Truth Takes: South Carolina Review 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys. Saturday afternoon and night was an incredible environment for college football and more importantly the Gators won a thrilling 41-39 away game over the South Carolina Gamecocks.

There are a lot of good takeaways from this game. The most obvious is the Gators getting an away victory over a mostly healthy South Carolina team on the road for their second victory away from the Swamp in 9 tries under Billy Napier. The offense appeared to be taking a step forward while the defense showed signs of something I was concerned about. Plenty of good, some bad, and having momentum going into the bye week with some questions.

On offense, we saw an explosion of passing with Graham Mertz throwing for 423 yards while completing 30 of 48 attempts. He only had 7 attempts or 14% behind the line of scrimmage which is vastly lower than most games and according to PFF had just over 50% of throws under 9 yards. That is a big difference. In doing so he averaged 14 yards a completion and lead a comeback where the Gators were behind 10 with less than 5 minutes remaining. One thing that impressed me about Mertz in this game in particular is he stepped up in the pocket instead of rolling out like he did a lot so far this season. In climbing the pocket, he kept his eyes downfield and in doing so delivered several great strikes including the 21-yard TD with 47 seconds left on 2nd and 15. He wasn't perfect, but it was by far his best performance as a Gator. There is not much more you could ask from his performance. After Kentucky, I shared a text message I got basically saying that the sender felt bad for Mertz because he could be better, but was trapped in a bad offense. Last week, and again this week it appears that there are being changes in the offense that have improved it.

Some of the changes we have seen are better and quicker intermediary routes, routes that are sitting in open spaces in zones, and finding ways to get the ball into the hands of playmakers like Wilson, Pearsall and Boardingham. Boardingham and Hayden Hansen both had some good receptions on 3rd and long sitting in holes in the zone. Pearsall had some great catches including the game winner. Wilson had some great catch and runs including one to help set up a shorter field goal after we tried moving ourselves out of comfortable FG range. Jackson is making his lineage proud with his performances. On the drive home my brother asked me how many catches did I think he had, my guess was six. He only had two, on the same drive, but they were a big time highlight catch and a touchdown.

The running backs did well with each having over 4.5 yards per carry. They weren't asked to do too much in the run game, but did not need to. However, if the pass game can continue to be somewhat successful, I expect to see these guys with better performances against some of the better defenses we will face. Etienne did make what I consider the play of the game. On 4th and 11, down by 10 Mertz threw a horizontal pass to Boardingham. Boardingham made the first defender miss and Etienne made a great block to ensure Boardingham got the first down. Without that block, there is no first down and the Gators lose by 10. With the block, we have a game comparable to 2015 Tennessee and the 4th and 14. A multi-score deficit with less than 5 to go and a big TD pass to take the lead with little time left.

On defense, we gave up 465 yards. I was curious how the defense would perform against the first of several top 14 passing offenses they've faced and they did not do well. There were a few stops where Carolina stopped themselves. A bad snap and a false start on a 4th and 1. With all of that said, when it mattered most, they stepped up. They got to Rattler, they hit Rattler, they forced Rattler into throwing an interception to all but seal the win. There is a lot for the defense to work on, but better to do so after a win. Seeing that the defense is the younger side of the ball playing true freshmen like Castell, Thornton, Searcy and Collins, I expect there to be problems, but we are still better than in previous years if for nothing else, it truly is a youth movement that shows potential.

It is great to have momentum going into the bye week. It is great to get an away victory. What I'm not going to do yet is spike the ball and act like all problems have been solved. We definitely are seeing better schematics. There's a reason why I note how bad Carolina's D was coming into the game (though I wasn't sure if it was just because of the great O's they faced). It was great to see us attack Carolina's 126th ranked pass defense instead of trying to force the run. Will we still be effective against better pass defenses? That answer will tell whether we end up 5-7, 7-5, and/or better. To say that we faced a bad Carolina D takes nothing away from how great we played, the less predictable playcalling, and improved play design. It is to say we did well with this challenge and now we have to build on it. We have the bye week to get healthy and to hopefully be ready to face Georgia, possibly without Brock Bowers.

The Gators took a step Saturday, how big will be shown in the road that they continue to travel. For a week, the rest of that road doesn't matter, all that matters is the Gators pulled off a terrific comeback, survived the sandstorm, and won a road game.

Oh, and this:

Go Gators!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks, @GatorTruth133 Great, as always.

Things to work on during the bye week:

OL - If SC can reshuffle and vastly improve, why can’t we? We’ve got to gel.

DL - Can they get more explosive on the interior? The push from Jackson, Banks, Dez & McClellan isn’t what I’d expected.

Better get disciplined on setting the edges.

Don’t rush past a mobile QB.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good take, it doesn't suck!

:thumbup:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Rewatched the first half yesterday and two places I’d like to see some improvement is our inside linebacker play and o-line.
James (#6) either was blocked easily or was out of position most of the half, he did make a nice shoe-string tackle that probably saved a long run.
The O-line was just out of sync, sometime letting guys go thru untouched other times just getting beat one on one.
Plenty of good things too ,receivers , tight-ends , QB when given the time. If Smack ain’t special team player of the week something’s wrong.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
"Tacos with Truth" is back with another addition. The past 2 games have shocked me with the amount of passing that has been attempted. I did not know Coach Napier had it in him nor have I seen it in his coaching at Louisana. I must ask, where was this part of the playbook when Kentucky stacked the box with 8 defenders?

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
"Tacos with Truth" is back with another addition. The past 2 games have shocked me with the amount of passing that has been attempted. I did not know Coach Napier had it in him nor have I seen it in his coaching at Louisana. I must ask, where was this part of the playbook when Kentucky stacked the box with 8 defenders?
I have heard rumors that Russ Callaway has started putting his hands on the passing game. Perhaps Kentucky was a wake up call for Napier and he clearly heard some of the noise including Spurrier's comments regarding passing. His comments that his wife brought it up tell me enough about that. We have heard that Napier is a guy who does adjust, maybe not just losing, but getting blown the f out in Kentucky changed something in him. Maybe he realized that outside of the comfort of the Swamp, this defense is not fully ready for primetime and he needs a greater margin of error. Maybe there was a conversation between him and Jeremiah Smith that got him thinking. I don't know, but I'm happy to see some changes. I do think that Odom's injury is a happy accident. Not that we want anyone injured, but it forced a bigger role for Boardingham and that has also helped.

Interestingly, we had one drive where we saw regular Nape. After taking an offside for 1st and 5 instead of 2nd and 2, we went horizontal twice and a poor run into a tight box and kicked a FG to go up 10-7. Carolina scored immediately to go 14-10 and at that point, the wide open, throw it more and down the field (as opposed to horizontal) passing game started going. We saw it some last season at UT. We have better weapons now with Boardingham and Wilson along with a more consistent Pearsall. Jackson is also on the way up. We have the weapons, now we are trying to use them optimally.

What I am most curious about is what we try doing in Jacksonville.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have heard rumors that Russ Callaway has started putting his hands on the passing game. Perhaps Kentucky was a wake up call for Napier and he clearly heard some of the noise including Spurrier's comments regarding passing. His comments that his wife brought it up tell me enough about that. We have heard that Napier is a guy who does adjust, maybe not just losing, but getting blown the f out in Kentucky changed something in him. Maybe he realized that outside of the comfort of the Swamp, this defense is not fully ready for primetime and he needs a greater margin of error. Maybe there was a conversation between him and Jeremiah Smith that got him thinking. I don't know, but I'm happy to see some changes. I do think that Odom's injury is a happy accident. Not that we want anyone injured, but it forced a bigger role for Boardingham and that has also helped.

Interestingly, we had one drive where we saw regular Nape. After taking an offside for 1st and 5 instead of 2nd and 2, we went horizontal twice and a poor run into a tight box and kicked a FG to go up 10-7. Carolina scored immediately to go 14-10 and at that point, the wide open, through it more and down the field (as opposed to horizontal) passing game started going. We saw it some last season at UT. We have better weapons now with Boardingham and Wilson along with a more consistent Pearsall. Jackson is also on the way up. We have the weapons, now we are trying to use them optimally.

What I am most curious about is what we try doing in Jacksonville.
It does look like something has changed in the passing game but maybe it's just Mertz getting further down the tree now that he has a few games in the system. I think earlier in the year he was taking the easy throw first, maybe not wanting to screw up with a turn over.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
It does look like something has changed in the passing game but maybe it's just Mertz getting further down the tree now that he has a few games in the system. I think earlier in the year he was taking the easy throw first, maybe not wanting to screw up with a turn over.
There are no easy throws. My apologies to the SEALs.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Go back and watch how much holding was not called, especially on Rattler’s late, long run to set up their last score.
I've watched the highlights twice and that massive hold on that run was impossible not to see. So SC, definitely got the home cooking and still lost.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Go back and watch how much holding was not called, especially on Rattler’s late, long run to set up their last score.
YES
YES
YES

Also, with their DBs on our WR. Burke was getting mugged out there.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hope it sticks.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've watched the highlights twice and that massive hold on that run was impossible not to see. So SC, definitely got the home cooking and still lost.
I listened to the SC call in show... It's amazing how many of their fans feel like the Refs gave the game to Florida!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There were some great plays on the way to a great win, but man we sure needed a lot of things falling our way to get there. Multiple long 4th down conversions, a tipped ball right into Wilson's hands, etc. Glad to see this team fired up and fighting all the way to the end.

Several things stand out as being different from what we've seen so far, and encouraging for the future. 1st, we are starting to look, at least on the offensive side of the ball, like everybody is on the same page. I couldn't even remotely say that earlier in the year with all the confusion, false starts, receivers running the wrong routes, etc. Hopefully the team is not only starting to know their assignments and communicate effectively, but to have confidence that their teammates are going to do likewise. 2nd, as mentioned several times, the passing game is coming together which forces the defense to stop cheating toward the run so much. 2A is that Mertz seems to be looking at the whole field instead of just the right half of it. Route combos seem to make more sense for example. 3rd, Billy seems like another coach when it comes to game management. The playcalling is a lot better and its hard to find fault with any decisions he made this past weekend.

We have a young team with an admittedly fairly low ceiling right now, but thankfully (in comparison to how we looked against Utah and Kentucky and even Charlotte) it seems like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. What I want to see is a system where down the road you plug in a star quarterback and some stud linemen and it becomes lethal. Saturday felt like such a vision is starting to come into focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator