UF Football....‘It is much more of a rebuild than any of us want to believe’

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Cubelic also doesn't think Emory will see the field this year. He's not big enough, the line stinks, and Grimes and Jefferson likely won't be available. And Mullen won't want him crushed physically or psychologically by throwing him to the wolves on a team that will have to perform miracles to go even 7-5 or 8-4. He'll bring him along slow.

This is not going to be nearly as big a turnaround year as people hope. Gonna take lumps.

First part is correct, we might have those receivers, and we do have positives on both sides of the ball. I expect us to be competitive in every game except perhaps Bama and Auburn if we play them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now as I was asking Donkey perhaps the view here is UF's last five classes have been over rated by the recruiting services?
Over rated, maybe, but certainly tragically flawed and completely undeveloped.

When one gets three stars there is quite a difference between the high three stars who are also being recruited by Osux, Bammer etc and the ones being recruited by FAU.

It also matters whether or not said three stars are appropriate fornthe system. Hug, strong slow OL 3 stars work well for a straight ahead power offense. Smaller, faster, more agile but perhaps less strong types work better for spreads.

But surely you knownthese things and are just being dull.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you have gone over to the dark side of the pumpers with low expectations of UF football.
Ive always been a realist. Look at evidence, look at how they performed in the past , predict.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
When one gets three stars there is quite a difference between the high three stars who are also being recruited by Osux, Bammer etc and the ones being recruited by FAU.

I have had a thought of investigating whether or not this is true for a while. It would really be an interesting study.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ive always been a realist. Look at evidence, look at how they performed in the past , predict.

Well I look at the past of UF's program and see a program that should be right up there. I expect a new coach to accomplish that right away. You pumpers want to get Mullen 8 or 9 years I guess.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Will Duncap destroyed the offense and Butters finished off the defense.

Half of our roster is Sunbelt or worse.
There is no denying how bad this is.

When is the last time we had this least talented of a roster? I’m 36, so this is about as bad as I remember it. Know we were on probation in the mid 80’s, don’t remember it though. I’m guessing we were still more talented then too.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cubelic also doesn't think Emory will see the field this year. He's not big enough, the line stinks, and Grimes and Jefferson likely won't be available. And Mullen won't want him crushed physically or psychologically by throwing him to the wolves on a team that will have to perform miracles to go even 7-5 or 8-4. He'll bring him along slow.

This is not going to be nearly as big a turnaround year as people hope. Gonna take lumps.

I agree with this. I think if Jones sees the field then that means Franks and Trask are either both injured or playing so poorly that there is no other option but to bench them.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And yet.....

Mac got a $7.5 million buyout. It's beyond belief.

I consider him a thief. Yeah... Foley clearly made a bad hire and didn't do the due diligence needed, but Mac clearly had no idea how to coach a team or decided that he didn't want to deal with it and stopped trying. Either way the guy is a thief.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have had a thought of investigating whether or not this is true for a while. It would really be an interesting study.

You could do the same with the 4 stars as well. A guy ranked 50th in the country and is a 4 star is probably way better than the 325th ranked 4 star. That's a pretty big gap.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Over rated, maybe, but certainly tragically flawed and completely undeveloped.

So then you are arguing part of it is that the talent is under developed? So shouldn't a new coach come in and quickly develop such talent. I do agree a couple or three years in the talent might be even more developed, but given the schedule this fall, I expect lots of wins.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You could do the same with the 4 stars as well. A guy ranked 50th in the country and is a 4 star is probably way better than the 325th ranked 4 star. That's a pretty big gap.

Yeah part of it would be the number of the ranking, but what I am interested in is are the 3 stars guys signed by the big programs different than the 3 star guys signed by even the lower programs in the same conference?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
When is the last time we had this least talented of a roster? I’m 36, so this is about as bad as I remember it. Know we were on probation in the mid 80’s, don’t remember it though. I’m guessing we were still more talented then too.

Really what you want to know is when was the last time UF fans thought UF has this little talent on the roster. And really it should be talent compared to our competitors.

I would guess this was the spring of 1990. UF's numbers were down due to coming off probation. UF's key offensive talent was Emmitt Smith and he bailed and went to the NFL with a year of eligibility left. Smith had gained about 42% of UF's yards from scrimmage in 1989 and he left.

But it turned out AS COULD HAPPEN THIS YEAR, there was more talent on UF's roster than many feared. If this coaching staff has it, there is plenty of talent to win lots of games this year. I say 10, but others say less. If UF were to win as few as 7 games this year, then Mullen is on the hot seat.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad Cubelic made these statements. It seems there's an unwritten rule to not bash the last guy too much. I wish more of the media/former players/'insiders', etc would come out and speak about the issues under Butters. At least Muschamp made an effort and worked hard - he just shouldn't have been hired to run a program OJT.

Like Ox, I'm disgusted by the $7.5 million pay out. But what's bothered me since it happened was the raises/extensions that Nord, Nussmeir, and McElwain got. Why? The UAA knew what was going on. They knew the program was being run into the ground. But they gave out raises/extensions? WTF?? Heads should have rolled down there...but instead, you get all the bloviating non-sense about how great everything is. The day Foley made the "...we're not getting into an arms race." comments he should have been let go. I hope Stricklin got a reprimand placed in his file over the raises/extensions, regardless if Foley negotiated them before he took over - Stricklin should have stepped in and said, "Oh!! HELL NO!!"

Let's not forget our "Stepford media drones" at the Sun ripping all of us for voicing concern about the direction of the program to include calling us "gidiots" for not appreciating the fine job the beatnik was doing all the while knowing about all the crap going on behind the scenes.

Yes, the AD knew and should have done something
Yes, the UAA knew and should have done something but they are somewhat conflicted given their employer.

The Drones on the other hand have one job and one job only and that is to tell the Gatornation what is going on in the program.

UF and the paper should clean house now.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
The situation reminds me of the late seventies, when Doug Dickey destroyed a good program and helped set the table for the rise of FSU. Almost a decade of mediocre to miserable coaching (then and now) doesn't get cured overnight. Last year was so bad, from any perspective, I can't help but believe that things will improve significantly - in fairly short order (2-3 years) perhaps. After all, the bar's not that high. Our schedule is fairly easy, and we do at least seem to have a real HC/staff again.

I was in the 8-4 or 9-3 camp prior, to the spring game, based primarily on the weakness of our schedule and the eastern division in general. I still believe that good things are happening, but it's going to take a serious infusion of talent to be competitive with UGLY and the Bammers. Six wins is the worst I see happening, but more important than wins is bringing in new blood and scraping the shat of the last 8-9 years off our shoes. Eight wins, with a minor bowl game and a top ten class in 2019 would be an excellent first year. Of course, much worse is also possible. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
The only ones that will be surprised by this are those who believe we’ve got 10 wins in the team. Hell, even 8 wins is a joke yet somehow the Pumpers think it’s a sure thing.

I don’t think it’s the pumpers saying it will be a ten win season. In fact it’s the people with unrealistic expectations that get butt hurt when we don’t win ten, aligning them more with the piss and moan side of chatter.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok so what is your new updated win total prediction for next season? 3-4? I still stick with 8 or 9 wins but I am always optimistic and cheerful and positive in life so idk...

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Totally. I don't frequent these boards enough to know who says what usually, but I see people out there that say those statements seriously...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.