Truth Takes: 2023 Offensive Position Groups

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let me tell you something, truth. I don't always read your shcit. Not because I don't like you but because it's usually too long. But that was pretty freakin good, dude. I agree with every word of it. Nice job

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I've mentioned this before, but we should be favored in each of our first 7 games. Does that really mean we start 7-0, no. But, from a pure team composite talent perspective, we are higher than everyone of our opponents, with Tenrc and S. Car. the closest. Even if we do start 7-0, it will come back to earth, and will feel a great deal like 2012 where we are always holding on by a thread. But, we absolutely should beat the 3 cupcakes (Vandy included), Ky, and S. Car.

Assume utah and vulvs are 50/50 games, which takes some big assumptions for those teams even if we stay as poor as we were last year. First, Utah is likely without their star QB or either impactful TE from last year, and has about a 15-20 spot lower team talent ranking than UF.

The vulvs are almost wholly being boosted off of last year and Hooker. Maybe Milton is amazing, but we will see when he plays in the Swamp. If we beat Utah, the excitement will spiral, even if not truly justified. The Swamp will be crazy for that game at 2-0.

If both Rising and Kuithe do not play in SLC, I think that bodes well for us, but they return 3/4 members of their OL and found a better RB in Jackson late in the year. That will tell us a lot about our front 6 (since we run a lot of nickel). If they can run, in the elevation, Rising and Kuithe would mean less. Kuithe was the size of shorter so I'm not sure if his blocking impact is as much. Until Rising does not play, in my mind he's playing. A Utah fan posted about Rising making the surprise start after being counted out getting the fans elated and I had thought the same, it wouldn't be the craziest thing I've seen. Though I think there is low chances of that. If one or both play, I think the game is a toss up. Without spoiling my scheduling rants, although we should be favored, there are reasons we could lose each of the non-cupcake/Vandy games (obviously the chances vary).

UT definitely takes a step back and I know that Miles is counting on the UT defense continuing to slide. However, I'm not convinced yet that we are capable of winning a shootout if we play like we did last year at UT with the running backs not doing too well and needing the passing game to lead. It was one of the more wide open passing games Nape called, even before we were behind.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying all those will be losses or are likely to be losses. I think our D is better (another one Deet) and this offense could be, but there is a lot riding on guys who, despite what some have said elsewhere, haven't really proven themselves reliable elsewhere. The hope is they do. I have more confidence in some than others.

Things we can't do, lose to UK again, lose to all 4 rivals, have a losing season. I believe 2/3 of that are determined in the first 7 games. Beat Utah and UT and 7-0 looks more feasible. Lose to both and suddenly a probable night game in Lexington (I think every game since '09 has been night there) where we have struggled since 2015 gets a little iffy. And then Columbia looks iffy as we've also struggled there since 2009 (I remember that '09 being uncomfortable and looking at scores doesn't do justice to 2015 and 2019). Hopefully, Napier shows those concerns against lesser teams are in the past. Split them and we will see.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
UT definitely takes a step back and I know that Miles is counting on the UT defense continuing to slide. However, I'm not convinced yet that we are capable of winning a shootout if we play like we did last year at UT with the running backs not doing too well and needing the passing game to lead. It was one of the more wide open passing games Nape called, even before we were behind.
This is one thing Nape needs prove or break through this year. Winning a shootout and being able to lean on the passing game. Even Kirby at some point last year had uga throwing 37 times a game last year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest concern is the oline aswell. Tackle in particular as truth mentioned. The spring game they looked really bad, the bowl game they looked really bad and if even in those scrimmage clips look bad. Can't help but wonder if one of the young guys would be able to slide outside.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Great write-up, Truth. I look forward to more of the same this season.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Statistically second year coaches win the games they are supposed to win. We only play two teams with more talent. An average coach wins 8 games this season.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Really appreciate all the research and data. Sometime the facts are not great. Hopefully the OL, Mertz, and Napier outperform their individual and collective history.
I think Mertz will be good to very good as long as he’s not running for his life constantly, as in the spring game.

Same for the RBs. They will romp if they get cracks to exploit. Fortunately Montreal and ETN don’t need much time or space.

I disagree with @GatorTruth133 re: the OL talent. Barber is a step up from Tarquín who ducked competition from him. We got the most out of White but he spit the bit and is now out of football. Leonard will be better. Kingsley should be better than last year and he’s being pushed more. Mazzcua (can anyone please say his name right? It’s not Mazzuca.) is not Torrence yet, but he’s a solid successor and that’s the only small step back on this line. George is at least as good as Gouraige, undrafted after so many starts.

But it all comes down to a new group playing well together. Utah is a tough first test, which has hopefully spurred urgency in them. The coaches are proven - can these guys respond and grow all season?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hope OL and Defense are bright spots.

One question I have is, how will we make up for the 600+ run yards AR accounted for? It seems that every other group, defense included, has to improve somewhat just to break even there.
That’s why they’re throwing more screens to the backs, to utilize those spaces to burn the pass rush.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I can see arguments from 3-9 to 10-2 myself. I think both are about the same low odds on the bell curve.
Agreed and thanks @GatorTruth133 . Thoughtful as always.

We’re stuck in a bucket with SC, KY, and Mizzou in the middle of the SECe. We play all 3 on the road. Win 2 or 3 of those, hold serve at home over 3 of Ut, Ark, Vandy and f$u plus our 2 cupcakes and that’s 7-8 wins. Utah could get us to 9.

And there’s the grind of ALL of that, which is where the team culture brings resilience - or not.

I like our chances. And maybe we shock rebuilding UGA and/or LSU.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good read.

I tend to have a little bit of a take with the Oline. I can remember Barber just absolutely demolishing the UK tackle that night and he played well last season. He IMO was an upgrade over Tark. If Mazzcua can live up to his billing who better to take over for Torrence than the guy ranked behind him. I feel like many that Leonard and George have enough reps to keep us solid as well with not too much of a drop off. As far as White, he was OK but I always felt he was a not a dominant force seemed to stay dinged up. In the offseason we not only built depth but size as well. If they have a solid start could wind up being a huge part in what UF does. And as we all know it starts with the OL. I just think even with a lesser amount of combined starts, this group will be solid. It's hard to replace Torrence but it's not impossible to build an overall better unit.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
But it all comes down to a new group playing well together. Utah is a tough first test, which has hopefully spurred urgency in them. The coaches are proven - can these guys respond and grow all season?
I remember reading an interview with Saban where he said he much preferred to open the season with a tough game as opposed to a team everyone expected to crush. He felt it helped give focus all off season.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't have a good feeling about the oline, and I think that is the biggest factor in success this year. If the oline plays well we will be very competitive, but if not it's gonna be a brutal year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator