UF pilfers FAU to hire Kerry Dixon II as WR coach

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n175061 said:
After overpaying for Rumph, they had to cut some corners here. They said on Gator Country that they are actually paying this guy just $12.75 an hour, and no overtime
This is the only plausible explanation.

Huge kudos for Rumph. Not sure what the hell is going on with this hire. We must have been turned down by every Wr coach east of Denver and got all they way down the list to FIU on the "anyone else who has coached offense" list.

I pray hes a good recruiter at least, but one wonders why scUm didnt figure that out.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
heversle;n175079 said:
Being receivers coach doesn't seem like rocket science. If Dixon can get our WRs to do this he'll be fine:

1. Study the playbook.
2. Run the right route.
2. Run crisp routes.
3. Be quarterback friendly when the play breaks down.
4. Get downfield and block for teammates when they have the ball.
5. Beat press coverage and aggresively attack the ball in the air.
6. Be a hands catcher opposed to a body catcher
7. Be a perfectionist and refine your craft (get in the film room, stay after practice with JUGS machine, get extra reps with QB to build chemistry, etc)
8. Play loose and have fun.
9. Be a team first guy (Get teammates lined up properly, don't false start, stay out of trouble off the field)
10. Get up field, move the chains, and protect the ball!

If he can emphasize these things as a coach, we'll be fine. And I don't think some of you realize how crucial recruiting South Florida is to turning this program's fortunes around. If Mac tabbed this guy as the WR coach, he obviously thinks highly of him. I'm confident this will pay dividends for us sooner than later.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. The position has a few nuances but for the most part it's mostly about athletic ability. I agree that this was as much about recruiting as coaching.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Big Mac coached WRs at four different schools between 1987-2005. no doubt he will be offering major input to both Dixon and his players in practice. he's the one with his hand on the wheel and all he has to do is make sure Dixon is translating his concepts effectively. when the results show, those big receivers will too.

Attachments

• conv_2396.jpg
    conv_2396.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 32

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Law98gator;n175227 said:
This is the only plausible explanation.

Huge kudos for Rumph. Not sure what the hell is going on with this hire. We must have been turned down by every Wr coach east of Denver and got all they way down the list to FIU on the "anyone else who has coached offense" list.

I pray hes a good recruiter at least, but one wonders why scUm didnt figure that out.
Actually Oregon's Lubick turned us down too. So you can add west of Denver as well.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
NoGaGator;n175206 said:
Totally dumbfounded by this hire - Mac had been doing so well building a staff and now this? ... at a position that's had little experienced coaching for years?

UF has lost at least 7 Florida 4/5 * wideouts to Bama/Clemson/FSU/USC the past several years and now this for a WR hire -with no WR coaching in background?

Mac/Nussmeier must be confident they can lead their development and Dixon had better have some great relationships in SoFla.

I wonder how many of those all star wideouts made their school choices based on the reputations of the wide receiver coaches? My guess would be that most of them made the decision based on the head coach and the winning record and/or offensive scheme of their chosen team. If reputation is the main thing then Chad Ochocinco really would have been the best choice for the job.

I also have to remind myself that recruiting responsibilities are usually assigned by geography and not position so that the receiver coach doesn't just recruit receivers but a particular area of the state or region.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n175241 said:
Big Mac coached WRs at four different schools between 1987-2005. no doubt he will be offering major input to both Dixon and his players in practice. he's the one with his hand on the wheel and all he has to do is make sure Dixon is translating his concepts effectively. when the results show, those big receivers will too.

Does this mean we will recruit 5-6 wrs every class?

/sarcasm

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n175253 said:
I wonder how many of those all star wideouts made their school choices based on the reputations of the wide receiver coaches? My guess would be that most of them made the decision based on the head coach and the winning record and/or offensive scheme of their chosen team. If reputation is the main thing then Chad Ochocinco really would have been the best choice for the job.

I also have to remind myself that recruiting responsibilities are usually assigned by geography and not position so that the receiver coach doesn't just recruit receivers but a particular area of the state or region.

Good post! However, you'd think Shannon is the south FL guy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n175253 said:
If reputation is the main thing then Chad Ochocinco really would have been the best choice for the job.
We must have drastically different understandings of what Ochocinco's reputation is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n175261 said:
Good post! However, you'd think Shannon is the south FL guy.
UM is still going to suck next year and the year after at least. It makes sense to steal every recruit from there we can.

We've lost almost every battle with FSU and Bammer we've had for the last 6-7 years so, this makes sense for the time being.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n175241 said:
So it's OJT for the no name RBs coach?

Tell me why Leak couldn't have done that also? Other than Leak refusing to work for 12.75/hr?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NoGaGator;n175206 said:
UF has lost at least 7 Florida 4/5 * wideouts to Bama/Clemson/FSU/USC the past several years and now this for a WR hire -with no WR coaching in background
Exactly.

Well, at least he can tell recruits about all those kids he put in the NFL.... :crickets:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait ! The ultimate hear is a WR Coach who will coach'em up and most definitely develop them over the seasons.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Law98gator;n175268 said:
Exactly.

Well, at least he can tell recruits about all those kids he put in the NFL.... :crickets:

right now, that's Mac's job. he can tell them all about guys like deion branch, zek parker, arnold jackson, deandra cobb, and matt trannon - his NFLers from his time coaching WRs and STs at Louisville and MSU. moving forward, we'll see if Dixon can take up the torch that Mac is trying to pass him. he certainly has a better overall coaching resume than Mr. Leak. and experience as a WR as opposed to QB has to count when it comes to coaching these kids up. let's see how it plays out.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So on a scale from1 to 10, with 1 being horrible hire and 10 being wonderful hire, what would you rate this hire?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BLACKCELL;n175345 said:
Give the guy a season... Then, he will either get a raise or shown the door.

Your User-Name > :racist:

:bananawave:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n175339 said:
So on a scale from1 to 10, with 1 being horrible hire and 10 being wonderful hire, what would you rate this hire?

Well let's see. Our last four WR coaching hires have been:

1) A guy who was fired because of the finding of serious recruiting violations at his previous post.
2) A graduate assistant
3) A guy who was fired because of alleged recruiting violations while at UF. Unacceptable.
4) A guy who was previously on support staff as a film room guy.

:fingertap:

Taking all these things into consideration, I'd say this is a homerun hire! It's all about perspective fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator