UF #1...in Academics!

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's OK with me. I have a hundred degrees from the joint. And one of my kids graduated too. I liked it better though when Spurrier was around. Because we could say we beat you because we play smarter than you do.

Don't hold it against our beloved alma mater that I graduated. I was motivated by a very good looking blonde.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always said the minute I left Gainesville they should elevate the academic standards. They apparently listened.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Uh oh, and never mind. The two authors of this report are both South Florida raised.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Guess the admin finally got what they wanted, athletics and the student body sacrificed to be WSJ's #1 ranked public university, I hope the grant money flows in while the athletic money flows out. I seem to remember a day when the inverse was a whole lot more exciting around here.

Here is to number 1, I need to update the CV.

I know a lot of people are rushing out to buy the WSJ just to read about this.

FpQA.gif

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
They should make all those Asian and Middle Eastern students pass some kind of football IQ test before letting them in the door. And I'm not talking round futball.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I can speak as a faculty member that has been involved with this ranking crap. A couple things that folks have pointed out. First, the various media outlets create their own "metrics" to rank a university. I have no idea what went into the WSJ one, but the big daddy US News does factor in graduation, placement and salary data for undergrad, so there is some outcome metrics in that one. Still, universities obviously try to game the rankings by bumping up other metrics like faculty/student ratios, high school counselor surveys (yes that is a metric that influences ranking), etc. Its all a game to sell newspapers or clicks now and of course the universities like to tout them.

Now the graduate programs are a total joke, only I think Med schools and Law schools and maybe B-schools track any metrics. All the other graduate programs are based upon surveys that are sent to other schools. The survey is literally rank who you feel are the top X graduate programs in whatever.

And the comment about spoon-feeding students, especially undergrads is very accurate. Students are just revenue streams as undergrads, keep them happy, keep them churning out. Still, regardless of how arbitrary these rankings are, it is nice to be able to say we are #1 in something lol

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I always said the minute I left Gainesville they should elevate the academic standards. They apparently listened.
just like me, when we left the standard obviously elevated.........addition by subtraction,...........

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
That is because most ratings of academic excellence have to do with inputs, not outputs. Have productive research faculty, lots of grad students, undergraduates with high SAT scores, a big endowment, etc. and everyone assumes that the outputs will also be excellent. It is a weird way to measure excellence - like saying that just because a restaurant has the freshest ingredients that the food will be excellent. That might be necessary, but not sufficient.

This is so spot-on. My grad program at UF was supposed to be one of the top grad programs in the country... it was a joke. Two of my professors were over 80, the other two that were consistent professors were over 70.

One taught a technology course and ADMITTED ON THE FIRST DAY THAT HE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY AND THAT HIS GRANDKIDS HAVE TO HELP HIM WITH HIS IPHONE. Not kidding. Just taught straight-up from a textbook like it was some lazy AP high school teacher or something.

Some of the other courses were pathetic too, one was using decades-old philosophies/theories that had all been replaced. It is not an exaggeration to say that there was not one thing from that particular course that would ever be applied in the real world today. It was as useless as learning from a medical textbook in the middle-ages.

Another class had presentations that would last the entire 3 hour class-time, that the professor admitted he has recycled for many years, and he would regularly go off on long 15-30 minute tangents that had nothing to do with the class, just to "entertain us." Not cool when we are all professionals with jobs and/or kids and you keep us all the way until 8 oclock every night. I blasted him in the evaluations for it. Never done it in my life. He decided to drop one of his classes the next semester and got a grad student to teach it so I like to think that my evaluation of him pissed him off enough that he didn't want to teach the people in my same grad-loop again.

The degree looks good on my resume for sure but it definitely shouldn't. Rant over.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Look at what happens when you put all of your time, energy and resources at accomplishing a goal. Congrats UF.

Too bad this came at the expense of the football program.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This is so spot-on. My grad program at UF was supposed to be one of the top grad programs in the country... it was a joke. Two of my professors were over 80, the other two that were consistent professors were over 70.

One taught a technology course and ADMITTED ON THE FIRST DAY THAT HE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY AND THAT HIS GRANDKIDS HAVE TO HELP HIM WITH HIS IPHONE. Not kidding. Just taught straight-up from a textbook like it was some lazy AP high school teacher or something.

Some of the other courses were pathetic too, one was using decades-old philosophies/theories that had all been replaced. It is not an exaggeration to say that there was not one thing from that particular course that would ever be applied in the real world today. It was as useless as learning from a medical textbook in the middle-ages.

Another class had presentations that would last the entire 3 hour class-time, that the professor admitted he has recycled for many years, and he would regularly go off on long 15-30 minute tangents that had nothing to do with the class, just to "entertain us." Not cool when we are all professionals with jobs and/or kids and you keep us all the way until 8 oclock every night. I blasted him in the evaluations for it. Never done it in my life. He decided to drop one of his classes the next semester and got a grad student to teach it so I like to think that my evaluation of him pissed him off enough that he didn't want to teach the people in my same grad-loop again.

The degree looks good on my resume for sure but it definitely shouldn't. Rant over.
You're classes sound like this
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.