Thoughts on Kelvin Taylor

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not sure you can be overrated when no one really thinks he is rated. His blocking skills have improved, but as a runner he is what I have said for years about that position. RB's are a dime a dozen. There are very few special RB's and all the zillion others are indistinguishable. KT running skills are nothing special. In fact I think he has below average vision, which curtails his abilities. He is very serviceable college RB and at this time not NFL material.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n290866 said:
Not sure you can be overrated when no one really thinks he is rated. His blocking skills have improved, but as a runner he is what I have said for years about that position. RB's are a dime a dozen. There are very few special RB's and all the zillion others are indistinguishable. KT running skills are nothing special. In fact I think he has below average vision, which curtails his abilities. He is very serviceable college RB and at this time not NFL material.

This reminds me of comments made about Matt Jones. Time will tell...

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Unless injured he will go top 4 rounds next year. I dong think he sticks around with the Jordan's on his heels.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n290629 said:
He grinded out some tough yards last night. I wish they would get him involved in the passing game a little more. That little flare out of the backfield has been open all year.

I think he is needed more as an extra blocker. that is one area of his game that has really improved this year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
10 years ago he would be a top 3 round pick, due to the devaluation of the running back position I could see him anywhere from a 2nd round to a 6th rounder. He will be drafted and I believe he will be on a teams 53 man roster regardless if he leaves this year or next.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n291437 said:
Unless injured he will go top 4 rounds next year. I dong think he sticks around with the Jordan's on his heels.

... a Freudian slip that women's lib will love.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n290581 said:
27 carries 83 yds. 3.1 yds per carry tonight. He's not lighting it up, but is enough of a credible running threat to give us a balanced attack.

Hard running with an OLine still not great a run blocking against a top defense. The D was focused on stopping the run and making us pass and Kelvin ran great IMO. He seemed to break the first tackle almost every time.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I just wanted to comment on what I saw in this game, which others have noted - KT is giving himself up for the team on pass protection. I saw instances where he threw himself across the pocket trying to at least chip the pass rush before it got to WG. Whatever KT can do to keep our running game a consideration for the defense, I'm all for it. But his blocking is definitely showing in the game, and I for one appreciate him for it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Law98gator;n290685 said:
I hope he waits for a chance to run behind the line once they get stronger. Id like to see the difference of what those guys look like next year and see him running with actual holes to hit.

As it is, he is doing a great job holding the ball, making people miss (in the backfield unfortunately)/and getting what he can with very lil daylight. He has become an absolute beast in.pass pro. Given that he was poor last year, this shows effort, prep and willpower.
:Gotta agree with Law. KT is doing all the things we need from him.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
As much as we're praising him, he still isn't perfect or up to what he could be even. It was mentioned elsewhere, and I went back to check, and on the first TD throw to DRob there was a whiff of a block on the guy that was crashing on WG. Pre-snap, it appears KT is asking WG for clarification on where he is supposed to go. Once the ball is snapped KT runs right past the defender, leaving the center to be overwhelmed and beaten. It's not even like KT was going out for a short dump pass, he stopped right where the block (even chipping the guy would have helped) was supposed to be done.

Still liking KT, but there are thing on film to work on.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TLB;n293556 said:
As much as we're praising him, he still isn't perfect or up to what he could be even. It was mentioned elsewhere, and I went back to check, and on the first TD throw to DRob there was a whiff of a block on the guy that was crashing on WG. Pre-snap, it appears KT is asking WG for clarification on where he is supposed to go. Once the ball is snapped KT runs right past the defender, leaving the center to be overwhelmed and beaten. It's not even like KT was going out for a short dump pass, he stopped right where the block (even chipping the guy would have helped) was supposed to be done.

Still liking KT, but there are thing on film to work on.
Like mentioned earlier, he's solid but far from outstanding so far. He's getting almost all the carries now and not making many negative plays and securing the ball, which are both critical. His blocking is definitely a strength even if he misses one once in awhile like the one you point out. But his production leaves a lot to be desired. As a team we are 3rd to last total rushing yards. Kelvin is 10th in total rushing yards, and damn near last in yards per carry less at less than 4 yards per. These numbers need to go up to take some pressure off our RS Freshman QB going forward.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n293659 said:
These numbers need to go up to take some pressure off our RS Freshman QB going forward.

It's entirely possible that BECAUSE our RS Freshman QB has been playing lights out, our running game may become more productive. SOS used to set up the run with the passing game. Worked for him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is the only back who can be trusted at the moment. As much as I like Crunk, it's the simple truth.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n295043 said:
He is the only back who can be trusted at the moment. As much as I like Crunk, it's the simple truth.

yup, putting that ball on the ground scares the crap out of me.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think KT ran hard and made some OUTSTANDING cuts for big gains tonight. He simply doesn't have any holes to run through with this line right now. I just got done watching that abortion of a game with Miamuh and the clowns, and Cook gets untouched into the second level so many times its frustrating.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We will get there. It's remarkable what we are doing with 2-3 true freshman and a lower division transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator