, in twenty-ish attempts. 23 I think.

If Franks had put up 12-23, with 2 INTs, 0 Tds and 0 yards rushing, I can't imagine what you people would be saying now.

Delusions are what they are, I guess.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Look, I agree with your assessment regarding quick thinking and getting the ball out quickly, and what Franks looked like generally last year. BUT... Tebow wasn't a quick thinker or good at getting the ball out quickly either.

It is a VERY simple offense.

I won't be surprised if looks entirely different this year and all that really matters is that we have some passing threat and some running threat from the QB.

Did you just compare Franks to Tebow? Kind of like comparing Eddie Gaedel to Babe Ruth. Both played the same sport, buts that’s where the comparison ends.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Did you just compare Franks to Tebow? Kind of like comparing Eddie Gaedel to Babe Ruth. Both played the same sport, buts that’s where the comparison ends.
Did you see the comparisons of a divisiom 3 scout teamer Trash to our record setting Leak (who might have had 16k yards or more w SOS or competent OCs)? That didnt trigger you?

Of course Im not comparing a state and college champion and Heisman winner to Franks.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My comments on QB possibility are not favoring any competitor. What can be judged about Trask, about Franks.
About Trask there's zero performance to judge, only bias against a bench warmer who's gotten no chances to show.
Sure, that's not a plus. But for Franks we do have that evidence that after a season of experience, then against our most hated rival, FSU, that our players should be most "fired up" to beat, experienced Franks threw killing pic-6s.

All this points to the obvious = open-minded try-outs at QB. At least give Trask time in the game, holding a "test" comparison to Franks' performance at the helm.??

All Franks v Trask comparisons assume that freshman Emory Jones cannot be that rare 'phenom' who could take over the ream with only high school experience and not be mistake prone. Whichever QB shows best results, gets to lead the team. Hip-hip, bring us results coach-architect Dan Mullin.... GatorNation is way overdue.
Didn't those John Reaves-Carlos Alvarez Gators surprise the CFB landscape?- like out of nowhere ??

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jones with all the true freshman mistakes is still a better option than a retooled, reconceived and reconnoitered Franks.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Did you see the comparisons of a divisiom 3 scout teamer Trash to our record setting Leak (who might have had 16k yards or more w SOS or competent OCs)? That didnt trigger you?

Of course Im not comparing a state and college champion and Heisman winner to Franks.

He likely wasn't triggered because I've qualified such statements with "junior varsity" and "second hand" which, in your opinion, Donk, are still too generous for Kyle, but I've never made the one to one sort of comparison you seemed to make before clarifying. Wouldn't dare be casual with my comparisons. This board is too sharp. I'm just speculating on the types of approaches Dan has used here in the past, legendary as they may be compared to present, and lesser, talent he has available.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

Easy to characterize this as PC fluffing, but if it's not and this comes to pass - UP, UP, AND AWAY!!!!

ORmuy.gif

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016

“I think Franks is more elusive in getting out of the pocket and extending the play a little bit more. I just think Trask is really smart and he knows what is going on and he is calm with it and you can feel it.”

In other words, Franks might extend the play but 9 out of 10 times he still doesn't know what to do with it.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cardozo said on the radio Friday that Trask put on a good amount of muscle over the summer. Also on the video of the QBs warming up, his release is twice as fast as the other QBs. You never know what will happen. All I care is that the best one is picked.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Mark Wheeler
Staff
10:34p, 8/4/18

I honestly believe he might be better than he is going to be able to show in this offense. Sort of like a John Brantley scenario where he was just miscast playing for Urban Meyer. Regardless of the talk of molding an offense to the players, Dan Mullen's offense requires the quarterback run the ball via it by RPO or straight keeper calls. Of the top three, he is the most reluctant, and least capable, when it comes to running.

If the offense were base solely on standing in the pocket and getting the ball to the playmakers, he would have a much better shot - he might even be the favorite.
In reply to Mark Wheeler

Agreed everything is set up for Franks to walk away with this job as long as he wants it. 3 years into "QB competition" (that first year he wasn't really in the mix, but did enough to get notices) and this is Trask's last real shot at taking the job. However, this is the first year he's really made a strong push as mentioned, so he seems to know that as well.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
If Franks extending the play means running out of bounds for a five yard loss or throwing silly INTs then give Trask a shot. Granted, Mullen has the QBs running north/south if at all so hopefully in this scheme Franks won’t have to risk his tendencies if Dan sets him up with the right calls.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Trask confident in UF's offense, ready to shed backup label

Florida Gators Football: Kyle Trask confident in UF's offense, ready to shed backup label

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- As Florida's quarterback battle opened during fall camp with redshirt sophomore Feleipe Franks maintaining what many have reported is a slight lead for the job, many Gators fans have wondered... why, exactly?

Franks wasn't exactly great as a freshman a year ago, posting just 1,438 yards passing, a 54.6 percent completion percentage and throwing just nine touchdowns against eight interceptions.

But his competition is even less experienced than he is, whether you consider last year's experience positive or negative.

Considered his chief competition for the starting job this fall, redshirt sophomore Kyle Trask has never taken a snap in college. In fact, he was a backup quarterback in high school. But Trask isn't letting that affect his mental preparation as he prepares to try to snag the gig from Franks this fall.

"I've always viewed myself as an underdog, even in high school," Trask said Friday. "So I've always had that mindset, and I feel like that has prepared me to take that next step."

After two fall practices, again that 'slight lead' that many keep saying Franks has for the job is hard to see in terms of their play on the field. In the 14 periods of practice open to the media so far, Trask has been more accurate. And coach Dan Mullen praised him for having the best play of the day in Friday's opening practice.

The question is can Trask actually win the job? Or is the idea that this is a real competition more lip service to help the coaching staff continue pushing Franks?

Trask believes he's got a real shot and can continue to show it to the coaches as camp progresses.

"I feel a lot more confident," Trask said. "Coach Mullen and his staff, they've worked with us a lot to make sure we know the plays very well. To me it was a pretty easy system to learn, so just that aspect of it I'm very confident in the offense."

And while Franks is the one who has roomed with top receiver Van Jefferson and plans to live with fellow highly touted transfer Trevon Grimes this fall, Trask said he's seen his own leadership grow as he gets more comfortable with the guys.

He's probably not quite as gregarious as Franks, who Jefferson claims never shuts up. He doesn't come off as quite as vocal, either, but he believes his knowledge of the offense will help pay dividends.

"We've put in a lot of work this offseason and it's really showing," Trask said. "I think this new offense, we've been having coaches quiz us and things like that on it, so we've been up to date with what they want us to know by the time they want us to know it by. We've been working really hard to get this offense down to a T and things are rolling really good right now."

If there's one area that Trask can really create some separation in, it might just be the thing the coaches are looking for most. He seems perfectly content to take the checkdowns and safe throws when they're available.

That's something the staff is really trying to emphasize to Franks.

However, that doesn't mean the talented, big-armed redshirt sophomore is afraid to take some shots, either.

"Good starting quarterbacks, I feel like they're not afraid to make mistakes," Trask said. "They're not afraid. They throw a bad pass, they're not going to dwell on it. To be a good quarterback in a big-time program, you have to be able to throw the ball without being afraid to mess up. You have to be able to throw and just if it's a bad throw, you know what? Next play. You can't control what happened in the past."

Trask's past, backup quarterback and all, won't matter much if he continues to show strong accuracy and can prove he can make the unspectacular plays on a routine basis.

That's all Florida's coaches are looking for this fall. If he can provide it, he might finally see that backup label drop from in front of his name.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Any shots with his shirt off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics