UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And yet I remember more losses to the west back then.
And yet the overwhelming majority of SEC title game winners were from the East. Spurrier consistently outperformed the West's best team head to head. Yeah bama won a few, but Florida won most.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I actually disagree, yeah Tennessee was a top program then, and was usually 2nd best in the league next to us, but we had their number. After that I guess maybe Georgia was 3rd best in our division, but they mostly underachieved during the 90's and the rest of the division was usually garbage. Once divisions were split Spurrier lost 4 times to the East, but lost 7 times to the west and that's not counting losses to Bama in sec championship game. We've always struggled with the west, we all know that. It just pure speculation looking at it that way, but based on Spurrier success against east and west. I'm glad we were put in the east from the beginning.

Well Auburn did beat us quite a few times when we were a top 5 team and Miss State had those 2 upsets I think it was but I would definitely say the East was harder to win probably despite Auburn seeming to have our number and those Miss State upsets.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
More losses to the west then vs now?

Butters just got his teeth kicked in by the worst team in the west and nearly lost to Corndog who had just fired their coach. (LOL and some pumpers say that game was one of the bright spots on Butterteef's resume.)

Hell wins against the west are exceedingly rare now.

I dont know what kind of Nav stuff you are smoking but SOS didnt have a 25% winning percentage against the west.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
More losses to the west then vs now.

Butters just got his teeth kicked in by tje worst team in the west and nearly lost to Corndog who had just fired their coach. Some pumpers say that fame was one of the bright spots on his resume.

You're always going to spin things towards the negative. Yes, LSU just lost their coach, however they were playing by far their best football once O took over. They were blowing teams out, and their only two losses the remaining of the season (post Miles) were to us and Bama (only by 10). See schedule below.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-lsu-tigers-football-schedule.php

It's ok to admit the LSU win @LSU was a nice win. You can do it buddy!

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
More losses to the west then vs now?

Butters just got his teeth kicked in by the worst team in the west and nearly lost to Corndog who had just fired their coach. (LOL and some pumpers say that game was one of the bright spots on Butterteef's resume.)

I dont know what kind of Nav stuff you are smoking but SOS didnt have a 25% winning percentage against the west.

No, but his win % was worst vs the west than the east.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
And yet the overwhelming majority of SEC title game winners were from the East. Spurrier consistently outperformed the West's best team head to head. Yeah bama won a few, but Florida won most.

The point is, since we seemed to struggle more in the regular season with the west even back then, would we have gotten to Atlanta as many times.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The point is, since we seemed to struggle more in the regular season with the west even back then, would we have gotten to Atlanta as many times.
You could counter by saying if we were in the West playing the familiar teams instead of a rotation of teams wed see once every 3 or 4 years we'd be fine in the west and struggle with the east. We can play these what ifs all day, it wont get either of us anywhere. What is fact is that we were the dominant team in the SEC under spurdog for quite some time, and that included against the West's best.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Tinerce was always the second best program amd usually top 5 and Ugly was more often than not the 3rd best and usually top 10.

Much like the east is now, everyone in the west was trash.

Georgia had like maybe two top 10 years once we went into divisions in the 90's, that would have been 1992, 1997. Auburn was better during that stretch and they were hit with probation. The dawgs were mainly a disappointing program in the 90's and not just because we dominated them.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Well Auburn did beat us quite a few times when we were a top 5 team and Miss State had those 2 upsets I think it was but I would definitely say the East was harder to win probably despite Auburn seeming to have our number and those Miss State upsets.

Tennessee beat us a few times and the dawgs beat us once. Nobody else in the east beat us. While in the west and only playing 3 west teams a year mind you, Auburn gave us 3 crushing defeats 93,94,01. Losses that may have kept us out of the Natty title chase. Miss St did seem to give us trouble on the road. LSU got us in '97 and broke our long streak of consecutive SEC wins. Then Bama came to the swamp in '99 and upset us. Yeah I think we would have still won several western divisions and SEC's, but based on how we always did struggle more with that side, it would've been harder.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
You could counter by saying if we were in the West playing the familiar teams instead of a rotation of teams wed see once every 3 or 4 years we'd be fine in the west and struggle with the east. We can play these what ifs all day, it wont get either of us anywhere. What is fact is that we were the dominant team in the SEC under spurdog for quite some time, and that included against the West's best.

Yeah you could say that, like I said originally that it was speculation to judge it how I was judging it, but I don't see another way to. Was never denying that we weren't dominant under Spurrier and that included dominating all SEC teams home and away. Just less dominant vs the west. Haha

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Tennessee beat us a few times and the dawgs beat us once. Nobody else in the east beat us. While in the west and only playing 3 west teams a year mind you, Auburn gave us 3 crushing defeats 93,94,01. Losses that may have kept us out of the Natty title chase. Miss St did seem to give us trouble on the road. LSU got us in '97 and broke our long streak of consecutive SEC wins. Then Bama came to the swamp in '99 and upset us. Yeah I think we would have still won several western divisions and SEC's, but based on how we always did struggle more with that side, it would've been harder.

I just think you could go back and look at most of the Spurrier years and most people would say the top 3 SEC East teams were better overall than the top 3 SEC West teams. Tenn was always around the top 10 it seemed back then.

Well I'm sure there's one thing all Gators can agree on, is that we're glad we're not in the west now.

True as we would have some more losses that is for sure and no SECCG appearances the past 2 years. Heck when Muschamp was here the 2nd place SEC East team was either 7-1 or 6-2 all 4 years. That is why the Muschamp not making an SECCG comparison to Mac is a joke.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Save y'all from having to click the link cuz that's how I roll.

"A report from Alex Wilcox of WNDU-TV in South Bend quotes sources saying Zaire has chosen Florida and is simply waiting for the SEC to alter its graduate transfer restrictions.
But if the league alters the rule -- and Florida sources feel confident it will -- it could clear the way for Zaire's transfer."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I doubt it. I think Mac's plan is to stockpile a dozen QB's or so.

Yep, I'm not overly excited about this. But I guess more options is better in our situation. Sure will make fall practice more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.