Tuesday Favorites.... Sub Sandwiches

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What's your favorite sub sandwich and which restaurant is your go-to for them?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Firehouse Italian.

Edit: I've only been there once - it's a favorite of my son's - but I thought Hogan's in Gainesville was pretty good.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Philly Cheese steak is the best sub there is. Oddly enough, I don’t eat it the original Philly way. Jersey Mikes is good, but I actually prefer Pita Pit’s over that one.

Also, @CDGator , when you say roast beef, do you mean cold roast beef?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Philly Cheese steak is the best sub there is. Oddly enough, I don’t eat it the original Philly way. Jersey Mikes is good, but I actually prefer Pita Pit’s over that one.

Also, @CDGator , when you say roast beef, do you mean cold roast beef?
Shut your filthy mouth! Who eats cold roast beef?
The 5 grain bread needs to be toasted with the provolone cheese and then lightly toast the roast beef just enough to warm it up but not take the pink out of it. Then add the lettuce, tomatoes, banana peppers and go light on the oil, vinegar and salt.

But I'm not picky.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Philly Cheese steak is the best sub there is. Oddly enough, I don’t eat it the original Philly way.
I've never been a fan of Cheez Whiz (I prefer provolone). In fact, I've always suspected, despite the listed ingredients, there's no actual cheese in it. Here's a great quote about that product: "Dean Southworth, who was part of the original team that developed Cheez Whiz in the 1950s, described a jar he sampled in 2001 as tasting 'like axle grease'."

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Shut your filthy mouth! Who eats cold roast beef?
The 5 grain bread needs to be toasted with the provolone cheese and then lightly toast the roast beef just enough to warm it up but not take the pink out of it. Then add the lettuce, tomatoes, banana peppers and light with the oil, vinegar and salt.

But I'm not picky.

Ok good. That’s why I was asking. I’ve never known anyone of sound mind who eats cold roast beef. I don’t like to be judgey, but to me it’s the first sign that you’re a psycho who will end up harming people in the future.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Ok good. That’s why I was asking. I’ve never known anyone of sound mind who eats cold roast beef. I don’t like to be judgey, but to me it’s the first sign that you’re a psycho who will end up harming people in the future.
Same.
Cold roast beef sandwiches are also how I measure if someone is a psychopath.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Philly cheese steak sub from Jersey Mikes. Yuumm
We are getting really good at perfecting a philly sub at home. Kroger sells the shaved ribeye and we make homemade fries.
Add them to the sub with sauteed onions, lawry seasoning, lettuce and tomato and it's better than most restaurants around here.

No fries in this photo but there is okra. :lol:

IMG_3975.jpeg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
We are getting really good at perfecting a philly sub at home. Kroger sells the shaved ribeye and we make homemade fries.
Add them to the sub with sauteed onions, lawry seasoning, lettuce and tomato and it's better than most restaurants around here.

No fries in this photo but there is okra. :lol:

View attachment 62520
A true philly cheese-steak doesn't have lettuce and tomato. Just steak, onions, and provolone... Why ruin a good thing?

And I love okra...

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Chain - Publix easily, but none within 20 miles.

Cuban - West Tampa Sandwich Shop now that Covid claimed La Tropicana Cafe as a victim. ****ing chinks.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
A true philly cheese-steak doesn't have lettuce and tomato. Just steak, onions, and provolone... Why ruin a good thing?

And I love okra...
You’ve got that right about the ingredients Our Publix used to make great philly cheese subs, but stopped several years ago. Sure do miss them.
So y’all that have a Publix that makes them, enjoy while it lasts.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Firehouse Club, “fully engaged” is our sub go-to. However, I’ve always wanted to try Jersey Mike’s offerings. One of the commercials highlights using oil and vinegar as a dressing, which I really like on subs. I think I’d probably avoid any sub that had “Steamer” as part of the name.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I rarely ever eat sub-sandwiches because there is just too much bread in them.

One thing that Mom used to make when she was still alive was open-faced roast beef sandwiches with gravy on top...

200w.gif

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I rarely ever eat sub-sandwiches because there is just too much bread in them.

One thing that Mom used to make when she was still alive was open-faced roast beef sandwiches with gravy on top...

200w.gif
There used to be a little place in town when I was growing up that did the open-face rb’s that were out of this world. The roast was sliced thin and piled on top of some good toasted bread. Gravy was the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.