UF's Next Football Head Coach

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I might have the cart ahead of the horse here but oh well. Many if not all are calling for it already and it does need to happen. So Jeremy its all on you now. And you dang sure better have a good reason for not pulling the trigger now rather than later. With that said I wanted to go over a some thoughts:

Several things concern me about all of this. First UF needs change with the football program. And it needs it now. The big thing is who can come in next year? Who is the big name out there capable of being hired? The answer is.... I don't know that there is the availablity or possibility of that happening. Sure there are many out there that are capabale but just not in a situation to come to UF. Hopefully I am wrong. But still WM must go and now!

I truly think that UF's next coach whoever it be will not be a savior, he is going to have to bridge us to the future. Foley needs to look at the big picture. Sure there is a possibility that a coach can come in and turn us around. But this team is at a point its going to need more work than when Meyer resigned. Couple that with the possibility that there is no home run coach out there to take this job. With that I feel he is going to have to put a staff together that will set up for future success. Wether it be a Spurrier, Shanahan, or the like to bring in great or promising coaches to build us for the future. One example is Kerwin Bell. We love him, want him to succeed, and want him to possibly be a coach one day. But right now its the wrong situation and one that would not support him. If we love our Gators, don't set him up to fail. But yet bring someone like him in under an experienced HBC and get him ready to do the Job. And in the same token Kerwin go get some D1 experience. Your school may need you one day. I am not trying to pump Kerwin for the job, but this is a time to rally our base, bring our talented Gators home, and rally the Gator Nation. Therefore build UF for the long term.

The next coach is going to have to repair many aspects of this program. Team Chemistry, Recruiting, The Fans, The Boosters, and the National Perception. When the media shakes their heads at us as they did last night......HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM. So we have a tall order to fill and not sure the pool of candidates will be enough to fill the demands UF has. But know for sure Muschamp is not the answer and he needs to go, immediately. So what coach do we find, go after, and hire. Who knows. There are a lot of names out there. I just hope we find one. There's no telling if he'll be the bomb like a Malzahn, etc. in a short time. I feel we have really a serious canyon, not hole, to dig out of. As I said in another thread Meyer may have stated the program was broken, but WM blasted it into oblivion.

So we need to get a good reputable man with some experience to be our HBC. If we get a home run guy, great. But I hope its a coach that will build for the future. Hire great assistants and build a great coaching tree. Perhaps reach out to former Gators and get them much needed experience to help with that future. It may be a big stab but UF is at a point there's no reason not to try. And UF is an attractive program for many to consider. Just hope the stars align and the right one is out there. GO GATORS!

In Ox's esteemed words.....Discuss

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Solid post. Just disagree on the next guy being a bridge. I see no reason why someone can't come in and win right away. Jaywalker has a post on this and I used that same '89-90 scenario in a post last night. We have enough talent to win. The players have simply checked out on this staff.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That post smacks of Steve Spurrier - - master puppeteer.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
First, you're putting the CART before the HORSE.

Second, the post is too long and my ADD couldn't follow SQUIRREL!..... What were we talking about?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I find this helpful when playing, "what if."

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n84773 said:
Solid post. Just disagree on the next guy being a bridge. I see no reason why someone can't come in and win right away. Jaywalker has a post on this and I used that same '89-90 scenario in a post last night. We have enough talent to win. The players have simply checked out on this staff.
It's sad that we're just hoping someone can be a bridge

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There have been some crazy names thrown around, but I think in the end it will be someone out of Mullen, Cutcliffe, Doc Holliday, and I even saw something today about Tom Herman, Ohio St.'s OC and QB coach. Guy has put up great numbers at places like Texas St., Rice, Iowa St., and now OSU as the OC at all four. Granted, he's never had HC experience, but he's a name to watch in the national coaching search in general.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n84785 said:
It's sad that we're just hoping someone can be a bridge

Hope we can get it turned around quick. We'll see how the search goes when it begins.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CGgater;n84781 said:
First, you're putting the CART before the HORSE.

Second, the post is too long and my ADD couldn't follow SQUIRREL!..... What were we talking about?

Thanks for catching the snafoo. As far as what I was talking about....the same thing we have been since last night. And for it being too long? This from the poster that missed the most important stat from last nights game.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n84795 said:
There have been some crazy names thrown around, but I think in the end it will be someone out of Mullen, Cutcliffe, Doc Holliday, and I even saw something today about Tom Herman, Ohio St.'s OC and QB coach. Guy has put up great numbers at places like Texas St., Rice, Iowa St., and now OSU as the OC at all four. Granted, he's never had HC experience, but he's a name to watch in the national coaching search in general.

Pretty solid there Sas. I sure hope its an OC backgorund with some HC experience.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I'm going to say it in every coaching candidate thread I see. I demand a search committee because I don't trust foley with this. The right hire and we don't have to wait to win. A Zook or Muschamp hire and we are in rough shape for a while.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n84795 said:

I would say that your probably in the right ball park you and law both. Though I don't think holiday will get any consideration.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n84773 said:

I agree with you. To me we are in such a situation who knows how long it will take to fix. But I sure would like to see your scenario play out. Having a type of Malzahn at Auburn turnaround would be great.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n84810 said:
I'm going to say it in every coaching candidate thread I see. I demand a search committee because I don't trust foley with this. The right hire and we don't have to wait to win. A Zook or Muschamp hire and we are in rough shape for a while.

I'll be on the committee:proud:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n84814 said:
I'll be on the committee:proud:

I'd be good with that. Foley has something to prove to all of us. He needs input from many. And a committee is a good idea. He needs to earn the respect of the Gator Nation back.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n84823 said:
I'd be good with that. Foley has something to prove to all of us. He needs input from many. And a committee is a good idea. He needs to earn the respect of the Gator Nation back.
Thanks for your support I'll do my best

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I still like the idea of bringing in someone like Lance Leipold. Sure, it's a lower division, but he's a proven winner. He was a QB and hes got a little D1 Asst. experience at Nebraska.

We took a chance on a new up and comer with Billy The Kid, why not something in the way. It worked with Urban.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
NVGator;n84860 said:
I still like the idea of bringing in someone like Lance Leipold. Sure, it's a lower division, but he's a proven winner. He was a QB and hes got a little D1 Asst. experience at Nebraska.

We took a chance on a new up and comer with Billy The Kid, why not something in the way. It worked with Urban.

Lance Leipold Record 100-6 Damn!
You know what they say: If you can win at Wisconsin-Whitewater you can win anywhere. :)

"On October 18, 2014, Leipold reached 100 victories faster than any coach in National Collegiate Athletic Association history"

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I've never been a big fan of Tony Dungy, but could you imagine the 180 degree turn families of recruits would have in the state of Florida if he were UF HC? First a visit from classy Dungy wearing a SB ring and talking about how their son would be treated and taken care of, then a day later, Jimbo struts in the door wearing his sunglasses at night saying the same thing, while defending rape and having no moral backbone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator