UF pilfers FAU to hire Kerry Dixon II as WR coach

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
oxrageous;n175597 said:
So one notable player in all those years?

the main point was that he got a group of guys to the big dance.

and stardom like Branch's is a relatively rare thing in the NFL given the number of guys who go into and out of the league. we've put several WRs into the league over the last 25 years, but I'd say that only Harvin's name, and maybe Hilliard's would be ones that a layperson who wasn't a Gator would recognize the same way they would Branch's. the bulk of collegiate position coaches and the players they develop can never lay claim to that sort of eventual superstar notoriety even once.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n175613 said:

and stardom like Branch's is a relatively rare thing in the NFL given the number of guys who go into and out of the league. we've put several WRs into the league over the last 25 years, but I'd say that only Harvin's name, and maybe Hilliard's would be ones that a layperson who wasn't a Gator would recognize the same way they would Branch's. the bulk of collegiate position coaches and the players they develop can never lay claim to that sort of eventual superstar notoriety even once.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't ban you for life?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n175613 said:

Harvin and Hilliard as the only recognizable? I guess you don't follow the NFL at all then. :facepalm:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just messing with him. A little newbie hazing, that's all.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
MJMGator;n175644 said:
Harvin and Hilliard as the only recognizable? I guess you don't follow the NFL at all then. :facepalm:

Not saying some other former Gators WRs are not recognized by some fans, but I do say Harvin, and maybe Ike, are the only ones with the same level of big name recognition as Branch for casual NFL fans. i'm all about Gaffney, Caldwell, Taylor, Nelson, Jackson et al, but the average NFL fan who isn't cheering for the teams they guys are/were playing for and isn't also a Gator fan won't automatically have these guys names' rolling off their tongues or connect them with UF.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You know coaches get players into the next level? They coach somewhere that the players have next level talent. Zook and Muschamp sent plenty of players to the NFL, and no matter how hard he coaches him, I'm afraid Billy isn't going to get Kurtz into the NBA.

Welcome to the Big Time Coach Mac and Coach Dixon. Have fun and kick azz.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n175339 said:
So on a scale from1 to 10, with 1 being horrible hire and 10 being wonderful hire, what would you rate this hire?
2 or 3. There has to be someone worse, like, I guess, the LB coach at FIU but I cant come up with one right now. And Im sure there is a Wr coach somewhere that got his school in trouble with the NCAA. Or maybe Ron Zook. Those guys would be 1s I think.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n175798 said:
2 or 3. There has to be someone worse, like, I guess, the LB coach at FIU but I cant come up with one right now. And Im sure there is a Wr coach somewhere that got his school in trouble with the NCAA. Or maybe Ron Zook. Those guys would be 1s I think.

After 3-4 positive posts, the true colors shine thru.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is no way around this is a trash hire, a trash hire that we waited months to do because we couldn't get anyone better.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n175846 said:
There is no way around this is a trash hire, a trash hire that we waited months to do because we couldn't get anyone better.

we obviously waited on someone we couldn't get. But I'll wait and see if it's a trash hire. He probably hired him because he shows promise as a recruiter. It's a head scratcher but you have to think he was hired for a reason.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, maybe I should have said an extreme stretch. This is the kind of guy Central Michigan hires.

I hope he works out and I notice that he has some Montana background. Probably has a friend who is a friend of Mac.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
LongTooth;n175714 said:
Not saying some other former Gators WRs are not recognized by some fans, but I do say Harvin, and maybe Ike, are the only ones with the same level of big name recognition as Branch for casual NFL fans. i'm all about Gaffney, Caldwell, Taylor, Nelson, Jackson et al, but the average NFL fan who isn't cheering for the teams they guys are/were playing for and isn't also a Gator fan won't automatically have these guys names' rolling off their tongues or connect them with UF.
What you got against our white WR's like Collinsworth, Doering, McGriff and Cooper?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He apparently coached qb AND wr when he was the OC at that div II school. So there's that.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
GatorTAG;n175852 said:
What you got against our white WR's like Collinsworth, Doering, McGriff and Cooper?

nothing. just pulled some of the other WRs names. didn't really think about race.

Cris was one of my earliest Gator heroes, but does predate the period i was referring to. Travis only stuck in the league for a couple years, but not being the biggest or fastest WR, he deserves props for making it. Doering never was able to settle in with anyone. Glad to see Riley has stayed on at Philly. Do wish he would cut the hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator