Truth Takes: Why the Gators Could Win 10 in 2018 - Part 1: Coaching

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Good read, welcome back.

I agree with your takes - not going to nitpick. Charleton Warren is the CB coach and looks to be a significant upgrade from Bell based on their résumés. Overall, almost everything about this off-season is significantly better than we’ve seen the last 9 years. Muschamp’s bunker mentality is gone. Mac’s thin skin and poor leadership is gone.

Re: recruiting - I agree it’s an incomplete. The 2018 class plus transfers was very good, especially for a transition year. I’m concerned about 2019, though. I’ve posted elsewhere that so far it’s like getting a D on your midterm. You can pull it up a lot if you ace the rest of the course, but it’s a steep climb. However, a couple more flips could shift that quickly.

I’m excited to see how this season unfolds. Lots of questions and lots of potential. We still need a QB to emerge, though, to reach 10 wins.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Don't know if this helps, but Toney is the same size as Harvin was at UF. I think the S&C will help him stay healthy as well. No promises, heck, things happen, like Cleveland's freak injury last season.

Even the great Percy suffered injury. Nothing major, but dings that caused him to miss games. His rehab to play in the NC game vs. OU was unreal - and necessary.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Even the great Percy suffered injury. Nothing major, but dings that caused him to miss games. His rehab to play in the NC game vs. OU was unreal - and necessary.

Yea, I’m not saying he didn’t, almost every player gets injured. I was throwing the Harvin’s size (which is not the same as ability) as I took the comment to mean he was Jacquez Green/Chris Rainey/Brandon James size. I could have misread what is being said.

On the hands comment, I think Gonzales will do a great job of getting the hands of the entire team better. I think transitioning to WR the month before the season could also have played a role. He played QB that spring. And, if he gets injured, we still have other players behind him with speed. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Lemons in the slot like we did with Brandon James some to. The mismatch is still there.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Yea, I’m not saying he didn’t, almost every player gets injured. I was throwing the Harvin’s size (which is not the same as ability) as I took the comment to mean he was Jacquez Green/Chris Rainey/Brandon James size. I could have misread what is being said.

On the hands comment, I think Gonzales will do a great job of getting the hands of the entire team better. I think transitioning to WR the month before the season could also have played a role. He played QB that spring. And, if he gets injured, we still have other players behind him with speed. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Lemons in the slot like we did with Brandon James some to. The mismatch is still there.

I think Lemons is going to be a real pleasant surprise. I worry that he may get frustrated as he fights for touches in a loaded backfield. He is one guy that for sure has the ability to make a guy miss and take it to the house.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Coaching
As I've said during the coaching search, Dan Mullen wasn't even in my top-10 or at least top-7 choices for head coach. I think he has done a lot of good so far and plenty of things, like recruiting, where he needs to step up his game. I stand by what I've said that until he wins an SEC Title, I'm not going to say it was a great hire. However, coaching is much more than the head coach(see Auburn '10, Arky '06), so I'm going to analyze coaching through the lens of the last staff vs. the new staff. I'll be somewhat brief with each.

So, overall I would say this staff is an upgrade over the previous one. Now, that could be a jump from dumpster fire to average. Average doesn't get you to 10 wins. At least Hevesy, Gonzales, and Savage are above average.That's why, if permitted, I have 2 more parts that when combined lend to the possibility of a 10 win season. Again, before people go nuts, I'm not saying it will happen, but I think the possibility is better than many expect.

I have been saying for months around here that 10 wins is the minimum acceptable number or UF did not hire the right guy. Coaching is the area I have the least confidence about having what it takes to get to 10 wins.

I do think you are over emphasizing the assistants. The head coach sets the tone and is really the one that matters. Lots of great head coaches have had some so so staff members and lots of great assistants have coached for so so teams because their boss did not have IT.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I have been saying for months around here that 10 wins is the minimum acceptable number or UF did not hire the right guy. Coaching is the area I have the least confidence about having what it takes to get to 10 wins.

I do think you are over emphasizing the assistants. The head coach sets the tone and is really the one that matters. Lots of great head coaches have had some so so staff members and lots of great assistants have coached for so so teams because their boss did not have IT.

