This may explain why Mac has trouble landing elite QBs

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I know that most people fall victim to confirmation bias, but I honestly don't see how people can't see the flaw in the OP.

ThreatMatrix covered most of it, but it bears repeating.

McElwain was at Fresno State for a single season. One. When McElwain arrived in Fresno returning starting QB Brandstater was a junior. Brandstater was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the 6th round.

McElwain was at Alabama for 4 seasons. In his second season at Alabama McElwain brought in A.J. McCarron. McCarron was good enough to grab the starting job and take the Tide to two national championships. McCarron became the first QB to ever win back to back BCS National Championships, broke the school record for TD passes in a season and passing yards in a season and became Alabama's all time passing yards leader.

At Colorado State McElwain inherited sophomore Garrett Grayson. In the three seasons Mac was at CSU Grayson threw for 8,648 yards with 62 TDs and 21 INTs. Grayson was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the third round.

In his second year at Florida Mac signed the 5th ranked pro style QB.

Mac coached a QB that was drafted by the Broncos, a QB that won 2 NCs and was drafted by Cincinnati and a QB that was drafted by the Saints. Then he came to the Gators and there was zero depth at the QB position so he brought in the 5th ranked QB in the nation.

So everywhere Mac has gone he inherited a starting QB that has excelled in Mac's system and been drafted by the NFL and somehow that shows that Mac can't recruit. Except for that one time he did need a QB and he brought in a record breaker who won multiple NCs. However, the original premise states that you can only count the times when there was an established starter and you can't count the one time he needed a QB and hit a home run.

The original premise is that if you land a job that already has an established QB that is somehow proof that you can't recruit. The premise is so flawed it's laughable.

I understand those who doubt. There is no evidence that Mac can recruit his own QB. However, this is not evidence that he can't recruit QBs. The flaw in the original premise is simple to see.
dos-equis-most-interesting-guy-in-the-world-300x300.jpeg

I don't always post a 3 page dissertation... oh wait, yes I do...

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
and yet, this board keeps growing...

:nole:

He's stretching things a tad bit, kinda like feminists, but he also has a valid point. Negativity does seem to be a growing theme around here. It's one thing to be skeptical based on observation. It's an entirely different thing to constantly EXPECT bad results and even hope for them so we can fire our coach. There's nothing wrong with remaining "hopeful" until the AD fires our coach when he deems it's appropriate. Believe it or not, most Gator fans want our Gators to be successful, no matter who the coach is. Even when our coach makes mistakes, we "hope" he can learn from them and get better at his job so we can win more. The theme on this board doesn't represent the true majority imo.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He's stretching things a tad bit, kinda like feminists, but he also has a valid point. Negativity does seem to be a growing theme around here. It's one thing to be skeptical based on observation. It's an entirely different thing to constantly EXPECT bad results and even hope for them so we can fire our coach. There's nothing wrong with remaining "hopeful" until the AD fires our coach when he deems it's appropriate. Believe it or not, most Gator fans want our Gators to be successful, no matter who the coach is. Even when our coach makes mistakes, we "hope" he can learn from them and get better at his job so we can win more. The theme on this board doesn't represent the true majority imo.

I think it is way better than before(including myself). There's negativity on all the main Gator sites btw. No where is immune(even Swamp Ass).

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think your stretching things a bit too Nav. I've never seen anyone hope for failure, not even the super negators like rex and ferg. I do however see a lot of people who believe the writing is on the wall, I'm fairly inclined to agree although I haven't given up hope completely (probably 70% at this point). I dont think stating that most of us want to succeed is something that needs to be stated, let alone believed, its a given brother. That's not the issue at all.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can see some complaining about GatChat lately complaining about complaining about complaining over complainers redundantly complaining when what we need is more or less just the reverse of everything.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Others would say that Grier only had 5 good quarters and was too much of a problem to keep around:headslap:.....Meanwhile WVU is picked to win 10 plus games next season with hardly any returning starters on defense.....I wonder why...

they play in a conference with no defense... I know Crete you man love for Grier knows no bounds... next you will say Big 12/10 conferences defenses are on par with SEC defenses.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
they play in a conference with no defense... I know Crete you man love for Grier knows no bounds... next you will say Big 12/10 conferences defenses are on par with SEC defenses.
Well Grier did light up the few SEC defenses that he got to play against....but I'm sure we'll be better off with either Trask or the color blind guy, Franks.....right?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well Grier did light up the few SEC defenses that he got to play against....but I'm sure we'll be better off with either Trask or the color blind guy, Franks.....right?

Yes, he lit up Missouri... and he did lit up the 108 ranked Ole Miss defense.... I guess facts don't help your case now do that, with that argument. I have previously broken down every pass defense we played against in 2015 for you, and you conceded that point then. Do I need to do it again, or is your argument that Grier played the killers row of Defenses? Missouri was the best pass defense he played, and how well did he play?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, he lit up Missouri... and he did lit up the 108 ranked Ole Miss defense.... I guess facts don't help your case now do that, with that argument. I have previously broken down every pass defense we played against in 2015 for you, and you conceded that point then. Do I need to do it again, or is your argument that Grier played the killers row of Defenses? Missouri was the best pass defense he played, and how well did he play?
You do realize he was a redshirt freshmen playing behind the worst offensive line in the history of modern CFB and only 1 decent WR to work with right? He was also in his second system in less than 2 years....And Nuss was coaching him...right??

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You do realize he was a redshirt freshmen playing behind the worst offensive line in the history of modern CFB and only 1 decent WR to work with right? He was also in his second system in less than 2 years....And Nuss was coaching him...right??

Have you asked Will to marry you yet?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

So now you have excuses... Ok... but, but Grier is all world according to you. So the fact that he will be in WVU wide open no defense system, isn't going to inflate his numbers at all (see Geno Smith). But yes, playing at UF and against SEC competition is the EXACT same as your argument suggests as playing at WVU against Big 12 "defenses". Lets not let facts get in the way of your story.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So now you have excuses... Ok... but, but Grier is all world according to you. So the fact that he will be in WVU wide open no defense system, isn't going to inflate his numbers at all (see Geno Smith). But yes, playing at UF and against SEC competition is the EXACT same as your argument suggests as playing at WVU against Big 12 "defenses". Lets not let facts get in the way of your story.
I didn't say he was All World....He's a helluva lot better than anything we've had around here for a while though. Seems a lot of outsider experts agree that he's going to be pretty good up there too. Talent is talent...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't say he was All World....He's a helluva lot better than anything we've had around here for a while though. Seems a lot of outsider experts agree that he's going to be pretty good up there too. Talent is talent...

No on has argued his talent, we don't know if he is a head case or not. But he was marginalized by the two best pass defenses he faced, Kentucky (benched after 13-22 125 1 int 0 td) 24th ranked pass defense and Missouri (20-33 208 0 int 0 td) 8th pass defense. Neither game were impressive. It not like he had a Redshirt Freshman start like Wuerfell (better competition) or Grossman (better competition). Dude got benched against ECU and Kentucky. Was he better than Harris or LDR, yep... no one has argued that. Was he dependable, and did he throw passes against those lower teams that would have been picks by LSU, FSU, and Michigan without a doubt. He is an athletically gifted kid, whose head wasn't on straight. Does that mean we have completely $hit the bed because he isn't here, don't know. Would he be God's gift to quarterbacking as you continually suggest, doubt it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Do you think he wins 10 games with the 80th ranked defense like happened last season there?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll revisit this thread after the season is done. I'm not convinced he hasn't recruited an elite QB yet. We'll see how Frask does this year before I'm willing to call either of them "non-elite".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't say he was All World....He's a helluva lot better than anything we've had around here for a while though.
Yes! We agree he had the most potential. But he didnt light up the SEC.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
My pitchfork and torch have been located. I'm putting them within easy reach, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator