UF Football....‘It is much more of a rebuild than any of us want to believe’

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The word rebuild is being tossed around like we're the Cleveland Browns of the SEC.

Crete, what do you think?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law flipped. He can now say that he early predicted the correct outcome because he has been on both sides.
I've said 6-6 or 7-5 likely all along. But it could get very ugly if the OL doesn't improve greatly.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Really what you want to know is when was the last time UF fans thought UF has this little talent on the roster. And really it should be talent compared to our competitors.

I would guess this was the spring of 1990. UF's numbers were down due to coming off probation.
No way. We still had tons of top SEC talent, just poor numbers. Not even close to today's numbers though, but the scholarship limits were 100 then I think.

Who do we have that plays on one of the top teams now? No one on the line, Cleveland? Maybe. Scarlett, maybe maybe not. CBs and a DT or two... maybe.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So then you are arguing part of it is that the talent is under developed? So shouldn't a new coach come in and quickly develop such talent.
You can't be this slow. Well maybe you can, you keep saying UAB and UWVa.

Half the talent, at least, is sunbelt or div 3 shyt. The rest is underdeveloped.

I'm not arguing shyt, I describe. Just like last year most were predicting (hoping) for an offensive explosion. I described what we had.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sold on Mullen but I'm hopeful as usual.

It's obvious that we don't have the depth of the top tier teams but I think we have the potential to be twice as good, record wise, as last year. That would be 8 wins. With a few breaks, maybe even better. Would I bet a weeks pay on it? He!! no.

I have noticed that most players get bigger and stronger as they mature, most even learn from their mistakes. That alone gives me hope that with some coaching, a 3 star HS player will not be a 3 star soph or junior. To think they never improve doesn't seem realistic to me but I've been wrong every year for the past 8. Not a track record to brag about.

With lower expectations it might be possible to sneak up on Gajaw or FSphew!

God, I'd really like to beat those two again....

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
No way. We still had tons of top SEC talent, just poor numbers. Not even close to today's numbers though, but the scholarship limits were 100 then I think.

Who do we have that plays on one of the top teams now? No one on the line, Cleveland? Maybe. Scarlett, maybe maybe not. CBs and a DT or two... maybe.

1. I am talking about ex-ante feelings in 1990. You are talking ex-post. We can compare ex-post when it happens, I guess. Still we can not really compare ex-post unless UF has the kind of coach like UF had in 1990, ie young, smart and aggressive.

2. The scholarship limits went from 105 to 95 to 85 I think hitting 85 in the late 1980s. UF was limited to 70 at the low point of probation so yes that 1990 squad was down in numbers.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The only ones that will be surprised by this are those who believe we’ve got 10 wins in the team. Hell, even 8 wins is a joke yet somehow the Pumpers think it’s a sure thing.

And yet, you can be relatively sure by November the pumpers will say DM needs time to rebuild while the dumpers will call for his head.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And yet, you can be relatively sure by November the pumpers will say DM needs time to rebuild while the dumpers will call for his head.
I’m considered a “dumper” and I think he needs 4-5 years before we pull the trigger. This program is a joke right now and we need some stability. As long as he doesn’t quit like Meyer or go full retard like Mac, we should give him time.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, Mullen is ours for a while.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
iu

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. I am talking about ex-ante feelings in 1990..
No I'm not. People love to talk about Shane Matthews being for string or 5th string and leaping to the front of the depth chart as if he's a walk-on. but he was an All-State kid in Mr Football in Mississippi. Our roster was stuffed full of guys like that at almost every position 3 and 4 deep.

I know you like to continue to pettle your theory that stars don't matter. At least you are consistent.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I’m considered a “dumper” and I think he needs 4-5 years before we pull the trigger. This program is a joke right now and we need some stability. As long as he doesn’t quit like Meyer or go full retard like Mac, we should give him time.
I agree but I think 3 to 4 years is enough.....There is an old saying that a coach can help make a program and that is certainly true....however a program like UF even in it's current state can help make a coach. I think Mullin is decent and if he works these fertile recruiting grounds properly he can pretty well douche the roster by the time he gets his 3rd class into fall practice....There may be a few bumps in the road recordwise (this year in particular) but he's got to generate some excitement with the offense....I don't think trying to T.O.P. opponents into 13-10 wins will work out very well and with the state of our defense right now it would be suicide....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Normally three to four seasons because the first is really not a full recruiting cycle.

We have every right to think Mullen has and will build job security, but nothing is given.

You have one thing you absolutely have to deliver or your stay will be shortened. Continual improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.