UCF has a coach, quarterback and team on the rise. Should we go after Scott Frost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
UCF is a sleeping giant. Perfect location. Huge enrollment. If they ever get into a good conference, watch out.

Alex.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
With Memphis rout, UCF strengthens claim to Group of Five top spot

AP_17244711883624-1024x800.jpg

https://theathletic.com/114911/2017...-strengthens-claim-to-group-of-five-top-spot/

UCF made a statement Saturday night in Orlando, and it left a mark.

Four years ago, the Knights won the Fiesta Bowl. Two years ago, they were winless. Now, Scott Frost’s team should be the favorite to win the American Athletic Conference.

The Knights rolled past Memphis 40-13 on Saturday, putting up 603 total yards, including 350 on the ground.

“I love being these guys’ coach,” Frost told reporters afterward. “That was an unbelievable performance by our guys. They were hungry to play. We beat a really good team, and we outplayed them.”

South Florida has been the highest-ranked team in the AAC all season, but the Bulls have looked shaky at times against an easy schedule. Meanwhile, UCF’s blowout win against Memphis came one week after a dominating 38-10 victory at Maryland — a team that won at Minnesota on Saturday.

It was widely known UCF could put up points, and that the Knights likely would against a banged-up Memphis defense. But it was the UCF defense Saturday that shut down a Tigers offense that was scoring more than 40 points per game. UCF forced four turnovers, including three interceptions of Memphis quarterback Riley Ferguson, and also made a 4th-and-goal stop. Two takeaways came with Memphis inside UCF’s 10-yard line.

MOOD.

Welcome to the livest locker room in the Sunshine State ?#RiseAndConquer pic.twitter.com/tOG4U6O8cO

— UCF Football (@UCF_Football) October 1, 2017

“I was a little worried after that first drive,” Frost told reporters afterward. “I talked to (defensive coordinator Erik) Chinander, who did a fantastic job. I can’t say enough about him. They gave us some stuff on the first drive that we weren’t ready for. We made great adjustments. Man, we’ve got a defense that loves to play football. They play together, they communicate, and they run and hit. I’m just a spectator when the defense is on the field, because those coaches have got it, and those players have got it. It’s fun to watch.”

UCF has four starters back from last season’s defense, all in the front seven. Chinander told The All-American last week that the Knights’ solid rush defense allowed him to simplify things for an inexperienced secondary. That paid off Saturday. The Knights held Memphis to 3.1 yards per rush, and the three interceptions give UCF six in three games. Linebacker Shaquem Griffin, the 2016 AAC Defensive Player of the Year, recorded eight tackles (five solo) plus a sack and forced fumble.

As for the offense, sophomore quarterback McKenzie Milton was 19-for-31 passing for 253 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, along with 88 yards on the ground. Running back Adrian Killins Jr. broke off a 96-yard touchdown run to help UCF achieve its first 300-yard team rushing performance since 2011.

Frost took the Knights from winless to six victories last season but has said the jump to nine or 10 wins would be more difficult. With their victories over Maryland and Memphis, plus the cancellation of the Georgia Tech game, the path to nine or 10 wins is in sight, as is the Group of Five berth in the New Year’s Six bowl games.

UCF’s next two games are at Cincinnati and at home again East Carolina, two of the worst teams in the AAC. After that, it’s a difficult trip to Navy followed by a Nov. 4 game against SMU, two stout challenges ahead of the regular season finale against USF.

With each UCF win, the noise from Nebraska fans clamoring for Frost to be the Cornhuskers’ next coach will only get louder. Frost hasn’t hidden his love for his alma mater, but he’s not going to say anything noteworthy about the Nebraska job during the season, and especially not while Mike Riley is the coach in Lincoln. Still, the situation reminds of when Michigan fans openly clamored for Jim Harbaugh’s return for essentially an entire season, and then it happened.

For now, the focus should be on UCF’s resurgence. USF is the highest-ranked Group of Five team in the polls, and although San Diego State will remain my top G5 team if they hold off Northern Illinois, UCF has its own claim, and it is growing stronger.

“We’ve got a ways to go, but I’m happy with the way the guys are executing,” Chinander told The All-American last week. “The effort, the hats to the ball, the communication, their demeanor on the field. We’re pleased with that.”

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody gave a shyt about Utah when Meyer was running roughshod over the sked. We need to keep an eye on this guy. He's in our backyard and it's undeniable he's got something good going on.

The biggest issue with changing coaches is doing it in a year where there are fresh, viable replacement candidates. Our timing was off the last time.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody gave a shyt about Utah when Meyer was running roughshod over the sked. We need to keep an eye on this guy. He's in our backyard and it's undeniable he's got something good going on.

The biggest issue with changing coaches is doing it in a year where there are fresh, viable replacement candidates. Our timing was off the last time.

And....it appears it will be off this time as well...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And....it appears it will be off this time as well...

Earlier I thought we might tank. The weakness of our schedule once again saves the day for Mac. Even if we get crushed by Georgia and FSU, he probably still survives to see 2018.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Earlier I thought we might tank. The weakness of our schedule once again saves the day for Mac. Even if we get crushed by Georgia and FSU, he probably still survives to see 2018.

Agreed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Yep, been saying it since the start of the season, the schedule will save McElwain.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is crazy (keep in mind, Cincinnati gave Michigan a heck of a game the week after Michigan blew us out):

UCF’s offense scored on all eight of its drives against Cincinnati before the game was called late in the third quarter.

The Knights won 51-23. Those eight drives included seven touchdowns and one field goal. They recorded 511 yards in three quarters, marking the first time UCF has had back-to-back 500-yard games since 2002. Also, UCF is 4-0 for the first time since moving to Division I in 1990.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
QB is the second leading rusher. It would be great to see LDR, Franks, Allen and Corral running the option, wouldn't it? It would be awe inspiring I'm sure.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
QB is the second leading rusher. It would be great to see LDR, Franks, Allen and Corral running the option, wouldn't it? It would be awe inspiring I'm sure.

Frost found this QB in year 2. I'll gladly take a mediocre year 1 under Frost to have the offense he now has.....

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Sometimes you make absolutely no sense. Who the hell hires a college coach to fit the players who won't be there in a year or two?

BTW, Jalen Hurts is the leading rusher for BAMA.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UCF with the number 1 scoring offense, and top 10 in total offense.

Frost is legit.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im not the one saying we HAVE TO KEEP Butters another year so we can land Corral. IMO if he sticks, he sticks but we have to fix the coaching staff.

But Im also not going to get excited about a 6-6 option coach either. Im not going to be excited about anyone who runs a middle school offense.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Im not the one saying we HAVE TO KEEP Butters another year so we can land Corral. IMO if he sticks, he sticks but we have to fix the coaching staff.

But Im also not going to get excited about a 6-6 option coach either. Im not going to be excited about anyone who runs a middle school offense.

Yeah, I can see you booing all those TDs and wins cause they weren't done to your liking. :lol2:

Really, I can. Cause you have.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
6-6 option coach? :facepalm:
Yeah, the QB has a rating of 203.7, 13-2 int/TD ratio, averages 291 yards/game and is 4-0. And his coach has so far pulled off one of the biggest turn arounds in recent college football history. Why would we want that if the running back is under 240 pounds? :lmao:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UCF SOS at 61 right now. They do play Navy and USF so that will help but the other teams they play are 1-5, 3-3, 3-3, 4-2 so it will probably stay around 60-70...They need to be in a better conference

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
UCF is a sleeping giant. Perfect location. Huge enrollment. If they ever get into a good conference, watch out.

Alex.

UCF has been a sleeping giant for 20 years and they're still sleeping. Without a P5 conference they will forever be in a coma. Unfortunately for them there are no likely conference realignments that include them.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UCF SOS at 61 right now. They do play Navy and USF so that will help but the other teams they play are 1-5, 3-3, 3-3, 4-2 so it will probably stay around 60-70...They need to be in a better conference
I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Honestly, it should be a no brainer for the Big 12 to scoop up UCF and USF.
Anyway, the point isn't the conference they play in, but his resume. He was successful at Oregon with one of higher output offenses in the nation, and he's done nothing to stop that since.

In the 2015 season, UCF's last under George O'Leary, a season in which they went 0-12....UCF was dead last at 128th with 268.4 total yards of offense a game.
Scoring offense was 126th averaging only 13.9 points per game.
Passing offense was 102nd with 187.2 yards per game.
Rushing offense was 127th with only 81.25 yards per game.
On the defensive side, 114th giving up 464.1 total yards per game.

In 2016, Frost's first season at UCF, They only got up to 113th in total offense, however, they averaged 350.8 yards per game, or an average of 82.4 more yards per game that just the year prior, and he was largely doing it with the other guys players.
Scoring offense was 66th with an average of 28.8 points per game, a total of 14.9 more points per game in just year one of Frost's time at UCF.
Passing offense was up to 89th with 209.7 yards per game....22.5 more passing yards per game.
Rushing offense was up to 104th with 141.15 yards per game....59.9 more rushing yards per game.
Total defense in 2016 was up to 39th, giving up 370.3 yards per game, or 93.8 less yards per game.

Every area showed improvement in year one under Frost, though what stands out to me is the jump in the defense, and he's not even a defensive coach.

This year, Frost has them seemingly on all cylinders.
They've played 4 games thus far, having had the Ga Tech game cancelled. however, 2 of those games were against decent Maryland and Memphis teams.
They currently sit 8th in total offense gaining 533.3 yards per game. That's good for 182.5 more yards per game than last year and 264.9 more yards per game than O'Leary's 0-12 team. He is doubling their offensive output in just his 2nd season!
Scoring offense is now #1 with 47.5 points per game, or 18.7 more than last year, and 33.6 more points per game than 0-12 UCF. Hell I don't think we even average the amount Frost has increased that offense :lol:
Passing offense is now 18th for 311 yards per game. That is 101.3 more passing yards per game than last year, and 123.8 more than O'Leary's final season.
Rushing offense is 25th with 222.25 yards per game. 81.1 yards more per game than just last year, and a full 141 more yards per game than the 0-12 season could muster.
Total defense this year is 27th thus far giving up 329.8 yards per game, or 40.5 yards less per game than last year, and 134.3 yards per game less than the 0-fer season.

Keeping in mind he's having to do this with at very best, a 2nd tier recruit in Fla, and mostly 3rd tier recruits.
Frost knows what he is doing, and whomever gets him is going to get a very good coach. I'd love for us to dump Mac right now and go all in with Frost, though I know it's not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator