UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Homer J

Lifetime Member
tuteled under tater as a player and ended up D2. coastal carolina ran a sideways offense and won low scoring games the last few years. liberty offense is pretty good, but hes "co-OC" and sounds like the he's the 1B.

Right up tater's alley... IF he were hiring an OC.

Which he isnt.
They did something Auburn couldn't do - beat New Mexico State (TWICE).

Swamp Donkey

7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Yeah. It’s been around for a while. Supposedly Chris Doering is the guy floating the rumors.

I don’t know much about his experience. I’ve heard good and bad things.
Worked with Freeze for years. Freeze cutting him lose and never promoting raises questions with me.

Now with Chadwell at Liberty as he stayed when Freeze went to Barn. Im not sure he has ever been a real play caller, coOC for two HCs who call their own plays. Im not even sure how you fuse Freeze's mostly sideways offense with Billy McElshark inside/outside/split zone anyway.

To me the run-first zone running seems like the nonnegotiable part of Slingblade's game. His passing game is vanilla spread concepts (variations of floods mostly) and screen passes galore. Perhaps Korn is meant to bring some passing game? But Freezeball isnt exactly anything a passing game to be copied.

It's an odd choice to me but his name has been rumored even back to the time Slingblade got hired.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Anyone else seeing rumors of Willy Korn being hired for OC?
He has been a co-OC since 2019. Good to know UF will be the first time he is finally out of his training bra and become the sole OC. The thought of this hire gives me tingles down my leg. Woohoo!

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Yeah. It’s been around for a while. Supposedly Chris Doering is the guy floating the rumors.

I don’t know much about his experience. I’ve heard good and bad things.
Billy having to reach. See how it goes against Oregon. Liberty did have some high scoring games.

MertzJay26

Lifetime Member
They did something Auburn couldn't do - beat New Mexico State (TWICE).

Count Me In Rick And Morty GIF

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
There isnt any sort of smoke, rumors or anything about a DL coach. After the whole Partridge rumor that was debunked in less than 24 hours there has been nothing.

t-gator

too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
I see 2 different possible ways this plays out. He either comes in and brings the system they ran at CC and liberty, has full reign. Pretty sure their offense requires a DT QB so DJ takes over and we have a good season.

Other scenario is he calls plays out of Billy's playbook. Runs Billy's system. And it's kinda like Gus malzahn's teams . In the sense that he has new coordinators but the offense never changes .

Gator CPA

I see 2 different possible ways this plays out. He either comes in and brings the system they ran at CC and liberty, has full reign. Pretty sure their offense requires a DT QB so DJ takes over and we have a good season.

Other scenario is he calls plays out of Billy's playbook. Runs Billy's system. And it's kinda like Gus malzahn's teams . In the sense that he has new coordinators but the offense never changes .
Or Slingblade falls flat on his face and gets $hitcanned along with ALL of his assistants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator