UF's Next Football Head Coach

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;84923]I'm frankly getting little burnt out over all the derision and over-speculation over the next coach. Yes, we're all anxious to know when it happens and who'll get the nod, but it's anyone's guess as to who. Let's get this sad chapter over with and move on. [/QUOTE] You're already tired of it? 78, there is going to be at least two more MONTHS of it, so settle in.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n84923]I'm frankly getting little burnt out over all the derision and over-speculation over the next coach. Yes, we're all anxious to know when it happens and who'll get the nod, but it's anyone's guess as to who. Let's get this sad chapter over with and move on. [/QUOTE]

:popcorn:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n84923]I'm frankly getting little burnt out over all the derision and over-speculation over the next coach. Yes, we're all anxious to know when it happens and who'll get the nod, but it's anyone's guess as to who. Let's get this sad chapter over with and move on. [/QUOTE]
It's the only positive thing we've had to talk about in months

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n84907 said:
You people and this "must be an HBC" bs. Most minor conference HBCs FAIL when they move to the SEC. That's a huge transition and On the Job Training. Hell, Boise State alone has an entire line of flops. Plenty of championship coaches have been terrible to mediocre when they move to the SEC (Donnan, Mumme, Holtz, the list could continue forever). They have to figure out how to win in the SEC and how to recruit against the big boys. Throwing out guys who make 65,000 a year being the HC at Wis Whitewater? Embarassing.

There have been plenty of OC flops, too, but there's less to learn for an elite OC IMO than a guy who has no idea how to score against SEC D's.

The reason Zook failed is because he is a failure. He was a terrible DC. As a HBC, he still had a terrible defense and also screwed up the offense.

The reason Chimp is a failure is because he believes in Ray Goof run up the middle football and steadfastly refuses to turn the offense to someone with even the slightest clue about how to move and score.

Hawkins failed but Peterson hasn't. Too early but I'll give it time. Who are you inferring? Pease?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Hey guys were forgetting one thing...we still have to fire Dawgs*** and it's looking like it's not happening tomorrow or this week.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n84936 said:
Hey guys were forgetting one thing...we still have to fire Dawgs*** and it's looking like it's not happening tomorrow or this week.

In good time.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n84926 said:
Valid observation. I still tend to lean towards the SEC, NFL and CFL playing and coaching experience, the SOS training and love of all things Gator.

That's a good lean and well deserving. With the said coach, you are just going to get polar opposite opinions based on personal feelings.

Either way, you could bring in a Bell or Leipold and be that CEO and then hire outstanding talent around you with the experience of the SEC or Top 5 Conf.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n84795 said:
There have been some crazy names thrown around, but I think in the end it will be someone out of Mullen, Cutcliffe, Doc Holliday, and I even saw something today about Tom Herman, Ohio St.'s OC and QB coach. Guy has put up great numbers at places like Texas St., Rice, Iowa St., and now OSU as the OC at all four. Granted, he's never had HC experience, but he's a name to watch in the national coaching search in general.

I would be surprisingly ok with Cutcliffe.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n84980 said:
I would be surprisingly ok with Cutcliffe.

Maybe if he was hired and kept Roper around, we could see what his offense is truly capable of.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
NVGator;n84958 said:
That's a good lean and well deserving. With the said coach, you are just going to get polar opposite opinions based on personal feelings.

Either way, you could bring in a Bell or Leipold and be that CEO and then hire outstanding talent around you with the experience of the SEC or Top 5 Conf.

We agree

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Cutcliffe won at Ole Miss when he had Eli Manning. When Eli left, Cutlcliffe promptly went 4-7. Ole Miss fired Cutcliffe because they were serious about wanting to go to the next level. They made a big mistake by hiring an SEC has-been Houston Nutt because Nutt had previous experience as the head coach at Arkansas.

Cutcliffe is a fine man and a knowledgeable, good football coach. He likes it at Duke. He is a good fit for Duke. Duke is not Florida. I know Spurrier was at Duke before he came to Gainesville, but Spurrier was on his way up, Cutcliffe is going to finish out at Duke then retire. Cutcliffe is old, looks old, and is a Phil Fulmer disciple where he was the right hand man to Fulmer and Peyton Manning's coach. We don't want Cutcliffe. Cutcliffe likes it at Duke. He is the right man for Duke at this time.

By the way, someone mentioned getting a committee to hire the next UF coach. Ole Miss went that route when they hired Hugh Freeze. Archie Manning headed the committee to hire Freeze who is turning out to be a home-run hire. But all coaching selections carry somewhat of a risk. I think we knew Urban Meyer was going to win here, and I think Alabama knew Nick Saban was going to win at Tuscaloosa. But those kind of slam dunk hires are not always available.

Also beware of committees in this day and age. You will get politically correct academic types that want to include a woman, or some ivory tower person who does not like football, or a student, and you know what I mean.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind Jim Tressel, Dana Holgerson, or Rich Rod personally.

C

Clayton Aldridge

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's kind of tough to say who would be the best option. I think there's no question that the next guy needs to have successful coaching experience, and needs to be offensive minded. Really the two guys that come to my mind is Mullen and Freeze. I really don't believe Mullen would come to Florida. He put a verbal smack down on Florida fans last week. He also didn''t make many friends during his tenure in Gainesville. I would honestly be surprised if Foley even offered him the job anyway. I think Freeze would be the more realistic out of the two. He's also had more success than Mullen, in a shorter amount of time. However, like Mullen, I'm not sure he'd leave Ole Miss. Though winning the sec east is a lot easier than competing for the sec west every year. Freeze would be my first choice.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Cutcliff won't get looked at. They're not going to hire any coach who has already been washed out of the sec.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying he's not a good coach btw. It's funny how we all have different opinions though

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Clayton Aldridge;n85009 said:
It's kind of tough to say who would be the best option. I think there's no question that the next guy needs to have successful coaching experience, and needs to be offensive minded. Really the two guys that come to my mind is Mullen and Freeze. I really don't believe Mullen would come to Florida. He put a verbal smack down on Florida fans last week. He also didn''t make many friends during his tenure in Gainesville. I would honestly be surprised if Foley even offered him the job anyway. I think Freeze would be the more realistic out of the two. He's also had more success than Mullen, in a shorter amount of time. However, like Mullen, I'm not sure he'd leave Ole Miss. Though winning the sec east is a lot easier than competing for the sec west every year. Freeze would be my first choice.

Frieze is home at Ole Miss. We have a better chance at Mullen. Listen to Frieze after the Bama game. He's not leaving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.