Truth Takes: South Carolina Review 2023

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
3rd, Billy seems like another coach when it comes to game management. The play calling is a lot better and its hard to find fault with any decisions he made this past weekend.
Agree with pretty much everything you are saying here, and would only add that maybe the rumors of Callaway having some, or more input into the play calling is starting to pay dividends now.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I listened to the SC call in show... It's amazing how many of their fans feel like the Refs gave the game to Florida!
As I was watching bad call after bad call after missed call go against us, I told my wife that even though they were winning (and I assumed they still would), their fans will bitch about getting bad calls from the refs.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
As I was watching bad call after bad call after missed call go against us, I told my wife that even though they were winning (and I assumed they still would), their fans will bitch about getting bad calls from the refs.
So many uncalled holding calls (thier OL and DBs)

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
3rd, Billy seems like another coach when it comes to game management. The playcalling is a lot better and its hard to find fault with any decisions he made this past weekend.

One thing I don't think I've mentioned yet and this is something Billy has rightly been nailed for before this game is we seemed to have urgency. We tried to move the ball quickly to score at the end of the first half and on the last two real drives we had we we getting lined up faster, we were trying to move the ball downfield faster and weren't generally taking a ton of time when we were trying to comeback (like taking 8 minutes to score against Utah).

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
One thing I don't think I've mentioned yet and this is something Billy has rightly been nailed for before this game is we seemed to have urgency. We tried to move the ball quickly to score at the end of the first half and on the last two real drives we had we we getting lined up faster, we were trying to move the ball downfield faster and weren't generally taking a ton of time when we were trying to comeback (like taking 8 minutes to score against Utah).
With 1:24 left in the half, to drive and get a FG… was stunning.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It was and a very important FG both at the time and in retrospect.
I know the jury is still out on whether CBN was the right hire - tho some here have already voted him off the island - but I have to give him credit for his ability to change more than most coaches. He quickly figured out after watching last season he needed a new DC and got one. He watched the offense through a few games this year and publicly agreed he needed to get an OC (hell, he even made fun of himself on the issue with the crack about his wife). After games where the offense not having a sense of urgency cost us dearly, he's shown some remarkable improvement. And lastly - tho I'm sure others here could point out more stuff - we finally saw some real effort at medium to deep passing attempts. Who knows what the offense will look like in the WLOCP - against the toughest defense we've faced and probably will face all year - but I'm encouraged by his willingness to embrace change. Especially compared to his most recent predecessor!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
and publicly agreed he needed to get an OC
Disagree. What he publicly joked about was the legend saying we need to throw it downfield more and he acknowledged that the king of high octane offense knows a thing or 2. If we get an OC, awesome! But he hasn't indicated that it's going to happen.

Do i think it will happen? At this point probably, b/c he knows if he rolls out first half season billy ball next year he's in serious trouble. And he also has seen the positive results of attacking a defense down the field. And the positive response from the base when we do.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Disagree. What he publicly joked about was the legend saying we need to throw it downfield more and he acknowledged that the king of high octane offense knows a thing or 2. If we get an OC, awesome! But he hasn't indicating that it's going to happen.

Do i think it will happen? At this point probably, b/c he knows if he rolls out first half season billy ball next year he's in serious trouble. And he also has seen the positive results of attacking a defense down the field. And the positive response from the base when we do.
Shocker. You were exactly who I was thinking of when I said folks ready to vote him off the island. I'll predict right now he both gets an OC in the off-season and you criticize the selection.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
There was holding. But our WR have to be man enough (can we say that) to win that battle. Hopefully an off season will add some strength. Starting to see some speed which is good. The smurfs of old were great blazers as long as there wasn’t contact.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
There was holding. But our WR have to be man enough (can we say that) to win that battle. Hopefully an off season will add some strength. Starting to see some speed which is good. The smurfs of old were great blazers as long as there wasn’t contact.
They also have to fight back to the ball and generate contact on some of the DPI no calls. They have to force the issue. There was an underthrow to Wilson (on the camera near sideline) that he would've had the DPI had he slowed down and came back to the ball rather than keep running (despite being held).

He quickly figured out after watching last season he needed a new DC and got one. He watched the offense through a few games this year and publicly agreed he needed to get an OC (hell, he even made fun of himself on the issue with the crack about his wife).
We will never know if he indeed fired Toney or had to find a replacement when Toney, Colbert and Toney's doppleganger left a few weeks after NSD. No one will convince me he fired Colbert, who pulled in a better WR class than we have this season so far, and it was all at the same time. Usually it is a bad look to players if you fire the guy they committed to just after they've signed. Either way, he made a great hire from what we've seen.

He has not publicly agreed he needed an OC. He did make fun of himself. If you can tell me where he said that he needs an OC, I'll gladly go watch/listen. That said, we have seen different concepts starting the last two weeks. I can applaud his changes while acknowledging he hasn't said anything about a new OC publicly. The thing about the offense is it wasn't just a few games in 2023, it was also 2022. People weren't reacting just because of 5 games.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Shocker. You were exactly who I was thinking of when I said folks ready to vote him off the island. I'll predict right now he both gets an OC in the off-season and you criticize the selection.
I just said I bet he does. And yes, if it's more billy ball I will criticize. But your post was wrong and you know it. Nowhere has he said he's getting an OC. Whether he does or not doesn't change things.

I've been critical when it's been bad. I was very complimentary after this Saturday in multiple threads. The problem is it's been bad A LOT. I don't wear O&B glasses and don't project based on hope. That's the difference between me and a lot of folks on this board. If he does the things we keep saying he needs to do he has a chance, if not he doesn't. This is the truth. It is what it is.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just said I bet he does. And yes, if it's more billy ball I will criticize. But your post was wrong and you know it. Nowhere has he said he's getting an OC. Whether he does or not doesn't change things.

I've been critical when it's been bad. I was very complimentary after this Saturday in multiple threads. The problem is it's been bad A LOT. I don't wear O&B glasses and don't project based on hope. That's the difference between me and a lot of folks on this board. If he does the things we keep saying he needs to do he has a chance, if not he doesn't. This is the truth. It is what it is.
I will say this...he seems like a quick learner, seems willing to make changes, and far less stubborn than the last 3 dolts we had.
If that's truly the case, I believe he'll continue to make adjustments to his staff, his offensive style, etc. He'll probably never not talk slow though :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I will say this...he seems like a quick learner, seems willing to make changes, and far less stubborn than the last 3 dolts we had.
If that's truly the case, I believe he'll continue to make adjustments to his staff, his offensive style, etc. He'll probably never not talk slow though :lol:
I generally agree, although I don't agree with the quick part. He is willing to make some changes and that's good but they've been far too slow to come IMO. Do we really need 1.5 seasons and counting to determine STs need some dedicated coaching support? I'm less hard on him about playcalling as there was some legitimate concern about the QB being a part of the issue last year. But there is zero doubt about the underlying issue at this point. It's playcalling and concepts that need a major overhaul. It seems like he is coming around and that's a good sign. If we see a more open offense moving forward I think everyone will be a lot more optimistic.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I generally agree, although I don't agree with the quick part. He is willing to make some changes and that's good but they've been far too slow to come IMO. Do we really need 1.5 seasons and counting to determine STs need some dedicated coaching support? I'm less hard on him about playcalling as there was some legitimate concern about the QB being a part of the issue last year. But there is zero doubt about the underlying issue at this point. It's playcalling and concepts that need a major overhaul. It seems like he is coming around and that's a good sign. If we see a more open offense moving forward I think everyone will be a lot more optimistic.
it's a relative term. We went 3 and 4 years with the last guys just waiting for them to figure out, of course they never did :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
it's a relative term. We went 3 and 4 years with the last guys just waiting for them to figure out, of course they never did :lol:
Agree but if we compare it to highly successful coaches he is far behind. Spurrier would yank a QB quickly if they weren't lighting it up. Meyer changed the offense after 2 losses. We need to see some urgency and an insatiable desire to win. Winners have both those traits in spades. Every last one.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree but if we compare it to highly successful coaches he is far behind. Spurrier would yank a QB quickly if they weren't lighting it up. Meyer changed the offense after 2 losses. We need to some urgency and an insatiable desire to win. Winners have both those traits in spades. Every last one.
Listen mother fucher I'm just happy to be here :lol:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Man, you're really hanging it out there.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Any chance we move to a more hurry up offense going forward?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator