Update on the Mike Locksley situation

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
JU is in a non-scholarship conference. Kerwin used to complain about having to go around the state to recruit and he had nothing to offer the kids. It was one reason he left JU.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Perhaps I am somewhat arrogant but I think that I could call decent plays as long as you give me very good players that will execute them properly. For example UT was destroying Nebraska yesterday by end rushing. They never adjusted with another back TE or even another offensive lineman. We lack in players, and in execution a new coach could help in both.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Perhaps I am somewhat arrogant but I think that I could call decent plays as long as you give me very good players that will execute them properly. For example UT was destroying Nebraska yesterday by end rushing. They never adjusted with another back TE or even another offensive lineman. We lack in players, and in execution a new coach could help in both.

Sometimes its just that simple. Like leaving an extra blocker to pick up the blitz.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No you couldn't. This isn't like calling plays on your Xbox. You have to anticipate what coverage the defense will be in, anticipate if they will blitz, look at the formation when they line up and call something that could exploit it, all while considering field position, down and distance, game situation, time, and where you are on the hash marks. It also involves running plays early in the game to set up plays later in the game, like perhaps a trick play or play action. There's a LOT that goes into it.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
No you couldn't. This isn't like calling plays on your Xbox. You have to anticipate what coverage the defense will be in, anticipate if they will blitz, look at the formation when they line up and call something that could exploit it, all while considering field position, down and distance, game situation, time, and where you are on the hash marks. It also involves running plays early in the game to set up plays later in the game, like perhaps a trick play or play action. There's a LOT that goes into it.

Well that is your opinion and of course you are welcome to it. I don't play X box and have been predicting football calls in real time for many years, sometimes they are the same as those that work, some different from those that did not. And yes you have to consider all those things you just assume I don't know about those things. Now remember I have to have very good players who execute extremely well. I seem to remember a Dolphin team where the defense knew what was coming yet could not stop it. Do you think that you could call plays? And if you do why assume I could not? And some of those things are somewhat predictable from analysis of game tape which you have people to do for you.

In fact I can't play X-box or football in the real world, my body does not work well enough, fortunately only your brain is needed to call plays.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think with Sas' background in FB he'd be an upgrade if we had him as OC.

:popcorn:

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
Well that is your opinion and of course you are welcome to it. I don't play X box and have been predicting football calls in real time for many years, sometimes they are the same as those that work, some different from those that did not. And yes you have to consider all those things you just assume I don't know about those things. Now remember I have to have very good players who execute extremely well. I seem to remember a Dolphin team where the defense knew what was coming yet could not stop it. Do you think that you could call plays? And if you do why assume I could not? And some of those things are somewhat predictable from analysis of game tape which you have people to do for you.

In fact I can't play X-box or football in the real world, my body does not work well enough, fortunately only your brain is needed to call plays.
I use Jedi mind tricks to call my plays, really fcuks the D up.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

So because you predict plays while watching on TV, you're qualified to be a Division 1 OC? Seriously?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
So because you predict plays while watching on TV, you're qualified to be a Division 1 OC? Seriously?

I never said that, I did say I could call plays somewhat. You as usual are missing the point, you need players and they need to execute.

I should not even bother with responding to you, in fact I hear a special function needing to be used.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Couldn't do much worse, honestly. And I'll take the paycheck. :lol:

Oh now you can do something that I can't. How arrogant. And I would not need the paycheck, if I helped the Gators that would be plenty. Not that I am claiming I could, just that I have as good of a chance as say you.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I use Jedi mind tricks to call my plays, really fcuks the D up.

I remember some years ago SOS (I am not claiming to be like him) watching UT play somewhere and calling the plays the same as they were being called in real time. Now I don't claim to be an upgrade, I can't coach a position, but I do know you need good players who execute the plays properly. See the Bama comments in another thread for an example.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I remember some years ago SOS (I am not claiming to be like him) watching UT play somewhere and calling the plays the same as they were being called in real time. Now I don't claim to be an upgrade, I can't coach a position, but I do know you need good players who execute the plays properly. See the Bama comments in another thread for an example.
I also recall when SOS was asked about his play calling being predictable he said "Yep , they may know what we're calling but it's still their job to stop us".

Too much of a deal is made out of 'predictable" play calling. 95% of the time the other side of the ball knows what you're going to do. The key is to do it better.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I also recall when SOS was asked about his play calling being predictable he said "Yep , they may know what we're calling but it's still their job to stop us".

Too much of a deal is made out of 'predictable" play calling. 95% of the time the other side of the ball knows what you're going to do. The key is to do it better.

Exactly, sometimes you make a call that by its design has at least one advantage in matches. Check downs are to get from that play you would like to that one that is more likely to be open. Or at least that is my concept of it. I like to see a team taking what is there rather than taking what you might want.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Oh now you can do something that I can't. How arrogant. And I would not need the paycheck, if I helped the Gators that would be plenty. Not that I am claiming I could, just that I have as good of a chance as say you.
Well given my experience on the offensive side of the football, I think I have a leg up on most of you. That's not arrogance, it's just the way it is. If someone on here was in IT for 13 years, I wouldn't be offended if they told me they could program computers and write code better than I could.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well given my experience on the offensive side of the football, I think I have a leg up on most of you. That's not arrogance, it's just the way it is. If someone on here was in IT for 13 years, I wouldn't be offended if they told me they could program computers and write code better than I could.
You've got 13 years of football experience?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Like what? And what exactly do you know about my experience? And can anybody believe whatever is said on an internet board?

Now try answering this with all your experience. If you have two stars that don't run plays correctly and I have five stars that do who will be successful no matter the difference in our capabilities.

That is the question, nothing else. And that is our problem at UF, sure we are short on talent, sure the coaches could be better, but the execution is what is lacking.

I am not offended by you claiming something, but rather assuming things not in evidence, and apparently missing the point.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
You could pick out any GatorChatter poster at random, and he (or she) would be hard pressed to do any worse than the lineup of retards and mouth breathers we've had as OC's over the the last several years. Seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator