This may explain why Mac has trouble landing elite QBs

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Is a Rivals 4* and National No. 3 pro-style quarterback (Franks) not an elite recruit?
We won't know until he sees the field. He obviously wasn't elite enough to surpass LDR or Appleby in his first year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We won't know until he sees the field. He obviously wasn't elite enough to surpass LDR or Appleby in his first year.
Or make some of the throws required in butters pedestrian offense despite having a "cannon" for an arm and a year in the system.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Or make some of the throws required in butters pedestrian offense despite having a "cannon" for an arm and a year in the system.

The questions was was Franks an elite recruit. That has nothing to do with what kind of player he turns out to be.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The questions was was Franks an elite recruit. That has nothing to do with what kind of player he turns out to be.
I'll never consider anyone "elite" until they take the field. Highly rated? Yep.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I have no beef with anyone. Just stating an opinion.

You have a slight beef about terminology. You claim no recruit is elite. I can understand that view, but then it is impossible for you to criticize McElwain for not signing an elite QB.

Personally I am with you in only caring that McElwain get UF good QB play finally, I frankly I do not care how he does it within the rules. He can get a good grad transfer. He can get someone already on the roster ready that he did not sign. He can develop a walkon. He can develop a two star recruit. He can develop a 4 star number 3 pro-style QB signee.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
can't help but think...... :deadhorse:

:couch:

Sep 29, 2015
I'll never consider anyone "elite" until they take the field. Highly rated? Yep.

If what happens after they take the field is what matters in Omar's post (for purposes of his post, it clearly doesn't), then the argument would still be wrong. Garrett Grayson was taken in the third round of the NFL draft on the strength of what he did after he took the field. AJ McCarron won a NC (in which game he made some decisive and critical big time throws IIRC) and was drafted in the 5th round, and it looks like it will take a 2nd or 3rd rounder right now to get him from the Bengals.

Like you, I don't really care about the stars as long as they perform on the field, which none of his QBs have done at anywhere close to an elite level since he got here, save for Grier's six quarter peak. But Mac has shown as recently as last year that he can recruit an elite QB (as Rivals goes) and in the past he has coached up QBs to win a NC and get drafted into the NFL, if not to elite levels.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm sorry but who actually recruited their transition year class. Basically they're locking down whoever the previous coach was recruiting. Second year you've got a freshman QB. How often does a true frosh QB get a start? So look at third year and beyond:

Alabama 2010-12 - McElroy was good enough to win a NC in 2009 so he's not losing his starting job. And he wins a NC in 2011. McCarron (Mac's recruit) wins a NC in 2012.
Colorado ST 2014 - Grayson was a 4th year Sr. Is he going to get beat out by a freshman? At Colorado State?

That's 2 NC's in four seasons. :dunno:

Florida 2015: Mac didn't recruit either of the train wrecks; Grier or Harris.
Florida 2016: The Fraski redshirt. SOP.

If anybody is twisting things it's Omar the troll.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You need to be able excite people, make them imagine what could be. Mac's an incremental manager. All we have to lose is time.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I know that most people fall victim to confirmation bias, but I honestly don't see how people can't see the flaw in the OP.

ThreatMatrix covered most of it, but it bears repeating.

McElwain was at Fresno State for a single season. One. When McElwain arrived in Fresno returning starting QB Brandstater was a junior. Brandstater was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the 6th round.

McElwain was at Alabama for 4 seasons. In his second season at Alabama McElwain brought in A.J. McCarron. McCarron was good enough to grab the starting job and take the Tide to two national championships. McCarron became the first QB to ever win back to back BCS National Championships, broke the school record for TD passes in a season and passing yards in a season and became Alabama's all time passing yards leader.

At Colorado State McElwain inherited sophomore Garrett Grayson. In the three seasons Mac was at CSU Grayson threw for 8,648 yards with 62 TDs and 21 INTs. Grayson was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the third round.

In his second year at Florida Mac signed the 5th ranked pro style QB.

Mac coached a QB that was drafted by the Broncos, a QB that won 2 NCs and was drafted by Cincinnati and a QB that was drafted by the Saints. Then he came to the Gators and there was zero depth at the QB position so he brought in the 5th ranked QB in the nation.

So everywhere Mac has gone he inherited a starting QB that has excelled in Mac's system and been drafted by the NFL and somehow that shows that Mac can't recruit. Except for that one time he did need a QB and he brought in a record breaker who won multiple NCs. However, the original premise states that you can only count the times when there was an established starter and you can't count the one time he needed a QB and hit a home run.

The original premise is that if you land a job that already has an established QB that is somehow proof that you can't recruit. The premise is so flawed it's laughable.

I understand those who doubt. There is no evidence that Mac can recruit his own QB. However, this is not evidence that he can't recruit QBs. The flaw in the original premise is simple to see.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have a very strong feeling that 2222 will NOT be in the top ten when the new "like" rankings come out.

Dude is bordering on coach territory.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Truth hurts......

Negators!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He's recruited Franks. Lets see how this thing plays out. If LDR starts the Meatchicken game, probably some validity to this. I have also been one to say I think that Nussy is more of the problem for Mac than anything else.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure the offensive coordinator can be called the problem if the head coach isn't aware that the offensive coordinator is the problem.

Inforthelongterm

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2016
Pick a thread, and in any of them you guys are the most negative bunch I've ever come across. I visited this board every day (hell, I even gave money) when it started, but the negativity has completely pushed me away. I might drop by once a week now, and with every visit I am reminded of why I left. You guys are worse than CNN with your negative bias.

This place is quickly finding its spot at the bottom... right beside the GatorSports board. Soon, all that will be left here is a couple of crusty old bastards spewing negativity at each other, just like over at the board that I had hoped this one had replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.