UF running game vs UT et al

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n283806 said:
........... I think the keys to this game are:
if we score each time we touch the ball and cause them to have 3 and outs......

Huh? Who would've thought us scoring each time we touch the ball, while forcing them into 3 and outs would've been a key to victory???

You, good sir, are a football knowledge god. Coach Mac should hire you to help him game plan. ;)

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n283832 said:
My guess us this is why Treon is still in the conversation at QB. His ability to scramble and the fact that he's beaten UT before. Its going to be another low scoring game.

Grier can scramble just as well as Harris can.
Are you really crediting the UT win to Harris? He threw for a total of 17 yards in that game. He didn't win that game, he just didn't give it away like Driskel was, big difference.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n283904 said:
Are you really crediting the UT win to Harris? He threw for a total of 17 yards in that game. He didn't win that game, he just didn't give it away like Driskel was, big difference.

I credit Harris with the win because he uplifted the players around him to play better. His stats weren't great but the morale changed once he stepped onto the field.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In each game UT has played this year, they have gotten progressively worse in terms of run defense. That stat includes going from OU to Western Carolina. Obviously, OU was forced to abandon the run since they got down early and quick, but to let Western Carolina hang 189 on you is pretty pathetic.

It will be frustrating if we don't put up 150 or so on the ground. Especially if our two-headed QB can't get into a rhythm. In many ways, I keep telling myself that Jimmie Mac is holding back special plays for future, bigger opponents like UGA, but the reality might just be that what we've seen is who we are and my BP won't get any relief until next season. Go Gata!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Im fairly certain we arent holding back. If 2 out of 3 games against supposed inferior opponents come down to the wire and the coach is "holding back" during them, then youve got to assume being held back was at least a part of the reason it was so close. Any coach that intentionally inhibits a team to the point of real danger is a moron and I don't think any of us feel that way about Mac. We aren't holding back, we just arent very good at this point.

If you want an example of a coach intentionally holding us back offensively, watch replays of the last 4 seasons. It's not happening this year.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n283779 said:
UT's LB's are garbage except for Reeves-Mabin and he is overworked and undersized. Their Middle Linebacker is some guy named Jumper, a walk on, who can't play a lick. He's the dude running three steps behind everyone when you watch their defense, or getting flagged for desperately holding some TE who just ran past him. Their other choice at MLB is some True Freshman who couldn't beat out the aforementioned Jumper. Aside from Barnett, none of their D-linemen are great run-stoppers, and that's actually not Barnett's strength either.

UF will out-rush UT, UF will win unless some fluky stuff happens like we miss 3 Field Goals or throw red zone INT's or give up a punt return TD, etc.
They are really missing Curt Maggitt at LB - who should have been a Gator anyway. Chipped bone in his hip vs. OK.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...eers-linebacker-curt-maggitt-chipped-bone-hip

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n283959 said:
If you want an example of a coach intentionally holding us back offensively, watch replays of the last 4 seasons. It's not happening this year.

Touche'

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Go Gata;n283919 said:
In each game UT has played this year, they have gotten progressively worse in terms of run defense. That stat includes going from OU to Western Carolina. Obviously, OU was forced to abandon the run since they got down early and quick, but to let Western Carolina hang 189 on you is pretty pathetic.

It will be frustrating if we don't put up 150 or so on the ground. Especially if our two-headed QB can't get into a rhythm. In many ways, I keep telling myself that Jimmie Mac is holding back special plays for future, bigger opponents like UGA, but the reality might just be that what we've seen is who we are and my BP won't get any relief until next season. Go Gata!

In fairness, 64 yards of that was on a run against the scrubs in the 4th quarter, and I'm sure a lot more of it came against the scrubs, as well.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are brutal. I'll slip away again for a while! Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n284202 said:

Don't be so sensitive. Learn to give it right back and you'll do just fine here! :box:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
If UF scores more points than ut, Gators win!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
G8RNGA;n284202 said:

Hey, I liked your ideas. I came up with a few more in fact:

-Try to score more points than your opponent.
-Make your opponent turn the ball over and don't fumble or throw interceptions.
-Don't miss Field Goals in case the game is close in the end.
-Don't smoke weed when celebrating after a win because they might drug test you the next week

jk, we all need some levity after today's news.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt we get too many yards rushing since they kept Oklahoma in check there a little.The only way we can probably have a decent game rushing the ball is if we break a couple of real long ones. I doubt we can establish a steady run game against their defense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n283806 said:
They are actually terrible at rushing the passer and in sacks when you look at the stats. I think the keys to this game are:

Stats may say that due to the offenses they were playing but the part of the game I watched the Oklahoma QB didn't have a lot of time back there and they were applying decent pressure.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
WobbleGator;n283776 said:
Somehow, someway, we will out rush Tenn come Saturday.

Sacks reduce rushing statistics, no? I think we found out how to out-rush them. :thumbup:

But more seriously, it looks like for both teams it would be a matter of the defense outmans the offense, but which one does it better?

​
Law98gator;n283804 said:
Their Dbs suck azz. They looked like a 1aa secondary vs Bowling Green. We should be able to throw ALL DAY LONG. Once we back their Dbs up fearing bombs over Hoggetowne, the running room will be there. We will run the ball in garbage time to kill the clock. I don't care much what our ypc is.

Can't argue against this, since it's been the case more years than not. Neither team really shoves it down the other's throat in recent games. Both teams try to balance their attack to keep things open, but in the second half we've led the rushing specifically as you say - garbage time, kill the clock. Last year is the exception, perhaps, in that we didn't have a lead to sit on and kill time, but in general this is how I recall us winning the rushing battle - holding the ball in the second half, converting to 1st downs, and running out the clock.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
​
URGatorBait;n283904 said:

I'm one of those who gives him credit for the win. Without TH, we end up losing with Driskel no question about it. You really want to hold up 17 yds passing as a stat? Why not put it in context, that he was in for only the fourth quarter, that he was 2/4 for passing (not that 50% is great, nor is attempting only 4 passes when you are trying to come back on the road) with zero interceptions (JD had 3 by then). His playing time is summed up as 22 total plays in the game - 4 passes where he connected with OUR team on half of them, 4 runs by him (up for debate on his decision making to tuck and run, but he got us 24 yds), a FG, a punt, and the other 14 plays were called runs with Taylor and Jones. You could argue he had up to 8 passing plays called (if you assume all his runs were supposed to be passes. But all in all, he got very limited time, very limited passing calls, and still led us to a come from behind victory, on the road in a hostile environment.

I'm not a TH supporter - I want whoever will get us the win. But I will argue he really does deserve credit for helping us get the win last year and will call BS on your pointing to 17 yds as meaning something other than we ran the heck out of the ball.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I said this in another thread, but Jalen Hurd won't be the one hurting us on the ground. If anything, it'll be Dobbs scrambling that could potentially kill us. UT's rushing stats are horrifically inflated because they rolled up on Bowling Green and Western Carolina. They couldn't even manage 3 ypc against Oklahoma. We'll be the best defense they've seen this year by a longgggggggggggg shot.

As far as us running the ball on them, we just need to get the ball on the perimeter and keep them from stacking the box. Hell, use a bunch of quick screens to the wideouts as our running game if we can't get anything going with the RB's. It's worked against both ECU and UK. Or use that jumbo package a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.