The next wave I expect to pop

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
How quickly people forget....or how poorly they learn history.

The situations are a bit different. Spurrier has stated repeatedly that he inherited a loaded roster. When he walked in the door he had a monster offensive line, Shane Matthews and a stubborn defense. Spurrier never had to put Treon Harris behind the center. Spurrier made it through his first two seasons without dealing with his starting QB getting injured.

In Spurrier's first season he went to Tennessee and got blown out 45-3. Tennessee scored 38 points in the 2nd half. He lost the season finale when FSU put 45 points on the scoreboard. Spurrier lost 2 of 3 games against ranked opponents. Sound familiar?

Florida played Notre Dame in the 1992 Sugar Bowl. That season Notre Dame was widely seen as a team that did not deserve to be in the Sugar Bowl. The game is also known as "The Cheerios Bowl", due to the comment a waiter supposedly told Lou Holtz at a restaurant that "The difference between Cheerios and Notre Dame is that Cheerios belong in a bowl". The Gators were heavily favored. In the fourth quarter, Czyzewski's fifth field goal of the game (in other words, we couldn't score TDs) gave the Gators a 22–17 lead with just 13:45 remaining. Then Jerome Bettis ran the ball down our throats. We had no answer. Notre Dame won in a shocker 39-28.

In 1992, Spurrier's 3rd season, the Gators lost to Tennessee 31-14 and the next week lost to Mississippi State 30-6. That team also lost to FSU 45-24 in a game where Spurrier conceded defeat and pulled his starting QB in the 3rd quarter.

I'm not saying Mac is the next Spurrier, but people forget the real history.

The 45-3 beating in Knoxville was the day I became a Gator fan! I'll never forget seeing the orange and blue for the first time. I was 12 years old and my dad got free tickets to a it football game. My dad told me all about Spurrier on the way to the game. How he grew up about 20 min from where I was born, won the Heisman trophy, loved to throw it all over. I didn't care what the score was that day. I yelled and cheered for the Gators in the middle of Neyland stadium w' all those blaze orange rednecks starring me down. Wow great memories w' my dad!

Go Gators!!!

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Spurrier also didn't go to the wire w/ a 3-9 homecoming opponent. He also didn't struggle to put points on the board vs. the also-rans on our schedule (UMass, FAU, Vandy, Kentucky, etc).

I agree with your sentiment. Once again, I'm not saying Mac is Spurrier. My point is that people tend to remember all the high points with Spurrier and forget the lows.

In his first couple of seasons Spurrier did indeed struggle to put points on the board against lesser teams. People have just forgotten those games.

1990 Furman (9-4) @ Gainesville, the Gators won 27-3
1992 Southern Miss (7-4) @ Gainesville, the Gators won 24-20
1992 South Carolina (5-6) @ Gainesville, the Gators won 14-9

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I agree with your sentiment. Once again, I'm not saying Mac is Spurrier. My point is that people tend to remember all the high points with Spurrier and forget the lows.

In his first couple of seasons Spurrier did indeed struggle to put points on the board against lesser teams. People have just forgotten those games.

1992 was the third year. Spurrier had already established himself as an SEC Championship coach (twice, w/ only one counting). The 1992 team was Spurrier's worst team at UF - by far. Southern Miss was a hell of a team back then, in fact our 1997 team struggled w/ them.....and all you could find besides those 92 scores was Furman? Sure, I guess you're right. He struggled a game or two vs. also ran's (rather than struggling consistently). You're comparing apples and oranges and there's really no sense in having this discussion any further (at least between you and I).

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
1992 was the third year. Spurrier had already established himself as an SEC Championship coach (twice, w/ only one counting). The 1992 team was Spurrier's worst team at UF - by far. Southern Miss was a hell of a team back then, in fact our 1997 team struggled w/ them.....and all you could find besides those 92 scores was Furman? Sure, I guess you're right. He struggled a game or two vs. also ran's (rather than struggling consistently). You're comparing apples and oranges and there's really no sense in having this discussion any further (at least between you and I).

LOL, a little sensitive are we?

There were more games where Spurrier struggled against lesser teams. I was only talking about his early years.

People tend to forget we almost lost to Vandy (0-8 in the SEC) in 1996.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
'91 game vs Syracuse we got embarrassed. And let's not forget the Sugar bowl that year versus ND. Both teams were ranked more then 10 spots lower than us.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
@Marianna-FL_Gator
I have to say thanks for the abundance of cool insider info. Chatter has become my go to place for UF football news due to some great info members such as yourself provide.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Jeff Bower was a damn good coach fyi.

Yeah SOS was terrible. My god. We'll do anything to prop Mac up. Wtf?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah SOS was terrible. My god. We'll do anything to prop Mac up. Wtf?

And you'll do anything to knock him down, so what's the difference? He never said SOS was terrible, nor did he come anywhere close to insinuating it. All he said was that SOS struggled at times against lesser opponents also. Hell, even Saban has struggled against lesser opponents at times. It happens, but you dumpers want to act like only Mac could have a bad game against lesser teams. Nothing could be further from the truth. All coaches have bad games against lesser teams, but few coaches were left the mess Mac was left with. Fact!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
And you'll do anything to knock him down, so what's the difference? He never said SOS was terrible, nor did he come anywhere close to insinuating it. All he said was that SOS struggled at times against lesser opponents also. Hell, even Saban has struggled against lesser opponents at times. It happens, but you dumpers want to act like only Mac could have a bad game against lesser teams. Nothing could be further from the truth. All coaches have bad games against lesser teams, but few coaches were left the mess Mac was left with. Fact!

No. It's just stupid to mention Mac in the same breath as SOS or Saban or any HOF coach. Ok?

STOP making f ing excuses for him. Let him stand on his own for god's sake. I'm not even putting him down. I have given him a ton of kudos for his recruiting. WHat more do you f ing want?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No. It's just stupid to mention Mac in the same breath as SOS or Saban or any HOF coach. Ok?

STOP making f ing excuses for him. Let him stand on his own for god's sake. I'm not even putting him down. I have given him a ton of kudos for his recruiting. WHat more do you f ing want?

Who's making excuses? All he's doing is pointing out SOS also struggled at times. JFC you'll go out of your way to knock anybody down who dares to bring up historical facts that don't fit your narrative. You're becoming pathetic.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Who's making excuses? All he's doing is pointing out SOS also struggled at times. JFC you'll go out of your way to knock anybody down who dares to bring up historical facts that don't fit your narrative. You're becoming pathetic.

I've been nothing but complimentary of the man's recruiting. The next step is to win some big games starting with Mich. I've said a million times I'll be the first one to sing his praises when he starts winning.

For a group of supposed "pumpers" some of you are real azzholes as people. Weird.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What's changed is me. I can actually admit when something is going right versus vomiting excuse after excuse after excuse when something is going poorly. Mac and Co have done a great job on the trail in 2017. Hell, someone even commented on my positive attitude. It takes a sh!thead pumper to bring me down to this. Pretty f ing sad.

I think some pumpers need to be reclassified.

I'm pretty sure someone needs a mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator