The National Signing Day Thread

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I'm neutral on Mullen....what I don't get is all the hostility over questioning the "success" of this class. I thought there was a little more excitement around our program since his hiring.....18th ranked classes don't scream excitement over a program regardless of there being a new coach or not...Usually it takes a year or 2 to tell though, we'll see.

I have no problem with questioning this class. Yes, it is a solid class and yes if we consider the transfers the overall talent of the team took a significant step in the right direction.

But it’s also true that we’re right in the mix with other transition classes. F$U, UCLA, Oregon, A&M, Nebraska and even the “dumpster fire” inbreds are in basically the same range.

It isn’t like Noah Boykin or another big DE were the make/break players of the next 3-4 years. But it would have been nice.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
McCaslin did switch to OLB his senior year and played pretty well.
yeah, I was a student at the time, I remember McCaslin well. we were hurting for LBs in 99-00 seasons after Rutledge, Kearse, and Peterson left and then Andra Davis got hurt. that 2000 game in starkville was particularly rough

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
yeah, I was a student at the time, I remember McCaslin well. we were hurting for LBs in 99-00 seasons after Rutledge, Kearse, and Peterson left and then Andra Davis got hurt. that 2000 game in starkville was particularly rough

I misunderstood your post & deleted mine.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017
Well Lewis did start In a National Championship game.

You were right about Ratliff, though I swear he was given a shot at WR. He played both in HS.

Here is the Gainesville Sun’s NSD article listing Haden as a WR. Gonzales was his recruiter as well, which is telling.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20070207/another-no-1-for-florida

Dunbar is exactly what Law is talking about though. He sucked as a receiver, so give him a shot at CB. If he fails, process him out.

Using an article from the Sun to prove anything is laughable. Both recruiting services listed Haden as an athlete, and Haden was recruited by Gonzalez because that was his region, not because of his position.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Some of you are arguing this WR/DB debate as if your lives depended on it. I’m not sure if I’m amused or annoyed at the waste of space. Great job everybody!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arkansa9s??? ARKANSAS??? Dang. For some reason, in the back of my mind, I thought Gerald was a Gator lock.

I think he was, but non-FL grad Juco's who don't plan ahead don't usually meet the FL math requirements as I understand it. FL has an Algebra requirement to graduate high school.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he was, but non-FL grad Juco's who don't plan ahead don't usually meet the FL math requirements as I understand it. FL has an Algebra requirement to graduate high school.
There is a lot you have to do to complete the gen ed requirements. Most four year colleges don't require this and most jucos don't offer them. There is also some Florida specific test (CLAST? maybe). Many comm college/juco courses won't work and the Florida schools must see certain things on the syllabi. It's not just math, there has to for instance algebra plus calc or pre calc or statistics. They must have biology and chemistry or some other similar substitute. A year of foreign language.

Most jucos students just don't do this, they are jucos after all. Bonehead 099 or 100 type courses wont work to transfer to UF. Many of the AS level courses that don't meet the rules. It's basically the gen ed requirements for BA degrees, not just wandering through college for two years.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Swamp Donkey this is for you.

http://floridagators.com/news/2001/9/12/3242.aspx

Everything had come so easy to Keiwan Ratliff in high school.

He starred on both sides of the ball, earning All-American recognition as both a receiver and cornerback. Even a handful of division one schools wanted him to play ball for them. Basketball, that is.

The good times kept rolling for Ratliff until late in the summer of 1999, when he was faced with something he had never dealt with before: Adversity. Nearing the end of two-a-day practices at Florida and looking to see playing time at the wide receiver position as a true freshman, Ratliff was notified that he would not be initially eligible for the upcoming season.

Heading back home to Columbus, Ohio, meant Ratliff wouldn’t have a chance to see the results of all the sweat he shared with his teammates during the grueling summer workouts. Instead of being out on the field with them, he’d have to settle for watching the games from a distance.

Overwhelmed initially, Ratliff feared that this setback spelled the end of his football career. After consulting with family and coaches at Florida, Ratliff decided that the first real challenge that he faced in his life wouldn’t get the best of him.

“It was the first time since I was four that I couldn’t put on a uniform and go out and play,” Ratliff said. “But I had to be strong and keep my head up.”

For someone who had never faced hardship in his life, the strength Ratliff displayed was admirable. Rather than sulking in his misfortune, Ratliff passed his days by tending to his academic responsibilities and working out. In addition, Ratliff made sure to spend a lot of time on the football field at Whitehall-Yearling High School.

Working primarily with some of the same defensive backs and receivers that were his teammates and classmates only a year earlier, Ratliff shared with them some of the things that made him so successful on the field. He demonstrated how to get open and how to stay on receivers, and he even passed on some of the knowledge that he had learned at his brief stay at Florida, such as how to read a receiver’s hips.

But much more important than these technical skills, Ratliff gave them the confidence they had been in search of. He forced the group, composed primarily of seniors who had not previously been relied on to contribute, to believe that they could be as good, if not better, than he was.

“I was trying to be a big brother instead of a coach, and I wanted to be someone who they could come and talk to,” Ratliff said. “A lot of them didn’t have confidence and I was trying to get them to play to the best of their ability day in and day out.”

Whitehall-Yearling coach Scott Gordon, who coached Ratliff, said that he was very fortunate to have Ratliff spend time with his team.

“He’s been a role model for so many young kids in the community, and he’s very much respected,” Gordon said. “He offered a lot of advice, and just having his presence there showed his character.”

In the summer of 2000, it was time for Ratliff to part ways with Gordon and Ohio to finally begin his career at Florida. After spending the previous year convincing himself that he was ready to be a division one receiver and envisioning himself catching corner routes in the end zone at The Swamp, Ratliff couldn’t wait to be a part of Coach Steve Spurrier’s offense.

A logjam of talented athletes at the receiver position, however, forced Ratliff to move to the other side of the ball and become a member of Defensive Coordinator Jon Hoke’s defense. Although disappointed with the change at first, Ratliff gradually became accustomed to playing cornerback at the collegiate level and finished the year appearing in all 12 games, including one start.

His improvement continued through this past spring, where Ratliff was named the team’s most improved defensive back. Hoke said that the Social and Behavior Sciences major has impressed him with his big-play ability.

“Keiwan is a talented player,” Hoke said. “He just need to focus on getting better every week and he’s got an opportunity to be a fine player for us.”

Ratliff said he has become more comfortable at the defensive back position, and that he is gaining confidence in situations where he is isolated with the receiver. Junior safety Guss Scott believes his teammate has come a long way from the tentative freshman Ratliff described himself as.

“Your first year doing anything at this level is kind of hard looking at things,” Scott said. “[Ratliff] caught on pretty quick and is a play maker.”

Ratliff’s play making skills haven’t been lost in his switch to cornerback, and he is able to showcase his speed as one of Florida’s top return men on both kick-offs and punts. With senior cornerback Robert Cromartie lost for the season, Ratliff figures to be relied heavily upon in the secondary this year.

Although he will miss played alongside his fallen teammate, Ratliff said he would make the most of his opportunity.

“I’m looking at it as my chance to step up and help out my team in any way that I can,” Ratliff said. “By any means necessary, I’ll do the best I can to help out my teammates.”

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
I don't think it was a qualification problem with Gerald. Talk on other boards a couple of days ago speculated that we were on the fence with him and many thought we would rescind and he'd pick Arkansas. Which cracks me up. Jumbo gets beat by...pigs.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think it was a qualification problem with Gerald. Talk on other boards a couple of days ago speculated that we were on the fence with him and many thought we would rescind and he'd pick Arkansas. Which cracks me up. Jumbo gets beat by...pigs.
Some also thought it'd be him and Langham vying for the same spot. Langham was higher on the board, so when he signed, Gerald was out. From what I've heard around town, they are looking for a huge class next year, maybe up to 29 guys if they can get quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.