UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I always figured he was a gin and tonic/Benson & Hedges menthol/Drakkar Noir type.
See, that's where we differ. I always imagined him as a Camel filterless kinda guy, who would eventually consider that moving to Marlboro Reds was a healthy life choice...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
See, that's where we differ. I always imagined him as a Camel filterless kinda guy, who would eventually consider that moving to Marlboro Reds was a healthy life choice...

Grantham was never interested in his own health. As long as he could still fit in those unhemmed, cuffed, ultra pleated khakis, and occasionally manage to do his “air golf” practice swing in non-golf settings, he was content.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Grantham was never interested in his own health. As long as he could still fit in those unhemmed, cuffed, ultra pleated khakis, and occasionally manage to do his “air golf” practice swing in non-golf settings, he was content.
A HS coach told me he thought Grantham was not terrible but gave off the vibe that it was a big deal for him to visit and that he cussed nonstop. Their team is very involved with FCA so that didn’t go over well.

Another HS coach who has a 5* prospect gave me a rundown of the guys he has seen in just the last few weeks. Norvell is saying “We are where we said we’d be.” Dabo pushes family atmosphere. Lanning tells his personal over-achiever story - which is a good one - and notes only Oregon has $55bn Phil Knight’s backing. Kirby talks about their development process and success.

Billy is extremely personable, lays out his plan, how the kid fits in and all UF has to offer, and so far is the only one who talked about teaching them how to manage their money, saving, investing, building financial security etc., which impressed him.

He also said a DL transfer costs about $500k.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Billy is extremely personable, lays out his plan, how the kid fits in and all UF has to offer, and so far is the only one who talked about teaching them how to manage their money, saving, investing, building financial security etc., which impressed him.
I think the best course of action financially is to get a head coaching job at a decent program. Whether you succeed or fail, you're set for life.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think the best course of action financially is the get a head coaching job at a decent program. Whether you succeed or fail, you're set for life.
Make It Rain Money GIF by yvngswag

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I mean...he has to be really good at convincing players to come to UF, right? Our recruiting rankings and star avg has gone up slightly even though our record continues to drag along the bottom.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I mean...he has to be really good at convincing players to come to UF, right? Our recruiting rankings and star avg has gone up slightly even though our record continues to drag along the bottom.
no doubt he's got some type of knack for selling his vision in a way that makes kids feel good and in a way where they see where they fit. but i think the well went dry on that tactic this offseason. if he doesnt win big this season its over.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Billy is a really likable dude in person. I'm sure he excels with the parents and the kids, because he truly does care about the kids. The problem is the type of coach he is compared to the type of program he is currently the head coach of.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Billy is a really likable dude in person. I'm sure he excels with the parents and the kids, because he truly does care about the kids. The problem is the type of coach he is compared to the type of program he is currently the head coach of.
He’d be beloved as a middle school coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He’d be beloved as a middle school coach.

middle school, high school, low level college program. I mean as much of a douche canoe as Butters is. He was smart, got his money from us, then went to a low level college program where he would be one of the good coaches and could probably retire with limited expectations.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
As a fan, his face is slappable. Do players really like him after they see what a loser mentality he has? Probably not. Is there a coach in history who is failing and finds success after only reassigning his already mediocre collection of loyal assistants?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As a fan, his face is slappable. Do players really like him after they see what a loser mentality he has? Probably not. Is there a coach in history who is failing and finds success after only reassigning his already mediocre collection of loyal assistants?
GMAFB. Billy is a nice guy, nothing "slappable" about his face - you'd think he looked like George Clooney if we were winning.

Not surprised at all that the kids (and the parents) like him.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
GMAFB. Billy is a nice guy, nothing "slappable" about his face - you'd think he looked like George Clooney if we were winning.

Not surprised at all that the kids (and the parents) like him.
He would look like Clooney, Spurrier, Meyer, or Saban if he were winning. But so far, he's a loser.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
middle school, high school, low level college program. I mean as much of a douche canoe as Butters is. He was smart, got his money from us, then went to a low level college program where he would be one of the good coaches and could probably retire with limited expectations.

Uh...I guess he needs to go to a lower level because he isnt even close to being one of the good coaches in the MAC. Butters smart? I guess with your logic, Chump was an offensive genius and muLLLLLLLen was a force to be reckon'd with on the recruiting trail. Butters is and was a moron. Pretty neat, huh?

1709236601581.png

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He would look like Clooney, Spurrier, Meyer, or Saban if he were winning. But so far, he's a loser.
Thanks for making my point.

Nobody would GAF about what he wears, his haircut, his drawl, etc, if he was winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator