Tuesday Favorites.....Pi

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Favorite pies already covered so I'll say this...

1. Unpopular opinion: Sweet Potato Pie > Pumpkin Pie (I said what I said, don't @ me)

2. Anybody ever have Chess Pie? Popular in Tennessee, Kentucky, that neck of the woods. It's a custard pie with a tiny bit of vinegar added to balance the sweetness. Not my favorite, but a very good pie.

3. I love a good peanut butter and chocolate pie, but does that even count? How do you compare a fruit pie to chocolate cream pie or a lemon meringue? It's almost like you need different categories.

Alex.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

1. Unpopular opinion: Sweet Potato Pie > Pumpkin Pie (I said what I said, don't @ me)

2. Anybody ever have Chess Pie? Popular in Tennessee, Kentucky, that neck of the woods. It's a custard pie with a tiny bit of vinegar added to balance the sweetness. Not my favorite, but a very good pie.

3. I love a good peanut butter and chocolate pie, but does that even count? How do you compare a fruit pie to chocolate cream pie or a lemon meringue? It's almost like you need different categories.

Alex.
We decided against, but Costco last weekend had a chocolate peanut butter pie in the cooler. Looked good, but no samples. And it weighed 4.75 PONDS!

I wanted to give it a shot, but my wife wouldn't have touched it, so it would have been all me until the kid got home for spring break. It was just too much, even for my sweet tooth!

I do like to get a slice of the peanut butter pie from Village Inn on occasion...it is one of my favorites.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
We decided against, but Costco last weekend had a chocolate peanut butter pie in the cooler. Looked good, but no samples. And it weighed 4.75 PONDS!

I wanted to give it a shot, but my wife wouldn't have touched it, so it would have been all me until the kid got home for spring break. It was just too much, even for my sweet tooth!

I do like to get a slice of the peanut butter pie from Village Inn on occasion...it is one of my favorites.

I am not sure how much a POND weighs, but I imagine its pretty damn heavy.

I can attest that Mrs. G's pie is delicious. And your mom's too.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Alex.

Chess pie is called Derby Pie in KY. Very similar to a pecan pie. Not my favorite but it’s very popular here.

Chocolate peanut butter brownie pie is the bomb.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Have you tried the frozen chocolate cover strawberries from Costco? They were on sample last month. I bit the bullet and bought an $11 bag yesterday. I haven’t seen the chocolate peanut butter pie you mentioned but we have a local restaurant that makes them. Amazing!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Chess pie is called Derby Pie in KY. Very similar to a pecan pie. Not my favorite but it’s very popular here.

Chocolate peanut butter brownie pie is the bomb.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Chess pie is like buttermilk pie. It's not like pecan pie.

This is chess pie (eggs, dairy, and sugar thickened with flour or corn meal, and of course, vinegar):

iu

Alex.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Have you tried the frozen chocolate cover strawberries from Costco? They were on sample last month. I bit the bullet and bought an $11 bag yesterday. I haven’t seen the chocolate peanut butter pie you mentioned but we have a local restaurant that makes them. Amazing!
I have had the strawberries, but my wife isn't a fan of chocolate, so we don't buy them just for me.

I had never seen that pie at Costco either. But either they were just giving it a whirl or it was very popular. There were only three in the case and we were there early Saturday.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Chess pie is like buttermilk pie. It's not like pecan pie.

This is chess pie (eggs, dairy, and sugar thickened with flour or corn meal, and of course, vinegar):

iu

Alex.

Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF

I don't like either.

Chess pies show up in kitchens all over the country under different names. Pecan is probably the most famous type of chess pie, but all nut pies are technically chess pies. This includes the trademarked Derby Pie, a chocolate-walnut mixture invented specifically for the Kentucky Derby.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF

I don't like either.

Chess pies show up in kitchens all over the country under different names. Pecan is probably the most famous type of chess pie, but all nut pies are technically chess pies. This includes the trademarked Derby Pie, a chocolate-walnut mixture invented specifically for the Kentucky Derby.

That's weird. Chess pie, buttermilk pie, and vinegar pie are all custard pies. Pecan pie isn't a custard pie. That is definitely a new one on me.

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

iu

Alex.
Have had Chess pie before and it’s good. Very similar, we do a coconut custard pie out of my aunt’s cookbook that looks identical, just no vinegar and with the coconut of course. Not overly sweet (the flour in the recipe tones it down I believe) but really good coconut flavor, if you like coconut.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I seem to recall a thread where I mentioned something about liking licorice, which is cultural, and I was chastised and ridiculed to no end for it. Suddenly though we’re putting vinegar in pies, plus at least one poster is ranking sweet potato over pumpkin, and everyone’s just ok with this?

1678980773061.gif

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I seem to recall a thread where I mentioned something about liking licorice, which is cultural, and I was chastised and ridiculed to no end for it. Suddenly though we’re putting vinegar in pies, plus at least one poster is ranking sweet potato over pumpkin, and everyone’s just ok with this?

View attachment 55746
I don't know man... ya kinda sound like a lil' bitch

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 55746

1. There is a difference between liking black licorice candy (yuck) and being cool with fennel, fennel seed in sausage, or sambuca.

2. I thought a snobby gourmet like you would understand that many pie recipes call for acid to balance the sweetness. This is typically done with lemon juice but in the American South, lemon juice wasn't as commonly available (or as cheap) as vinegar. You don't taste the vinegar, it just balances and rounds out the sweetness.

3. I warned you it was an unpopular opinion, but if you've had good sweet potato pie, you know what I'm talking about. Both pies use the same spices so they taste similar, but a well done sweet potato pie has a better texture, especially as leftovers.

Alex.

Last edited:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

View attachment 55746
Make that two posters ranking sweet taters over pumpkin pie. :fistbump:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
1. There is a difference between liking black licorice candy (yuck) and being cool with fennel, fennel seed in sausage, or sambuca.

2. I thought a snobby gourmet like you would understand that many pie recipes call for acid to balance the sweetness. This is typically done with lemon juice but in the American South, lemon juice wasn't as commonly available (or as cheap) as vinegar. You don't taste the vinegar, it just balances and rounds out the sweetness.

3. I warned you it was an unpopular opinion, but if you've had good sweet potato pie, you know what I'm talking about. Both pies use the same spices so they taste similar, but a well done sweet potato pie has a better texture, especially as leftovers.

Alex.

Alex.
College Basketball Sport GIF by Basketball Madness

Leftover sweet tater pie?

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Alex.

Alex.

Look, I don’t know what type of legal angle you’re trying to play with the double signature, but this was supposed to be informal.

1. Agree on Sambuca. Thank you. Friends again.

2. Snobby gourmet? Nope. Not friends anymore.

3. I’ve had a couple decent sweet potato pies, but I just think at their best, pumpkin wins. I’m sure, like most things, if you remember it growing up then it plays a huge role. I never had it as a kid. Blueberry and pumpkin were king in my house. So that’s what I think of as pie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.