Tonight's impact on the rest of the season?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think the Bama game it could possibly have an effect. With a new style of offense you want all the reps you can get prior to playing a top team like that. If it was rescheduled prior to Georgia I don't think it hurts us in reality as long as we don't pick up any injuries during the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we will replay it unless it looks like we will be 5-6 and need the win.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It would be great to play the game say Monday. Most of the issues that folks have mentioned are easy to fix. For example TV, if you can't make it happen just no TV. Hotel accommodations are also pretty easy to take care of.
Travel can be arranged with lease of planes. What will keep it from happening is slowness in decision making.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well if we were to have a short week and play on Monday, now's the time to do it. I am sure the Vandals are back in the land of the spuds.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There should have been a back up plan in place. Today would have been a perfect day to make it up since there are no classes on Monday.....it's a holiday. This at the very least should have been discussed last night during the delay. The sooner they made the decision the sooner the logistics could have been handled. Nascar does this all the time, there would be no problem with TV or police, emergency etc. as they are on a on call basis anyway. THIS IS RIDICOULUS.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Hey look on the bright side if we don't make a bowl again we can just make it up during bowl season.
th

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n38884 said:
There should have been a back up plan in place. Today would have been a perfect day to make it up since there are no classes on Monday.....it's a holiday. This at the very least should have been discussed last night during the delay. The sooner they made the decision the sooner the logistics could have been handled. Nascar does this all the time, there would be no problem with TV or police, emergency etc. as they are on a on call basis anyway. THIS IS RIDICOULUS.

They would still have to staff the stadium. And how would they re-issue tickets to everyone in under 12 hours? Not only that, what if the hotel where Idaho was staying didn't have enough vacancy last night? You would be forcing a group of about 100 people to find hotel accommodations after midnight on Labor Day Saturday. There's a lot that goes into putting on one of these football games, and if the teams share an off week later in the season, the most logical course of action would be to reschedule it that weekend.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
How about Muschamp only needing SEVEN wins now to save his job. Ugh. Gross.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n38997 said:

lol - I think it could actually work against him if we had a bad season and Foley doesn't reschedule the game. 7-4 sounds worse than 8-4.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
T REX;n38997 said:

lol - I think it could actually work against him if we had a bad season and Foley doesn't reschedule the game. 7-4 sounds worse than 8-4.
Foley's reasoning would be simple. If he was going to keep his job at 8-4 then he would keep his job at 7-4. Foley seems to want to give him every break possible.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n38864 said:
I think the Bama game it could possibly have an effect. With a new style of offense you want all the reps you can get prior to playing a top team like that. If it was rescheduled prior to Georgia I don't think it hurts us in reality as long as we don't pick up any injuries during the game.

I don't think it's going to hurt that much in reguards to bama because Idaho isn't going to give us as good look at all.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
T REX;n38997 said:

You may be right.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty much T , of course you know that logical thinking like that is not allowed.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator said:
From what I saw on the one play, I am glad they decided not to play. As a former sports official, these kind of decisions are always very difficult when factoring in all of the people affected by the decision. However, the players come first and the conditions were not safe to start a game. They made the right call. And I say reschedule the game. Bye weeks often do more harm than good and to keep playing, on schedule and in the routine, would be a good thing. Just my two cents...
When Showers went OB, the water that flew up seemed as if Moses was parting the Red Sea. It was a gigantic wave of water. While the chance of being struck by lightning existed, the greater risk was injury to players running around in that slop. It's one thing if it's just a 45 min delay (UF hosting Ohio in 2002, I was there) due to lightning that included a lot of rain, but nearly 3 hours worth? No, it was the right thing to do.

Now as for playing the game on Oct 25, when both schools have bye weeks, and it's the week before UGA. I don't think it's a good idea. What if a good player gets severely injured playing this crap team the week before we play our biggest rival? I understand the need for continuity, but I think the risk outweighs the reward.

BTW, Gatorzone.com reports that no decision will be made for 2 to 3 days, which means probably about Wednesday of this week.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n38820 said:
I highly doubt that NCAA rules prohibit rescheduling a game for the next friggin day.
No, I don't think NCAA rules prohibit it, but after last night, that field is in no condition to be played on today - playing on it today could possibly ruin it for the rest of the home games. And besides, Idaho's expenses would go through the roof, having to stay an additional day that wasn't expected. It's a moot point anyway, they're not playing the game today.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Knox I was responding to the comment about playing the next day, which is why my answer contained only references to the logistics of putting on a football game and have nothing to do with travel at all.I apologize if it was in fact not evident. And yes there are travel rules, now if they are NCAA or school rules that I don't know. I do know for a fact that for the military academies they have 1 day to come home that is, or I should was the rule in the early 80's when I attended VMI, I also have friends who have played at other service academies who were under the same limitations. I also have friends who played at state and private schools who had to be in class on Monday. Now I don't know if that still is in effect or if they've been loosened.I do think that Capn is younger than I and know he played , I believe in D2 so he would have more up to date info than I .
No knock on VMI, but, VMI is not one of the three (four if you count the Coast Guard, who play at some lower division level) US service academies. VMI is a STATE school, like The Citadel or Norwich. I don't know if they run on the same set of rules as USMA at West Point, USNA at Annapolis, and USAFA at Colorado Springs. BTW, I was a US Army ROTC grad of UF and served 4 yrs active, 4 yr reserve, in the Army Engineers, ending up as a CPT.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n38943 said:
They would still have to staff the stadium. And how would they re-issue tickets to everyone in under 12 hours? Not only that, what if the hotel where Idaho was staying didn't have enough vacancy last night? You would be forcing a group of about 100 people to find hotel accommodations after midnight on Labor Day Saturday. There's a lot that goes into putting on one of these football games, and if the teams share an off week later in the season, the most logical course of action would be to reschedule it that weekend.

So everybody has to come back to work the next day. The hotel room situation wouldn't be a big deal either....it's not like gville is somekind of Labor Day hotspot. The tickets would just be honored for todays game. I just don't see it being that hard to do, like I said NASCAR does it probably 8-10 times a year if need be and with them you're talking about 43 teams and equiptment which is a lot more people and logistics than 1 visiting college football team. Easy peasy and we could be watching it today.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n38881 said:
It would be great to play the game say Monday. Most of the issues that folks have mentioned are easy to fix. For example TV, if you can't make it happen just no TV. Hotel accommodations are also pretty easy to take care of. Travel can be arranged with lease of planes. What will keep it from happening is slowness in decision making.
Gatorzone.com is reporting that the decision will be made in two to three days, which means no game today (of course, because we would have heard about it by now), or tomorrow on Labor Day. I'm sure the Vandals have already flown home to Idaho by now (1:28pm EDT). The real issue is whether we'll play them on the bye date of 10/25. Yes, we may need the game (I sure hope not) to become bowl eligible, but do you want to risk injury against IDAHO the week before you play GEORGIA?? I'm betting Foley says no way, but I could be wrong.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n38943 said:
And you forgot one BIG element of whether we'd play today (which we're not, because we would have heard about it by now) - that field is in no condition to be played on today. Doing that could ruin it for the rest of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.