Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Whats up with all the long post in this thread?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n288464 said:
200.gif

Seems like there's an impasse. Either KT is bad and the OL is good, OR the other way around. My money is on the OL playing three true frosh and a D-3 transfer.

You are the only one making this an all or nothing. No one is saying he is awful, just no one is saying that he would be ALL SEC or ALL American if the oline was average. You can't blame his production solely on the offensive line, which is the argument you are making.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, we have 3 true freshman OL rotating in but they are damn good. I'd say that's a plus to our OL, not a negative.

Again, if you put Fournette or Chub behind our same OL, they'd still be killing it.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n288388 said:
Before reading replies, I'd have called KT 'solid, not great'. I'm not sure he would be great even if we had an OL that could open holes for him, which we do not. But he's been doing everything he's been asked, to the best of his ability - catches in the flat for a loss, blocking since the freshman must not be able to do it, and running all downs in the last game and most in the KY game (why is that? Give the young guys more chances, IMO). Bottom line, he's in a better situation than last year with the staff and QB we had then...but it is still a bad situation and he's doing what he can. For me, that's all I can ask - perform to the best of your ability, because he's the best we've got at this point, even if that isn't up to the level we'd have hoped for.

After reading the replies, I fully agree with Dude that Mark Thompson is going to be an improvement. Next year our running game overall will be better. Part of it will be a year of our OL getting it together and adding some more players into the rotation. Part of it will be the Jordan's having a year of coaching under their belt and a hunger to play after getting limited snaps this year. I don't know if KT will be back next year - most predicted he'd go pro early, but maybe not now that he's not putting up NFL numbers (again, not fully on him, but he still isn't showing NFL level of ability, and he could be sitting a few rounds behind Chubb and possibly Fournette in the draft). KT stays or goes, won't matter a whole lot to me as I'm sure we'll be much better in the run game. If he stays, the starting role isn't a lock, he'll be pushed for it, which is a good thing.

This year, I'm pleased with what we're getting from him. Next year, our running game will be better, with or without him.

This is the correct answer. Congratulations TLB.

Oct 5, 2014
He is our best RB and I am glad we have him. Unfortunately for him, he does not have the power or the break-away speed required for an NFL contract.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have major gripes with him. I liked the way the rewind video was field level to show just what he's doing. He's good and appears to be getting better if he stays on this track. Of course, the O line improving will help everything.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Left Coast Gator;n288574 said:
He is our best RB and I am glad we have him. Unfortunately for him, he does not have the power or the break-away speed required for an NFL contract.
He has a very good shot at playing in the NFL. He has good vision and balance and decent (not great) power. He's also legacy. The NFL chews up and spits out RB faster than any position so there is always a need.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The OL is dung at the moment and he often be to make one or two guys miss before he even makes it back to scrimmage. He is doing very well. He is very solid in picking up the blitz and has learned to catch passes. Given that Scarlett fumbles every three plays and neither freshman back can block, its obvious who should be getting the carries. Once he gets hurt, and he probably will, you toolbags will see. I realize some of you have next to zero football knowledge, so I won't unload on you further.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
TheBigClaw;n288387 said:
Taylor is a pretty decent tailback. If he had the line fournette had right now he'd prolly be averaging a good bit per carry as well. He's not impressed me all that much but he runs hard and pass blocks well and hasn't really fumbled at all.

You could give him Fournette's jersey and some purple and gold underwear and he's still no where the back that guy is .

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unless the line really improves quickly I doubt we have a RB averaging over 5 yards a carry which was standard practice years ago. Trying to think how many RBs have averaged over 5 yards a carry with a lot of touches in recent years - maybe the smurfs because they had a bunch of long runs to boost the average up there a lot. I don't even think Gilly with that good year in 2012 averaged 5 yards a carry.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n288523 said:
Yes, we have 3 true freshman OL rotating in but they are damn good. I'd say that's a plus to our OL, not a negative.

Again, if you put Fournette or Chub behind our same OL, they'd still be killing it.
I changed my mind.

You have to search hard to find a single play, other than the 3 man rushes, when there wasn't at least on DL in the backfield. There is no way to spin that into anything other than a shyt sandwich OL. Not their fault with all the freshmen (even Sharpe should have redshirted and be a freshman) but it's insanity to claim they are anything shirt of the worst OL I have seen on a major college football team.

It would help if we werent so predictable but there is a reason we are emphasizing the quick passing game and not doing much of the power running that was Mac and Nusschamp's calling card. There just isnt room between the tackles.

I agree he may not be a truly elite back, but he is solid. Frankly his father wasn't elite until his senior year either. Terry Jackson seemed to be the more complete back and Eli Williams split time with them both.

When he is off the field we generally are running the ball BC Scarlett and Crunk can't handle anything else yet. Also notice that Jake disappears when KT is out? That is BC they keep him in pass pro to help the freshmen backs. When Taylor gets hurt, you disbelievers will see the difference.

BTW I like both JS and Crunk, its just hard for freshmen backs to be ready for the other parts of the game. KT wasn't ready as a Fr or So either.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The funny thing is so far the line didn't look too terrible pass blocking on many plays but then again maybe the D lines they were facing weren't that great. Ole Miss will really tell us the story there with the D line they have.

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I call him "Little Fred" for a reason. While he shows a bit of the same instincts and moves his father had, he's nowhere as big nor powerful as his dad was. He's listed at 5'10", so he's probably only 5'8". IMO, he won't be the star his dad was, but he won't be a bust, either.

At this point, I'd rather have him than not have him, he's a reliable back (takes care of the ball), and will improve along with the O-line's improvement. Plus, he's a legacy Gator, and after his little "incident", he's shown contrition and an understanding of his role on the team. The way Mac handled his little episode of gross stupidity likely will turn him into an important team leader in the future. Which may not translate into awesome individual stats, it's still an extremely important role for the team, in the overall picture. Loyal, teachable, reliable, team-oriented, willing to do the work. It's all good.

Color me a fan of Little Fred. And who knows, he may even surprise the hell out of us all.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n288639 said:
Unless the line really improves quickly I doubt we have a RB averaging over 5 yards a carry which was standard practice years ago. Trying to think how many RBs have averaged over 5 yards a carry with a lot of touches in recent years - maybe the smurfs because they had a bunch of long runs to boost the average up there a lot. I don't even think Gilly with that good year in 2012 averaged 5 yards a carry.

according to the stats Gilly averaged 4.7 a carry back in 12. If you count all of his carries in his career though he averaged around 6 per carry. Definitely the best back we've had the last 5 years or so

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheBigClaw;n288717 said:
according to the stats Gilly averaged 4.7 a carry back in 12. If you count all of his carries in his career though he averaged around 6 per carry. Definitely the best back we've had the last 5 years or so

I agree Gilly was the best back in more recent years in 2012 probably - especially with everyone knowing he was going to get the ball.

Seka

Apr 19, 2015
BMF;n288361 said:
What is the consensus on KT around here?

I think the kid is extremely overrated (at this point) and unimpressive. I'm hoping as the year moves forward he improves and shows that he's a better RB than he's shown on the field. His 4.2 yard average is extremely unimpressive considering half his games have been against ECU and New Mexico State. Throw out the 47 yard gain vs. UT and he had 18 carries for 55 yards. If his 2 backups weren't true freshman he'd likely be the #2 RB right now. He seems to block well and not fumble, which is good...but as a primary SEC RB he leaves a lot to be desired. Would it be safe to say he's not even a top-10 SEC RB right now?

I'm hoping he has a good week vs. Ole Miss, because we're going to need it to keep pressure off the QB. I also hope we see one of the freshman get some carries and playing time.

Agree + gizillion.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he is still learning but I think he will be in the Heisman conversation later on this year and definitely in contention next year and maybe even a Heisman frontrunner!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Jbossgator8;n288823 said:
I think he is still learning but I think he will be in the Heisman conversation later on this year and definitely in contention next year and maybe even a Heisman frontrunner!

:britney:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe he is talking about Grier?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Jbossgator8;n288823 said:

This is comical. I guess Fournette and Chubb are leaving after their sophmore years.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator