Truth Takes: South Carolina Review 2023

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I am happy that he has opened up the offense to the degree he did. If it was him doing it or giving someone else the controls, I don't care. The sense of urgency at the end of the first half is exactly the FIRST time we have seen that since he has been here. And the second half/fourth quarter stuff speaks for itself - we have the horses to make plays - they just need the plays called.

I don't need an air raid offense to be happy - and I was just fine with the 14-10 wins in the 80s - but I need to know that we have a system that will put us in a position to win every game. I know we don't have the horses yet to run with the biggest of boys (maybe the team can overachieve in the cocktail party), but all most of us asked for was some fight when it was needed and can make a huge difference. This is the first game that I can say that I saw that fight and direction from this staff.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I am happy that he has opened up the offense to the degree he did. If it was him doing it or giving someone else the controls, I don't care. The sense of urgency at the end of the first half is exactly the FIRST time we have seen that since he has been here. And the second half/fourth quarter stuff speaks for itself - we have the horses to make plays - they just need the plays called.
What we saw in the Tenn game has not been seen since. The character of the offense last weekend is different than games played to that point. I don't know what to expect. We don't know if Napier will go into a shell or swing for the fences. Of course Napier could call the aggressive downfield plays and the timing, accuracy, communication may not be the same in two weeks. We don't know. That said, I hope our OL and front seven really show up. Isn't georgia at least two deep at every spot, with presumably all-world players? Big test for Napier and the team.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
What we saw in the Tenn game has not been seen since. The character of the offense last weekend is different than games played to that point. I don't know what to expect. We don't know if Napier will go into a shell or swing for the fences. Of course Napier could call the aggressive downfield plays and the timing, accuracy, communication may not be the same in two weeks. We don't know. That said, I hope our OL and front seven really show up. Isn't georgia at least two deep at every spot, with presumably all-world players? Big test for Napier and the team.

Are we talking Tennessee first half or second half? We talking scoring a lot or 3 points after UT stopped putting 6 in the box?

That information is just as important as looking at what might have been different there.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Are we talking Tennessee first half or second half? We talking scoring a lot or 3 points after UT stopped putting 6 in the box?

That information is just as important as looking at what might have been different there.
Only trying to convey the team doesn't have a consistent identity. We were great against Tenn, different vs Kentucky, great against SC, remains to be seen against georgia. Hope our linemen show up.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Only trying to convey the team doesn't have a consistent identity. We were great against Tenn, different vs Kentucky, great against SC, remains to be seen against georgia. Hope our linemen show up.
We were great in the first half against Tennessee, but not in the 2nd half. It's easy to just snapshot without looking at why and just make that sweeping statement. Tennessee had 6 men in the box in the first half and then adjusted to stacking the box in the second half and we didn't look great. Utah and UK stacked the box, like Tennessee did in the second half and it all looked the same. We didn't have an answer. Then we started seeing some changes in the passing game against Vandy and again against Carolina. It isn't full on wholesale changes, but some route combos or personnel or even alignment that has helped. It's easy to say we always ran flood concepts, but it is different when we look at some of the routes, personnel, formations, etc. making up said flood concept.

When we start hitting passes and being a little bit quicker on the pass it could open up run lanes. It is important to note that Carolina is now the worst pass defense in the NCAA. Quality of opponent does play a bit of a factor there. Granted UK is currently 101 and Vandy 111. We do have 114 LSU coming up.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We were great in the first half against Tennessee, but not in the 2nd half. It's easy to just snapshot without looking at why and just make that sweeping statement. Tennessee had 6 men in the box in the first half and then adjusted to stacking the box in the second half and we didn't look great. Utah and UK stacked the box, like Tennessee did in the second half and it all looked the same. We didn't have an answer. Then we started seeing some changes in the passing game against Vandy and again against Carolina. It isn't full on wholesale changes, but some route combos or personnel or even alignment that has helped. It's easy to say we always ran flood concepts, but it is different when we look at some of the routes, personnel, formations, etc. making up said flood concept.

When we start hitting passes and being a little bit quicker on the pass it could open up run lanes. It is important to note that Carolina is now the worst pass defense in the NCAA. Quality of opponent does play a bit of a factor there. Granted UK is currently 101 and Vandy 111. We do have 114 LSU coming up.
I watched the GNFP on the offense last night. James was very complimentary of the play designs and most (not all) of the play calls. In my opinion, it looked like Napier went to Spurrier and asked him to draw up a few of his go-to plays and then went to Billy G and asked him to draw up a few successful 2020 plays. What we saw Saturday was not new to gator offense, just new to this coaching staff.

Hopefully, we'll continue to see more of this. That's two games in a row when Napier called good games (probably because he had some help at least during the week and maybe this game too). It'll be interesting to see if he has a similar mindset against UGA or if he opened up the pass agame simply cause it was against two bad pass defenses. What's encouraging though is that against SC, if a deep ball didn't work, he still took shots later. First time we've seen that this year.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I watched the GNFP on the offense last night. James was very complimentary of the play designs and most (not all) of the play calls. In my opinion, it looked like Napier went to Spurrier and asked him to draw up a few of his go-to plays and then went to Billy G and asked him to draw up a few successful 2020 plays. What we saw Saturday was not new to gator offense, just new to this coaching staff.

Hopefully, we'll continue to see more of this. That's two games in a row when Napier called good games (probably because he had some help at least during the week and maybe this game too). It'll be interesting to see if he has a similar mindset against UGA or if he opened up the pass agame simply cause it was against two bad pass defenses. What's encouraging though is that against SC, if a deep ball didn't work, he still took shots later. First time we've seen that this year.

Loved the GNFP offense. Haven't watched defense yet for Carolina. There is Davis, the statistician on X talking about how we didn't run any new concepts. His example is a flood play. Even GNFP addressed that saying it isn't as simple as simply calling it a flood concept (or Davis using the catch all "variations"). It is the route combos and more. It's like the screen to Wilson where the line went forward and Wilson ran towards the middle of the field, yes, that is a "screen concept", but no, we really haven't seen that at all.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

I was "okay" with our second half because we were too far ahead for Tenn to catch up. Had we only only led by 7, different story and staff would have looked bad, being unable still to field an offense because a team loads the box.

But looking ahead, based on what you saw Saturday, do you think our pass game will continue to develop, that what we did was a step up but not fully developed; and any indication that Napier is "getting it" and want to expand the breadth of offense? It was only one game and really, he was in a win or take a lot of heat situation, so will he continue to attack or fall back into his former mindset? I realize, we really don't know.

To the poster or two above that thought it looked like SOS might finally have shaped Napier's thinking, I can only hope.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Loved the GNFP offense. Haven't watched defense yet for Carolina. There is Davis, the statistician on X talking about how we didn't run any new concepts. His example is a flood play. Even GNFP addressed that saying it isn't as simple as simply calling it a flood concept (or Davis using the catch all "variations"). It is the route combos and more. It's like the screen to Wilson where the line went forward and Wilson ran towards the middle of the field, yes, that is a "screen concept", but no, we really haven't seen that at all.
Davis is an apologist it seems and has been for a while. I don't get his approach/position and have watched/read it on a number of occassions. It almost seems like he hates James and wants to attack James directly without ever mentioning it. Davis also has the exact opposite feel to him than James in approach. James goes at his video to inform, Davis almost seems Muschampian in his approach of suggesting no one else understands what they are seeing. For example, and I think this is Davis, he points out all the NFL teams (49ers, Rams, for instaance) that include 12 personnel or bunch concepts as proof that the scheme is great, though he doesn't address how often, what fronts they are seeing, actual spacing and the impact of the orbit motion on that bunch, personnel, and route combos/depths out of the various sets. It just seems like he posts to prove everything is fine, when results in and of themselves prove everything is not fine.

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Davis is an apologist it seems and has been for a while. I don't get his approach/position and have watched/read it on a number of occassions. It almost seems like he hates James and wants to attack James directly without ever mentioning it. Davis also has the exact opposite feel to him than James in approach. James goes at his video to inform, Davis almost seems Muschampian in his approach of suggesting no one else understands what they are seeing. For example, and I think this is Davis, he points out all the NFL teams (49ers, Rams, for instaance) that include 12 personnel or bunch concepts as proof that the scheme is great, though he doesn't address how often, what fronts they are seeing, actual spacing and the impact of the orbit motion on that bunch, personnel, and route combos/depths out of the various sets. It just seems like he posts to prove everything is fine, when results in and of themselves prove everything is not fine.

I think you're right. I've called him out a few times over the last few weeks using my personal X like pointing out that you can pass to open up the run when he posted a meme he created saying that the lack of run game (when opposing teams have stacked the box) is the problem, not what routes and others are happening and when they are happening.

He uses "concepts" as a catch all, but like you said doesn't go into details about anything or will use the broadest terms. Like 12 personnel, that's almost as broad as saying shotgun, there's a wide range of stuff. Heck, screens (actual category as part of the latest chart) there's a wide range of how you could do screens like slip, rb behind trips, bubble, static in trips where front 2 block while 3 waits on the pass, running towards the OL, etc. But if you simply say "screen concepts", it allows you to claim victory despite saying a lot of nothing. You can say that we've always run screens, but that doesn't mean that we might not have run it in a totally different way than we had previously.

Or like the two man routes with a guy standing static on the side I've not been a fan of for over a year, this week, we saw Wilson not be static, but essentially wheel up the sideline. Though it is arguably the same two route "concept", that one route change produced a 30 yard play that might not have gotten a first down if Wilson had to wait for the ball behind the line and then accelerating instead of already being in stride. No one is saying that we've received a whole new playbook. We are saying that we've seen these tweaks that improve what was there and not optimal.

And no, I don't know why he seems to hate James. Dude started all caps at times yesterday and I think that's where there's an indication of some personal animosity, whatever it is.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Mertz and Sapp know that, respectively for the two sides of the ball, they are "The Guy"
Really glad to see Sapp meeting expectations from his HS rankings. For whatever reason, he didn't go to bama. Hope he makes it to the NFL. Would size be an issue at 6'3 275?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Really glad to see Sapp meeting expectations from his HS rankings. For whatever reason, he didn't go to bama. Hope he makes it to the NFL. Would size be an issue at 6'3 275?
I have no idea on his NFL prospects... I have loved these kind of videos that show him pre-game... he doesn't look all hyped up wasting energy, but his EYES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator