UF's Next Football Head Coach

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n84860 said:
I still like the idea of bringing in someone like Lance Leipold. Sure, it's a lower division, but he's a proven winner. He was a QB and hes got a little D1 Asst. experience at Nebraska.

We took a chance on a new up and comer with Billy The Kid, why not something in the way. It worked with Urban.

Leipold has a helluva record at UW-Whitewater. 100-6 and 5 championships. No reason why he couldn't. I know its D3 but we need a good coach that will overall implement things that will work. No reason it couldn't here. There have been just as successful stories of folks making the jump to FBS. The coach in waiting thing and hiring him didn't help us here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to see how his team plays. If they're balanced or not. It's a pretty big jump from d3 to the SEC. But that's one hell of a record

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n84874 said:
Leipold has a helluva record at UW-Whitewater. 100-6 and 5 championships. No reason why he couldn't. I know its D3 but we need a good coach that will overall implement things that will work. No reason it couldn't here. There have been just as successful stories of folks making the jump to FBS. The coach in waiting thing and hiring him didn't help us here.

Exactly. Look, I understand the SEC is big jump from a lot of places. Hell, look at Beilima at Arky. He still hasn't won a conference game yet we've got a couple HBC recently removed from HS tearing it up.

We need to be created with this hire.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If they strike out with all the big names I don't think it would be a bad idea to hire Chad Morris . Especially if he can bring clemsons d coordinator Brent venables with him.(Bob stoops dc for 11 years). Those guys recruit well and both have been winners their entire career . I know he doesn't have head coaching experience but he's hands down the best up and coming OC with a pedigree identical to art briles, Gus malzhoun, and Hugh freeze. This would be my back up.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As WM would put it we need a coach who has a firm grip and knows the midline. Sounds as if Leipold has both already as WM does not.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm glad someone else suggested this but I wonder if a non-FBS but winning head coach is a better bet than a FBS coordinator. Florida is no place for on the job training - I think we've proven that with Zook and Muschamp.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n84894 said:
I'm glad someone else suggested this but I wonder if a non-FBS but winning head coach is a better bet than a FBS coordinator. Florida is no place for on the job training - I think we've proven that with Zook and Muschamp.

it is a good question but you have think a good coordinator at a major program has more experience game planning against the best football minds in the game opposed to a bunch of d3 coaches. And more experience recruiting big time talent. That big of a jump would be on the job training.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
TN G8tr;n84874 said:

Somebody please explain why Leipold is a valid candidate and Kerwin Bell isn't. Before you answer, please compare the full scope of experience and results. KB was a better QB than his teammate Harbaugh. Kerwin is an SOS disciple and would be the closest thing to recalling the Head Ball Coach.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n84897 said:
it is a good question but you have think a good coordinator at a major program has more experience game planning against the best football minds in the game opposed to a bunch of d3 coaches. And more experience recruiting big time talent. That big of a jump would be on the job training.

I'm sure there are going to be some differences and some OTJ training with either group you go with. Seasoned asst/coord.'s will bring the aspect as you say game planning and recruting sure. But we're all asking for a HC that's had that experience. A philosophy and system that's proven. I guess the selection group would have to pick one over the other. Maybe a selection form another division may work, who knows. D3 to FBS is a big one but anything can happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You people and this "must be an HBC" bs. Most minor conference HBCs FAIL when they move to the SEC. That's a huge transition and On the Job Training. Hell, Boise State alone has an entire line of flops. Plenty of championship coaches have been terrible to mediocre when they move to the SEC (Donnan, Mumme, Holtz, the list could continue forever). They have to figure out how to win in the SEC and how to recruit against the big boys. Throwing out guys who make 65,000 a year being the HC at Wis Whitewater? Embarassing.

There have been plenty of OC flops, too, but there's less to learn for an elite OC IMO than a guy who has no idea how to score against SEC D's.

The reason Zook failed is because he is a failure. He was a terrible DC. As a HBC, he still had a terrible defense and also screwed up the offense.

The reason Chimp is a failure is because he believes in Ray Goof run up the middle football and steadfastly refuses to turn the offense to someone with even the slightest clue about how to move and score.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n84904 said:
I'm sure there are going to be some differences and some OTJ training with either group you go with. Seasoned asst/coord.'s will bring the aspect as you say game planning and recruting sure. But we're all asking for a HC that's had that experience. A philosophy and system that's proven. I guess the selection group would have to pick one over the other. Maybe a selection form another division may work, who knows. D3 to FBS is a big one but anything can happen.

Your exactly right. Look at Jim tressel he came from a small school like that. And there's a good chance we are going to have to make some compromises somewhere

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I firmly believe well I wish I hope that Florida just might have cold front sweeping through in early January

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n84897 said:

I disagree. Just because someone is a great OC/DC at a power conference doesn't give them any edge. Sure, they may have more experience in certain areas but perhaps they aren't a great CEO.

It's like saying only a Forbes Top 10 Company has to hire a Forbes Top 10 CEO.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n84903 said:
Somebody please explain why Leipold is a valid candidate and Kerwin Bell isn't. Before you answer, please compare the full scope of experience and results. KB was a better QB than his teammate Harbaugh. Kerwin is an SOS disciple and would be the closest thing to recalling the Head Ball Coach.

Since you brought up my suggestion of a coach, I'll assume you are talking to me. I read the KB thread and completely agree with your POV. Only difference I saw about Leipold is his record and championship vs. Kerwin's. They are both dealing with a certain level of talent.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n84907 said:
You people and this "must be an HBC" bs. Most minor conference HBCs FAIL when they move to the SEC. That's a huge transition and On the Job Training. Hell, Boise State alone has an entire line of flops. Plenty of championship coaches have been terrible to mediocre when they move to the SEC (Donnan, Mumme, Holtz, the list could continue forever). They have to figure out how to win in the SEC and how to recruit against the big boys. Throwing out guys who make 65,000 a year being the HC at Wis Whitewater? Embarassing.

There have been plenty of OC flops, too, but there's less to learn for an elite OC IMO than a guy who has no idea how to score against SEC D's.

The reason Zook failed is because he is a failure. He was a terrible DC. As a HBC, he still had a terrible defense and also screwed up the offense.

The reason Chimp is a failure is because he believes in Ray Goof run up the middle football and steadfastly refuses to turn the offense to someone with even the slightest clue about how to move and score.
So you like my idea?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm frankly getting little burnt out over all the derision and over-speculation over the next coach. Yes, we're all anxious to know when it happens and who'll get the nod, but it's anyone's guess as to who. Let's get this sad chapter over with and move on.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Law98gator;n84907 said:
You people and this "must be an HBC" bs. Most minor conference HBCs FAIL when they move to the SEC. That's a huge transition and On the Job Training. Hell, Boise State alone has an entire line of flops. Plenty of championship coaches have been terrible to mediocre when they move to the SEC (Donnan, Mumme, Holtz, the list could continue forever). They have to figure out how to win in the SEC and how to recruit against the big boys.

"Zook failed because he was a failure" LOL

Spurrier came from Duke. Meyer came form Utah. Neither had much experience scheming against the SEC. If I'm interviewing a candidate for a job I would rather hire someone who has had the same duties at a smaller company than someone who held a different position at the same size company. Generally speaking.

Weis had experience against NFL defenses - SEC defenses shoulda been a cake walk.

We may not have the luxury of hiring a proven FBS head coach so we end up with either an FBS OC or a non-FBS head coach. Both Spurrier and Meyer made the steps up (granted form FBS schools) in competition because they had systems in place for managing coordinators, game clocks and everything else that goes with being a head coach. I'm believing that's a more critical skill than having faced SEC D's.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
NVGator;n84918 said:
Since you brought up my suggestion of a coach, I'll assume you are talking to me. I read the KB thread and completely agree with your POV. Only difference I saw about Leipold is his record and championship vs. Kerwin's. They are both dealing with a certain level of talent.

Valid observation. I still tend to lean towards the SEC, NFL and CFL playing and coaching experience, the SOS training and love of all things Gator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.