I’ll say this, as far as energetic, recognizing “The Gator Standard”, setting the tone, I think Mullen is doing a great job. It’s his playcalling that have many wary. In that regard, that’s where I think his assistants step up. Further, I address the assistants as related to the deficiencies of last season and having better coaches there does help players perform more consistently.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016

Ten wins as a MINIMUM expectation, with this roster, is borderline preposterous. Declaring Mullen a bust, after an eight or nine win season in his first campaign, would be even more ridiculous. Get real. Eight years of misery is not going to be remedied in one season. That's the kind of irrational, entitled nonsense that makes UF fans look like ninnies to the rest of the CFB world. And before someone starts telling me that UF should be at the top of the heap this year and every year, or that "settling" for less is for losers, allow me to remind you that no coach has come into a worse situation at UF since Pell replaced Dickey almost forty years ago. Pell had his faults, but he could damn sure coach and recruit - and even he struggled mightily his first season.

We have had the worst two head coaches, back to back, that I can remember seeing at a major CFB program during my fifty plus years of following CFB. I haven't mastered the Xs & Os like the donkey, and others on this board, but I do know that the mess the previous two regimes have made will take time to clean up. I also know that DM might be nothing more than a "bridge" to something better in the future. But destroying any chance we have to make at least some incremental progress with totally unreasonable demands is self-defeating to say the least.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

A. Eight years of misery is not going to be remedied in one season.

B. allow me to remind you that no coach has come into a worse situation at UF since Pell replaced Dickey almost forty years ago. Pell had his faults, but he could damn sure coach and recruit - and even he struggled mightily his first season.

I of course put the letters in the above so I could respond point by point.

A. I have of course seen a worse situation at UF turned around in one year.

B. Do you really think Pell stepped into a worse situation than taking over a team that was 21 and 16 over the prior 3 seasons and was heading into their second probation in a decade with total scholarship limits of the past still affecting the roster? Add in an equally bad QB situation to now and refer back to A.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I of course put the letters in the above so I could respond point by point.

A. I have of course send a worse situation at UF turned around in one year.

B. Do you really think Pell stepped into a worse situation than taking over a team that was 21 and 16 over the prior 3 seasons and was heading into their second probation in a decade with total scholarship limits of the past still affecting the roster? Add in an equally bad QB situation to now and refer back to A.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you're trying to say. Not to be a douche about it, but your "logic" and syntax leave something to be desired. Demanding ten wins "or else" with a team composed largely of players that wouldn't see the field at an SEC contender is both unreasonable and self-defeating. You're setting yourself up for a huge letdown if you truly believe that anyone is going to cure all of our ills in one season. I do expect considerable improvement, and ten wins is admittedly possible - if not probable. Like some others, I'm just happy that we appear to have a competent, if unspectacular, HC for the first time in almost a decade. It seems to me you're looking for an excuse to find fault with DM, no matter what he does, short of a NCOTY level performance. That is not constructive, IMHO.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I'm not sure I quite understand what you're trying to say. Not to be a douche about it, but your "logic" and syntax leave something to be desired. Demanding ten wins "or else" with a team composed largely of players that wouldn't see the field at an SEC contender is both unreasonable and self-defeating. You're setting yourself up for a huge letdown if you truly believe that anyone is going to cure all of our ills in one season. I do expect considerable improvement, and ten wins is admittedly possible - if not probable. Like some others, I'm just happy that we appear to have a competent, if unspectacular, HC for the first time in almost a decade. It seems to me you're looking for an excuse to find fault with DM, no matter what he does, short of a NCOTY level performance. That is not constructive, IMHO.
He’s not looking for a 10 win season - he wants to use this season as easy justification that the wrong coach was hired. He’ll say things like “any good coach could win 10 with this schedule and roster”. How do you even prove that? That’s not to say that Mullen was the right hire. I just don’t think this season will prove it, either way.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Based on this season's schedule alone, 10 wins should be the standard. This is the weakest schedule we have had in years. The cupcake games are BIG cupcakes, Willie T is a terrible coach, Tennessee hired another bum and while Georgia did very well last season, they lost the vast majority of their D starters... If Mullen does not win 10 games this season, wrong hire...

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Based on this season's schedule alone, 10 wins should be the standard. This is the weakest schedule we have had in years. The cupcake games are BIG cupcakes, Willie T is a terrible coach, Tennessee hired another bum and while Georgia did very well last season, they lost the vast majority of their D starters... If Mullen does not win 10 games this season, wrong hire...

Now why do you have to kill some of my commentary from Part 3?:spank:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator