The top scoring play-callers over the last 4 years

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Chart-The-top-scoring-playcallers-over-the-last-4-years

Anyone see Doug Nussmeir on this list?? Anyone?? Bueller?????

Chart: The top scoring play-callers over the last 4 years

Top%20scoring%20play-callers%202013-16.png

Some takeaways:

- 11 of these 20 play-callers are head coaches: Montgomery, Brown, Frost, Holtz, Kingsbury, Fisher, Bobo, Candle, Petrino, Leach and Freeze. For Candle and Frost, only the past year of play-calling was as a head coach.

- Lane Kiffin became FAU head coach this offseason, but will have Kendal Briles call the plays. Brian Daboll takes over the Alabama offense.

- Jeff Brohm became Purdue head coach this offseason, but will continue to call plays. Mike Sanford is the new WKU head coach, and Junior Adams will call plays.

- Doug Meacham went from TCU to Kansas this offseason, still in the offensive play-caller role. Sonny Cumbie will take over the play-calling at TCU.

- Freeze had given more play-calling to Dan Werner, and new Ole Miss OC Phil Longo will have full play-calling duties in 2017.

- This list doesn’t include two-year play-callers like Ed Warinner and Major Applewhite, nor Gus Malzahn after giving that up to Rhett Lashlee during last season.

- Notable schools not on this due to multiple play-callers over four years include Ohio State (41.4 ppg), Boise State (37.5), Arizona State (36.1) and North Carolina (34.7).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Skips Holtz offense at USF was a disaster, but I guess he wasn't calling plays.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Great post! Now, who would/should we cherry-pick from this list?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Would love to see the bottom list with years and current disposition...I bet most are out of work or TE coaches.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Would love to see the bottom list with years and current disposition...I bet most are out of work or TE coaches.
One is standing proud.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeff Brohm is my favorite on that list but man he had a bad DC and defense.

Alot of Petrino/Leach types. Im not a fan of that version of the spread. Doesnt work in the SEC.

I guess at this point even a mediocre OC would be a massive improvement. Or even a bad OC who could at least recruit. Having fallen from 100th under Chimp to 115th for Nuss, we are officially the bottom of the barrel, even looking up at Chimp. Literally no way to go but up.

Last edited:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Common trend on the list is that the none of those teams sans Alabama and FSU had a defense thus the need to score points...

Really wish we utilized more of a "Baylor" type offense that focuses on running between the tackles with a downfield passing attack.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Frost, Montgomery, Brohm are going to be rich men.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Common trend on the list is that the none of those teams sans Alabama and FSU had a defense thus the need to score points...

Really wish we utilized more of a "Baylor" type offense that focuses on running between the tackles with a downfield passing attack.

And most of the team play in conferences that don't play defense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alot of Petrino/Leach types. Im not a fan of that version of the spread. Doesnt work in the SEC.
I think it can work in the SEC if you have enough talent on defense. Petrino did well at Arky but couldn't bring in the defensive horses to keep from getting pounded in the gut by the heavyweights. As much as don't like him I'd take him in a heartbeat after the last 7 or 8 years.....Leach I'm not so sure of.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think it can work in the SEC if you have enough talent on defense. Petrino did well at Arky but couldn't bring in the defensive horses to keep from getting pounded in the gut by the heavyweights. As much as don't like him I'd take him in a heartbeat after the last 7 or 8 years.....Leach I'm not so sure of.....

I think ANY offense can work in the SEC....you just need the right talent. Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier both ran offenses that "will never work in the SEC".

This whole "SEC" beating our chests thing is sooooo 10 years ago. The SEC is NOT the best CFB conference anymore. Accept it, because it is what it is.

These offenses, no matter what kind of defense they are playing, still have to execute and score. Our badass SEC offense put up a whopping 24 vs. UMass last year....it was 10-7 going into the 4th quarter. Is UMass' D SEC caliber?? Don't give me the "SEC" defenses crap.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Okay Spicer :lol2:

Dude, we can have this pissing contest all you want. The SEC is ho-hum. Has been for a few years now. Outside of Alabama, you have a bunch of mediocre football teams. Who's the 2nd best SEC team? When you "line them up" you have Will Muschamp and South Carolina, you have Vandy, you have 5-7 Ole Miss, you have Dan Mullen barely hanging on, you have Kevin Sumlin on the hot seat, you have Butch Jones' team giving up 40+ points per game, you have Ed Orgeron (say that again, ED ORGERON!!) as the head coach of LSU! You have Kentucky! You have 8-4 UGA, you have Gus Malzahn on the hot seat at Auburn if he doesn't win this year......and down in Gainesville, you have Jimmy Mac getting blown out 8 times in two years. But yeah, the SEC is a BEAST!!!!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, we can have this pissing contest all you want.
it was just a question.
I'm truly sorry that you were so offended by it.

The SEC is ho-hum. Has been for a few years now. Outside of Alabama, you have a bunch of mediocre football teams. Who's the 2nd best SEC team? When you "line them up" you have Will Muschamp and South Carolina, you have Vandy, you have 5-7 Ole Miss, you have Dan Mullen barely hanging on, you have Kevin Sumlin on the hot seat, you have Butch Jones' team giving up 40+ points per game, you have Ed Orgeron (say that again, ED ORGERON!!) as the head coach of LSU! You have Kentucky! You have 8-4 UGA, you have Gus Malzahn on the hot seat at Auburn if he doesn't win this year......and down in Gainesville, you have Jimmy Mac getting blown out 8 times in two years. But yeah, the SEC is a BEAST!!!!
I didn't say the sec is a beast, you seem angry this morning...you alright bro?
All I asked is who is better from top to bottom. Didn't think that was a crazy question :lol2:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
it was just a question.
I'm truly sorry that you were so offended by it.

I didn't say the sec is a beast, you seem angry this morning...you alright bro?
All I asked is who is better from top to bottom. Didn't think that was a crazy question :lol2:[/QU

Not angry. I just think SEC homers are uneducated college football fans.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.