Tuesday Favorites.... Sub Sandwiches

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We have a local favorite place called Ramsey’s that I took Nalt and his wife to once. They have an amazing open faced roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and carrots. Now my mouth is watering.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Gator tail from Joe’s Deli. Unfortunately, RIP Joe’s Deli.

The Hobbit subs in Tallahassee were (are?) phenomenal ... they were right next to Publix off of Pensacola street.
Reminded me so much of Hogan's in Gainesville.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Publix has some great subs, the Havana bold is truly spectacular.

Jersey mikes has some really good ones too made mikes way.

Jimmy John's has some good ones too

But my favorite place is a place called Larry's giant subs. It's a New York style place with subway tile walls and king kong on the empire state bldg images for decoration. Larry's are so good my mouth salivates thinking about them.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Publix has some great subs, the Havana bold is truly spectacular.

Jersey mikes has some really good ones too made mikes way.

Jimmy John's has some good ones too

But my favorite place is a place called Larry's giant subs. It's a New York style place with subway tile walls and king kong on the empire state bldg images for decoration. Larry's are so good my mouth salivates thinking about them.
Jimmy Johns makes a good sub but they won’t heat it. You can also buy their day old bread for a $1.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Firehouse is my favorite overall sub place--their Italian is the best on the market and their other selections are all excellent too (Club on a Sub, Hook n Ladder, NY Steamer, BBQ Brisket).

Prefer Pub Subs to most other chain restaurants too (Havana Bold is delicious, as is their Jerk Turkey).

Larry's is a good shout; and Angie's subs here in Jax is a pretty good local spot too.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Y’all have me missing my home town Sub shops, the competition was fierce for a town of 40k. Plus had a restaurant that specialized in roast beef, give me that over some bread smothered in gravy, with homemade fries in that gravy also, Heaven.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This chain in the Delaware area has the best sandwich I have eaten:

IMG_3158.jpeg

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
This chain in the Delaware area has the best sandwich I have eaten:

View attachment 62548

I think they have one of those in Jax or something like it.

Jersey Mikes is pretty good, but I’ve always preferred Larry’s.

The best thing about Jimmy John’s is quick delivery if you want something quick, but man their bread can tear your mouth up some days.

Lost my taste for Firehouse when that was my wife’s craving while pregnant. Just not the same after eating it so often.

I used to love Blimpie and Quiznos before they all started disappearing and quality started sucking.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Y’all have me missing my home town Sub shops, the competition was fierce for a town of 40k. Plus had a restaurant that specialized in roast beef, give me that over some bread smothered in gravy, with homemade fries in that gravy also, Heaven.

Russo’s in West Palm is a classic. I’ve had people ask me if I want them to bring one back when they go south because others ask them to and they place a big order before heading back.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was gonna mention blimpies but I don't think they exist anymore. When I was a kid that was my favorite place.

Not much of a firehouse fan, just never cared much for those. My wife really likes them but I'd honestly rather eat subway if it comes to it.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are getting a Publix in Lexington in 2024. I’m so excited just for the subs and key lime pie.

You remind me of how we felt ten years ago when we lived in Charlotte and Publix arrived.
It was like a religious revival for nearly a year in the store as every person from Florida went crazy with Pub Subs and everything Publix.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
You remind me of how we felt ten years ago when we lived in Charlotte and Publix arrived.
It was like a religious revival for nearly a year in the store as every person from Florida went crazy with Pub Subs and everything Publix.
It's a big deal around here. Most people have heard of Publix and are excited.
There's a total of two coming to Lexington soon and the rumor is a third is going in two miles from us.
That will be about the time we are looking to sell the house and will hopefully increase the property value even more.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
A Publix near me used to have a sandwich press. The lady making the subs was a very kind, very religious Caribbean person (maybe Jamaican or Trinidadian). Whenever I ordered the Cuban, she'd tell me to go finish my shopping and she'd leave it in the press an extra, extra, extra long time then give it to me and tell me to have a blessed day. It was sooooo good.

Alas, now they only have the quick ovens. No more deliciously crispy Cubans for me.

For chains, I'm partial to Jersey Mikes.

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Probably stepping out of bounds here, but the talk of subs makes me think about Po’ Boys, maybe for the shape and construction if nothing else. Shrimp, oysters, and catfish are all good with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles and your favorite condiment (cocktail sauce, mayo, tartar, etc. As with a good sub, the quality of the bread makes a big difference. Toasted but not DOA is preferred and not too much bread. Best hack is if the bread is thick, dig out some of the excess so the main components aren’t hidden. We’ve got a little cafe about 10 min from home that makes a pretty good Po’ Boy (shrimp or catfish) for SoGa. It isn’t New Orleans but it satisfies that particular want.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
A Publix near me used to have a sandwich press. The lady making the subs was a very kind, very religious Caribbean person (maybe Jamaican or Trinidadian). Whenever I ordered the Cuban, she'd tell me to go finish my shopping and she'd leave it in the press an extra, extra, extra long time then give it to me and tell me to have a blessed day. It was sooooo good.

Alas, now they only have the quick ovens. No more deliciously crispy Cubans for me.

For chains, I'm partial to Jersey Mikes.

Alex.
That’s the only way to do it, double pressed. I have to ask em 4 times to make sure.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Probably stepping out of bounds here, but the talk of subs makes me think about Po’ Boys, maybe for the shape and construction if nothing else. Shrimp, oysters, and catfish are all good with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles and your favorite condiment (cocktail sauce, mayo, tartar, etc. As with a good sub, the quality of the bread makes a big difference. Toasted but not DOA is preferred and not too much bread. Best hack is if the bread is thick, dig out some of the excess so the main components aren’t hidden. We’ve got a little cafe about 10 min from home that makes a pretty good Po’ Boy (shrimp or catfish) for SoGa. It isn’t New Orleans but it satisfies that particular want.

Yes Yes Yes Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1696517800809.png

A little side note…mentioned daughter’s grad trip out west a few years back and one of the last stops on return was New Orleans. Ate at Commander’s Palace, which was super upscale, but had a Po’Boy at a smaller joint and raved about the Leidenheimer’s bread that it was made with. That seems to be the French bread gold standard for Po’ Boys. However, in a pinch Publix has some pretty good French bread when the ‘Jones hits.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Schlotzky's. Original without black olives!

There is one in the "cell phone/waiting" lot at DIA and that is kind of close to where we go on Wednesday evenings for a church group meeting, so Mrs. Altitude and I like to stop there sometimes before group. Otherwise, there are only a few around here and they are all on the southeast side of town - but there are several in the Springs. If I am down there, I have to choose between that and Whataburger because that is the only place in the state with those as well.

We also have a funny franchise here in Colorado called "Cheeba Hut" that caters to the dope crowd. They make decent subs, but their delivery service is based on "if you're high, we'll fly".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator