Tuesday Favorites.... Sub Sandwiches

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Chain - Publix easily, but none within 20 miles.

Cuban - West Tampa Sandwich Shop now that Covid claimed La Tropicana Cafe as a victim. ****ing chinks.
On the Tampa/Cuban note, and while it is technically Puerto Rican, this place is PHENOMENAL... total hole in the wall. "La Creacion Bakery"

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Schlotzky's. Original without black olives!

There is one in the "cell phone/waiting" lot at DIA and that is kind of close to where we go on Wednesday evenings for a church group meeting, so Mrs. Altitude and I like to stop there sometimes before group. Otherwise, there are only a few around here and they are all on the southeast side of town - but there are several in the Springs. If I am down there, I have to choose between that and Whataburger because that is the only place in the state with those as well.

We also have a funny franchise here in Colorado called "Cheeba Hut" that caters to the dope crowd. They make decent subs, but their delivery service is based on "if you're high, we'll fly".

Haven’t seen one of those in a long time

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
A true philly cheese-steak doesn't have lettuce and tomato. Just steak, onions, and provolone... Why ruin a good thing?

And I love okra...
You forgot the grilled peppers. And processed cheese, not provolone.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm sorry, I just don't get the Philly Cheesesteak thing, and I've had them in Philly... To me, it's the "IPA of sandwhiches"... overrated and tastes like homeless ass. As overrated as "Chicago syle" pizza and especially "Chicago style" hot dogs. Fuk Philly (except for the Flyers in the '70's, they were my team as a kid) and Chicago!!!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry, I just don't get the Philly Cheesesteak thing, and I've had them in Philly... To me, it's the "IPA of sandwhiches"... overrated and tastes like homeless ass. As overrated as "Chicago syle" pizza and especially "Chicago style" hot dogs. Fuk Philly (except for the Flyers in the '70's, they were my team as a kid) and Chicago!!!
“Homeless @ss…?”

But how do you…never mind!

1696603415858.jpeg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Detroitgator to be fair, your IPA comparison rings true with me. I remember all the hubbub when the craft beer, IPA craze got started and the folks touting them all either had man-buns, wore beanies and winced with each sip as they proclaimed how great the IPA was. That said, I can take the Philly Cheesesteak or leave it. Getting a sub or sandwich is as much about the lettuce, tomato, onions, oil and vinegar, etc. than just the meat, cheese, and bread and for some reason the lettuce and tomato et al just doesn’t match up. Of course, giving the Philly a second chance is now out of the question with the “homeless @ss” comparison.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
@Detroitgator to be fair, your IPA comparison rings true with me. I remember all the hubbub when the craft beer, IPA craze got started and the folks touting them all either had man-buns, wore beanies and winced with each sip as they proclaimed how great the IPA was. That said, I can take the Philly Cheesesteak or leave it. Getting a sub or sandwich is as much about the lettuce, tomato, onions, oil and vinegar, etc. than just the meat, cheese, and bread and for some reason the lettuce and tomato et al just doesn’t match up. Of course, giving the Philly a second chance is now out of the question with the “homeless @ss” comparison.
If I have to put processed cheese and no tomatoes or lettuce on my Philly, I don't want it. Guess I've never had a true Philly. Perfectly happy with our homemade version.

IPA is :puke:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
18768379_10155253511522488_2564049699687083420_o.jpg 18738894_10155253511067488_7922498358849992088_o.jpg

This was a favorite when camping. Roast beef and provolone on garlic butter French bread with au jus for dipping.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Philly cheesesteaks are great, and so are the phils and flyers. So there!

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
For those who might visit Brandon FL, Moreno's Bakery's Cuban. Alessi's in Tampa is a close second.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator tail from Joe’s Deli. Unfortunately, RIP Joe’s Deli.
I used to work at Joe's Deli, the one on University by the Porpoise. I would slice the meat and cheese and put it on the bun and hand it to this dude named Emmitt Smith who would run it through the garden, then he would hand it to Grace who would ring it all up.

Schlotsky's sucks. Everything in the whole place tastes like olives, and I hate olives.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Not exactly a sub specialty place, but I had a notably good philly from WaWa the other day.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I used to work at Joe's Deli, the one on University by the Porpoise. I would slice the meat and cheese and put it on the bun and hand it to this dude named Emmitt Smith who would run it through the garden, then he would hand it to Grace who would ring it all up.

Schlotsky's sucks. Everything in the whole place tastes like olives, and I hate olives.
The first time Mrs G took me to Gainesville, we had lunch at Joe’s Deli. Had to admit it was one tasty sub. The quality of the meal leads me to believe this was either before or after you were an employee.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The first time Mrs G took me to Gainesville, we had lunch at Joe’s Deli. Had to admit it was one tasty sub. The quality of the meal leads me to believe this was either before or after you were an employee.
Don’t make fun of my meat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator